PDA

View Full Version : Oven Pressing Times

fr3spirit
05-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I just tried a single mug in a jml halogen oven. 15 minutes at 185deg.
Fail! Bottom of the mug came out printed and image gradualy faded to the top of the mug.
This was my first experiment on mug machine subbing, having used press for single mugs before.
What times / temps do you use guys?
If you do a single mug in a halogen oven where would you position your mug? Also how would you position your mugs in the oven? Upside down so mug is closer to heat (as i did in the experiment)?
Thanks in advance for any reply.
Andy

Kaz
05-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't use an oven, yet.

But, did you have a mug wrap round it to keep the paper nice and tight?

Justin
05-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I used to have a couple of ovens, one of which wa the JML. The print needs to be right to the bottom edge and no more as it will easily bleed over. Wrap needs to be very tight and I always put blank sheets inbetween the print and wrap, pain to do this but I found the print bled through and back onto the blanket. How are you cooling after printing?

I think I used to get away with 12 mins but had to set at 20 mins for 4 mugs. Always did right side up.

fr3spirit
05-10-2010, 11:31 PM
yes sorry forgot to mention that, cactus wrap tightened with a ratchet spanner :lol:
I had the mug upside down so the base got most of the heat, the image had transferred, so wrap was tight enough just the base of the mug was finished properly....about an inch into the mug...then it starts fading....
I'm assuming I either took it out too soon 15 mins? Positioned the mug incorrectly...or?

fr3spirit
05-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Cooling...well once I took the wrap off and saw it hadn't worked fully.....I went and had a smoke to cool down :lol:
I just left it on the side, didn't bother dipping in luke warm water as it was now a waste mug...another for the crockery cupboard ;)

Justin
05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Are you sitting the mugs on the base or on a rack? Also, has the press got to temp. before you put mug in?

fr3spirit
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
The mug was on the base, upside down, I waited for the first time the light went out before loading the mug so I guess thats up to temperature. I have a rack and a metal ring that allows you to (in theory load 8 x mugs) but...I need to get 1 right first :lol:

Justin
06-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Not sure how long 8 mugs would take. Is this with the extension ring? Try a mug the right way up. Does the clamp appear to be even across the print with regards to pressure?

John G
06-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Don't have a clue, as never used an oven before, but I would say take the extension off altogether and cook 1 mug for around 12 mins.

bms
06-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I always thought these took 18-20 minutes at 200 degrees in an oven. In theory 1 mug should take the same length of time as 8 mugs as this is the benefit of an oven. If you're using Cactus wraps then you need to allow for the heat to transfer through the wrap, hence the longer time.

Whispered Spirit
07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
I've been using 1 of these ovens for about 2 weeks now and just taping on the transfers (sealing all around) with heat tape. Just make sure its snug and no air trapment. Had some great results. I put em in for 15 mins at 200* Also put them the right way up as the halogen is a downforcement of heat via the fan system so in effect it heats from the inside out as well as swirling heat around the outside. (Dont forget the gloves) :roll:

fr3spirit
07-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, next experiment will be mug up the right way, longer time, no extra ring, no worries with the gloves, in my other life I fought fires and have a few spare pairs lol they are a bit thick but the advantage being....feel nothing :lol:

R.Prints
07-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Have used an over for quite a while now. Sit mug on rack right way up, gets heat inside aswell as out. First mugs in oven from cold 200 oc for 20 mins, swap as quick as poss to keep heat up then do rest same temp for 12 mins. Always works for me.
Good Luck :)

AJLA
09-10-2010, 09:40 AM
We cook ours for 12 mins, warm wraps up first, put in right side up and we always use the blank sheets too. It was a lot of trial and error for us at the beginning but we get far better results with it now than my press.

fr3spirit
10-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Further experimented with up the right way, on the grill, warmed the wrap, 15 minutes, Perfect result! :) Will now take off a minute at a time down to 12 minutes and see how I go! Thanks guys n girls.

Justin
10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Nice on Andy ;)