PDA

View Full Version : yellow bloom appearing, help

richgrafix
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
just recently we have noticed we sometimes get what looks like a yellow bloom appearing around our images, any idea's what could be causing this,

we have been using the same ink and printer and papers for quite sometime without issue,

printer Epson D88 (now 3 years old done many 1000s of prints test prints and nozzle check spot on)
Ink Rotech (ready for a refill)
Paper signal or textprint (occurs with both)
Mugs, coralgraph and lovecut, (occurs with both)
cooking time 3 mins temperature 180c

any pointers or suggestions would be gratefully apreciated

Justin
10-10-2010, 10:02 PM
When you say a yellow bloom.....could it be a kind of burning colour? Does the paper look burnt at all? I sometimes get this using Tru-pix paper, if I don't get the paper to the mug edges the remaining area can go a very slight brown/yellow. Never happens with my Xpres stock of paper though. I guess the former perhaps needs less heat.

If you can get a pic please post, appreciate that may not be easy though.

richgrafix
10-10-2010, 10:21 PM
strangly when this happens the mugs seem to shatter into a thousand pieces when they hit the wall at great velocity foolowed by a few expletives but I should be able to replicate this in the morning and will photo and post both the mug and the paper! cheers Dave

Justin
10-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Lol, I know where you're coming from Dave :oops:

Paul
10-10-2010, 11:39 PM
i had that when print the t-shirts /from xpress/ had yellow halo around images. it was cozed by not enough preasure or to slow press closing. when you close your press to slow then gass is spreding around the image. but why yellow?? dont aks me lol. let us know if incresing preasure helpd. thx. paul.

bms
11-10-2010, 08:39 AM
You may find this is caused by a poor alignment in the printhead and a yellow colour is being printed (but very difficult to see). Check your print alignment (in the maintenance part of the printer on your computer) and try removing 'high speed' print in the same section.

DREAMGLASS
11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Looking at their eBay feedback, I know that Lovecut had some problems with the mugs they were selling. When they used to trade as Tek Press their mugs were an unreliable quality but the ones from Coralgraph were actually very good and I never had any problems with them, so I'd be inclined to rule out the mugs themselves.

It may be that your heat blanket is starting to deteriorate. A lot of them start to de-laminate which affects performance. I invested in one of those little infra red thermometers and found a temperature difference where the laminate was starting to separate.

JSR
11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Someone else had this issue just recently: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1269&p=10737&hilit=yellow#p10737 They used the same description that you have - "bloom".

If your D88 is three years old and has done 1000s of prints, I think you'd be better off looking at replacing it. My 1400, which hasn't exactly killed itself in the last two years, is showing a similar kind of thing.

It's strange how it's always the yellow colour. My 1400 has trouble with the black but the nozzle-check and alignment for the other colours is fine - yet it's the yellow that blooms out from the design.

It's interesting that three people have reported issues with this effect. It's not so noticeable if you cut your paper right up to the design, or printing an item right to the edge (like a mousemat or coaster).

If it's the same effect that I get, then it's not a heat blanket issue because it occurs regardless of whether I'm printing flat items in the flatbed or mugs in the mug oven (I haven't used the mug press for a while). Also, if it's the same effect that I get it's not the paper burning. I know exactly what that looks like, and this ain't it.

Unfortunately I have no solution to offer. I'm working on getting a new printer set up instead. I'm beginning to feel that, since the days of the 1290, Epson printers are just not intended to last long. Once I have my new printer running, I'm going to do some work on my 1400 (starting with removing the CISS and popping in some refills) to see if I can track down the issue, but that won't be for awhile yet.

richgrafix
13-10-2010, 10:59 PM
update on the yellow bloom!, it apears the printer is spraying a fine mist of yellow ink,, why or where from is unclear, I have changed my image format to PSD and removed the background, still appears, I have added a background and left some "white" spots and the yellow still appears, I have cleaned the printhead, re-aligned the printhead, problem still persists so new printer ordered see if that cures it, will update once its arrived and installed. :evil:

JSR
14-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Same solution here. I've been trying to get a B40W running as temporary replacement while I sort out the 1400 (which is three years old, not two as I said before), but the B40W is just not playing ball when it comes to its green colour cast (seems okay on high-saturation designs and clipart/logos, just not photos).

So I've had to fork out for another 1400. I wish someone sold "starter kit Artanium CISS". I have enough ink here of most colours and I'm not in the position to fork out for another full CISS right now, so I'll be using refills in one until I know if the original 1400 can't be salvaged for sure.

Justin
14-10-2010, 12:41 AM
City ink express sell the same quality cis Sawgrass use, not too expensive empty.

JSR
14-10-2010, 01:00 AM
City ink express sell the same quality cis Sawgrass use, not too expensive empty.
I'd rather have a few ml in it (say 40ml of each) so that there's no hassle in setting it up. It's just too expensive to have another 6x100ml ink system that costs £50 more than the printer when you already have sufficient ink of most colours on your shelf for the time being.

