PDA

View Full Version : entry level vinyl cutter

PhilRat
29-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Can anyone recommend me an entry level vinyl cutter, not going to be used for heavy usage, maybe only a few times a week. My heat press platen is only the 28cm x 38cm so it only needs to suit that. Thanks

Justin
29-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Cheap cutters on eBay but mixed results, some swear by them but can be hit and miss. The Silhouette Cameo may suit your needs. It's not a quick machine but is tiny and surprisingly capable.

PhilRat
29-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Thanks Justin, was about to buy the Cameo yesterday, but just thought i would ask around first. Probably will go with it seeing as its such a reasonable price

Manic Mike
27-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks Justin, was about to buy the Cameo yesterday, but just thought i would ask around first. Probably will go with it seeing as its such a reasonable price

Does anyone know if it matters what vinyl is used for heat pressing? Has anyone used vinyl that didn't come with the Silhouette?

bmhdg1976
27-07-2016, 09:56 PM
We have started it with the Cameo and love it. Very capable little machine.
Yes we have used Avery vinyl (cast) for external use and general things and have used both silhouette and other Heat Transfer Vinyl. We mainly use other HTV now becaus in Australia finding the Silhouette material to expensive for what you get (can get better quality for cheaper).

When using others you just have to play with the blade depth a little to make sure get a nice clean cut but most of the time we have found the standard settings are ok.

To to be honest using it has given us the stepping point to get into this area and are loving it.

BJ

Dave271069
27-07-2016, 10:05 PM
silhouette cameo all the way.
amazing machines use mine every day for 3 years.