PDA

View Full Version : Printing a circle on a mug

Ian M
05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Silly question to ask but does anyone have a set rule to printing circles on to mugs?

The reason I ask is that when you print say a circular logo on to a mug it tends to look more oval than round being taller than the width.

I do adjust it but, to be honest I don't have any fast rule about adjustment I just do it by eye & usually it comes out right.

Ian :D

bms
05-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Why would a perfect circle, on paper, be different when pressed onto a mug?

accdave
05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I've never given it a second thought. We do the mugs for a football league club which is a circular badge and it looks fine.

Ian M
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Why would a perfect circle, on paper, be different when pressed onto a mug?

Martin, I know it is an optical illusion but believe me some do look oval when looked at from a small distance.

Ian

Ian M
05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I've never given it a second thought. We do the mugs for a football league club which is a circular badge and it looks fine.

Dave, as I said a silly question. :D

Ian

Justin
05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
No such thing as a silly question, just silly people who won't ask questions :lol: :oops:

accdave
05-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Dave, as I said a silly question. :D

Ian

That may be so but I bet if I go and look at one our mugs with a circle on tomorrow the damn thing will look oval :D

John G
06-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Is your design program not fitting print to page etc. or stretching the image - I've done plenty of round circles and never noticed a stretch on finished image.

Andrew
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
We have just done a couple of k mugs for a company and four of the designs had a circle on them as the main part. We had to stretch all these by 10mm accross to make it look more of a true circle to the eye. The first time we have had to do this but I guess the customer is always right.

A circle on the mug doesn't look like a true circle if you look at it straight on. I always stuck with the fact that it is a circle none the less which is usually good enough.

accdave
06-10-2010, 02:37 PM
It's a good job somebody has had an issue with it, Ian was just on his way out to specsavers :lol:

Ian M
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
It's a good job somebody has had an issue with it, Ian was just on his way out to specsavers :lol:

Dave, I've managed to cancel my Specsavers appointment........ :lol:

Andrew, many thanks for letting me know I wasn't going mad after all. :lol:

I've been stretching mine by 10mm too & that is all I wanted to know so, many thanks.

Someone just told me the earth isn't flat .......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian ;)

boristrump
20-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Dave, I've managed to cancel my Specsavers appointment........ :lol:

Andrew, many thanks for letting me know I wasn't going mad after all. :lol:

I've been stretching mine by 10mm too & that is all I wanted to know so, many thanks.

Someone just told me the earth isn't flat .......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian ;)
any chance you could upload your stretch 10mm circle as a template?
iv'e just notice this now it does look kinda oval!
thanks

RogerC
20-03-2013, 04:02 PM
It's something to do with 'parallax' distortion.....:biggrin:

Martinx
20-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm with you Ian. Unless you print a small circle, it does look oval. Can't be avoided, it's just the curve of the mug

John G
20-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I commented earlier on this but it was always small circles i've done in the past - I did a large circle the other day and it had to be stretched to look right on the mug. :confused:

Ian M
20-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Barry, I don't use a template I just increase the width by 10mm & that does the trick.

Ian M
20-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I commented earlier on this but it was always small circles i've done in the past - I did a large circle the other day and it had to be stretched to look right on the mug. :confused:

I just knew it was catching. :wink:

Ian M
20-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm with you Ian. Unless you print a small circle, it does look oval. Can't be avoided, it's just the curve of the mug

Thanks Martin.