I'll probably end up swapping over the current CISS to the new printer and using refills in the old one for the time being, spending my money just on the ink colours that I need.

It's the same issue with the B40W. I don't want to spend £260 fitting a CISS to a £70 printer when I already have ink on my shelf. Why can't there be "second system" or "starter system" CISS with 40ml of each ink for less than £100?

DREAMGLASS
14-10-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't want to spend £260 fitting a CISS to a £70 printer when I already have ink on my shelf. Why can't there be "second system" or "starter system" CISS with 40ml of each ink for less than £100?
Some might suggest its because a certain manufacturer is centred on greed, by unfair domination of the market.

Paul
14-10-2010, 01:54 PM
city expres ciss 32 pounds for empty one. same as artanium as justin said. recomended. JSR - did u give up with B1100 idea?

JSR
14-10-2010, 03:23 PM
city expres ciss 32 pounds for empty one. same as artanium as justin said.
It's a pity there's no middle ground between "empty CISS from third party" and "full CISS from Sawgrass". If I'm just going to go for an empty CISS, I may as well stick with refills for the time being.

JSR - did u give up with B1100 idea?
Well, the B40W is being tricky enough that I figured the best option would be to go with what I know will work - and that's another 1400. I didn't want to end up struggling with two printers.

The B40W seems to be okayish with some designs - primarily ones that are predominantly green - but it struggles with anything that requires a good red, brown, or dark shadow areas. That may be down to the lack of light magenta ink, or just a profile that's not sufficiently accurate, I don't know for sure. All I know is that there's far more "pop" to certain images from the 1400 than there is from the B40W which feels strangely "flat" and green/yellow.

I intend to continue working with the B40W as a quick n easy backup printer but, for accuracy and designs that require it, the new 1400 will be there. I'm hoping by working that way that my new 1400 will last a little longer than my old one.

The irony is that my new printer arrived this morning - two days earlier than expected. Only problem - they sent a P50..! Who in their right mind confuses a £260 A3 printer with an £80 A4 printer? Fortunately I'm working on an order that favours green so I think the B40W will handle that job well enough.

bms
14-10-2010, 06:13 PM
It's a pity there's no middle ground between "empty CISS from third party" and "full CISS from Sawgrass". If I'm just going to go for an empty CISS, I may as well stick with refills for the time being.

The reason for this is that the agreements that the distributors sign do not allow the decanting of ink from the stock sizes that are supplied by Sawgrass. So if a distributor bought an empty CIS and offered it with, say 40ml of ink then that distributor would have their license to resell sublimation ink revoked with obvious consequences to their business.

So the options are (a) to sell an Easyflow with 100ml of each colour of ink or (b) sell a third party CIS with 125ml bottles (as a minimum) of each colour of ink! The figures don't stack up to do (b) as this would be more expensive than (a) :!:

JSR
14-10-2010, 06:38 PM
The reason for this is that the agreements that the distributors sign do not allow the decanting of ink from the stock sizes that are supplied by Sawgrass.
I'm not blaming the seller. I just feel that, sometimes, Sawgrass could do more to support their end users.

gillyd
21-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi
Just thought i would post a reply on here as i think i have the answer!!!!

I was searching for an answer on here as I was having the same problem and it was driving me mad and as much as i love doing this, i was ready to throw in the towel! Sometimes it was obvious on the print out, other times it didn't show until i pressed it and I have wasted so many mugs!!!! I was even cutting things out intricatley (sp) and covering edging with heat tape!

I tried head cleaning, alignment, nozzle check and all the other suggestions on this thread, etc etc!! Then i came across this site http://www.megauk.com/datasheets/5031_D ... ooting.pdf (http://www.megauk.com/datasheets/5031_Data_Sheet_Sublimation_Bulk_Syst_Trouble_shoo ting.pdf)

i use an Epson D120
I followed the instructions to the letter, and soon got frustrated that it wasn't helping! UNTIL I did the syringe ink through part! I got rid of all the foamy ink as described and fed it back into the bulk tank and HEY PRESTO I am now making my best mugs ever!!!!!! I am so pleased with the results!! long may it continue!!

So if you are having this problem, don't go out and buy new printers and cis, first have a go at the syringing (I actually made sure i was pulling ink through and not just emptying the cartrdge part)

So in my experience Yellow Bloom is caused by AIR BUBBLES!!!

Hope this helps

Gillian :D

munk3y
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
not sure whether this has been mentioned, i had this happen quite a lot over xmas ( and yes they do seem to shatter when hitting the wall at great speeds)
check your heat press, i had to get a new one cos some of the heating wrap was heating more in little spots rather han evenly around the press, dont get me wrong it had printed a few thousand mugs before this happened, on looking at the mug wrap there were light spots on the pad and this was where the burning was hapening, i bought a new mug press and been fine since, just a thought if its still happening.