PDA

View Full Version : Screen Printing Mag

AJLA
30-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Is there such a thing as a screen printing magazine available?

John G
30-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Never read one but I dare say there will be. Get the screen sorted, whack some ink on and give it a go - the only way your going to learn is hands on. :)

Cheers John

AJLA
30-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Funny enough i've just said that to my dad John, we are hoping to receive a sample from colenso tomorrow so that we can make our first possie :shock:

John G
30-09-2010, 05:57 PM
What have they recommended to make the posi and what printer are you go to use to print the posi out.

Cheers john

AJLA
01-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Colenso have recommended :-1 roll IDF34 100 micron inkjet film 431 x 30mtrs and will be printed on an Epson 7600pro with Eternachrome pigment inks.

John G
01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Never used inkjets for a posi but have heard other people using them - think they used a folex type film/paper but it was opaque.

Not sure but this could be something like it.

http://www.inksupplies.biz/cnb/shop/ima ... egoryID=59 (http://www.inksupplies.biz/cnb/shop/imagetek?productID=394&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=59)

Cheers John

AJLA
01-10-2010, 12:41 PM
The sample we are waiting for is opaque, our other option I suppose is to take our stuff up to a local copy shop for them to print.

By the way we are about to buy a couple of squeegees but we have conflicting info, should we use square or round and shore hardness of 70?

John G
01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I've always used square but I think round pushes more ink through the mesh and is aimed more at fabric printing only. I've haven't bought squeegees for a long time, as I have a large range with spare blades, but if I was you I'd get the square type as you'll be able to print other items such as vinyl stickers etc. Buying the round and I think you'll be stuck to printing fabric. As for shore hardness - tell them what you would like to print and take their advice.

Cheers John

AJLA
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks John :)

Tom Wiliams
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm now completely afraid of screenprinting.

AJLA
06-10-2010, 05:58 PM
:shock: :o Me too Tom. I,ve just received some samples today to make some possies up on Friday as i'm away tmorrow and i'm a bit jittery about it all. Luckily this is one area that my dad has taken quite an interest in, he should be retired really but lucky for me this has kept him in action :D Good ole dad !

I will let you know..

By the way John, the company you gave me a link to "Folex" provided us with a very generous and impressive pack of various items suitable for my Epson 7600 which is great so we can now experiment with the possies using different methods.

Ian M
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm now completely afraid of screenprinting.

Tom, never go look at something like a fully automatic Svecia cylinder press then. :lol: :lol:

I worked at a screen printers after leaving school & they had one which was an amazing piece of kit but, boy when it went wrong now & again did it go wrong.

Ian

John G
06-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Never worked on one but have seen many in action, especially the auto flatbed type where the bed comes shooting out - plenty of things to go wrong there with all the moving parts and timings etc. :shock:

John

Ian M
07-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Never worked on one but have seen many in action, especially the auto flatbed type where the bed comes shooting out - plenty of things to go wrong there with all the moving parts and timings etc. :shock:

John

John, the Svecia's were ultra reliable & never broke down as they are so well designed. Some similar looking machines used to go wrong big time & a couple of the copies I worked on had a tendency for a nut & bolt to drop off the vacum unit piston & straight into the casing where the fan was. On each occasion when we took the fan casing apart you would find all the small fan blades in a pile at the bottom :lol: I used to then put a piece of mesh over the opening to stop it happening again which it did.

The problem we had with the fully automatic Svecia cylinder press was the fork lift driver. On a few occasions he backed the fork lift into the auto stacker at the end of the machine & this meant it moved backwards towards the driers. The belts of the auto stacker would then rub against the driers belt & make go into reverse which, meant that all the material in the drier would then start heading back to the printer very quickly. You can imagine the mess it made & it usually meant a ripped screen & ink everywhere. I have to admit the first time it happend we were all scratching our heads why the drier suddenly went into reverse. :o

Ian