PDA

View Full Version : First time screen printing

paul 44
15-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I have a job on where i need to screen print some shirts onto the backs and fronts of black shirts, front is a small logo, back is almost A3 size.
Does anybody recommend any good suppliers for inks and to get the prints done for the screen printing, I basically need everything.

Is it better to make your own boards for the screen printing?

I have been asked to do a test print on a shirt as the customers last screen printer made a total mess of the shirts.

Paul

Paul
15-05-2016, 04:04 PM
what quantity you after?
If you never tried screen printing before, stay away from taking jobs on before you learn. it not as easy as it may look like ;)

paul 44
15-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Hi
Doing a test tee first for him so ideal opportunity to get into it and it's a good business opportunity also.

Think he will be after 10 of them

Paul
15-05-2016, 04:54 PM
oh dear :)
get someone to dtg them for you. I class myself as quite quick learner and i wasted about 100 garments before I was happy with one.
then of course, i keep wasting them now while I print but not as many... screen printing its very difficult to get it right. grab squeegee with wrong angle and you already have messed up garment ;)

Justin
15-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Just setting up for 3 jobs, there's so much to learn when you start out. If you're going to get regular work it's worth the pain but for small runs it won't be economical.

mr-gobby
16-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Most screen printers won't set up for less than 20 as it's not economical. If you go ahead though then be interested to hear how things go. It's a numbers game as well as a job of many variables, bit messy and needs space to do but probably rewarding when you get it right.

Mark

mrs maggot
16-05-2016, 03:30 PM
can it not be done with vinyl ?

A11kns
16-05-2016, 11:31 PM
A contact of mine charges £20 a screen for setup.. And min of 50 shirts. It's never easy and he wastes shirts even now and they have been in the business years. Colour match is a big issue

paul 44
17-05-2016, 02:27 PM
I havent committed to the job yet, only wants a test shirt but the back print is a 3/4 coverage of the shirt and the front is just a logo

paul 44
17-05-2016, 02:28 PM
can it not be done with vinyl ?

The customer does not want vinyl, wants it screen printed as it's for a band and needs longevity on the shirts

mrs maggot
17-05-2016, 04:56 PM
i do some band printing, and i see my t shirts from 6-7 years ago, all done in vinyl also i use plastasol transfers, why not get a quote for having those made up ??

paul 44
17-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I emailed the customer today and advised him that because of the size of the print it would not be wise for me to attempt it and possibly make a mess of his shirts. I advised that he may be able to DTG them instead. He did have a problem with his previous printer and they messed up the same shirts and sent them back that way, i wasn't going down that road so offered him a few other options, DTG being one as he was adamant he wanted them screen printed.

mrs maggot
17-05-2016, 05:33 PM
plastasol transfers will give you the look of a screened t, as that's basically what they are, a screen print transfer if you like, they will last well and are more economical in the long run, sometimes you have to explain to customers why certain things are not possible. I never print on a customers own t shirts, often they think they are getting a cheaper deal buying t shirts themselves, as you will only charge them " a couple of quid for decorating them" they never see the behind the scenes work that goes into converting artwork etc.

paul 44
17-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The size of the print is pretty big, maybe 3/4 of the back so even my press won't cover it, lose lose for me on this job haha