PDA

View Full Version : 1 st t shirt

AJLA
21-10-2010, 05:42 PM
We have made our first t shirt, white text on black, both of us having a go with different techniques/angles.
After several goes i decided to try a two pass which was better than the first lot then I did one pas/stroke (not sure what the correct term is) ..then flash cure then another pass.
This was much better than the others but while i'm aware that there is a lot of practice to be done it's the fine hairs that you can just see through the white.

Whilst in the practice stages we are using 43T until our other screens arrive.

By the way I ought to mention I managed to get paint on the ceiling, floor and dads trousers, daren't look closely at anything else :lol:

John G
21-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Mandy,
Your doing it correct - just be certain to do a wash test before starting long runs and keep a timer beside your flash drier to attain similar results. Sometimes you think its nice and dry but the ink, due to 2 prints, hasn't cured properly so flakes off in the wash. :shock:

Try to keep your print shop spotless, any ink on floor or surfaces should be cleaned straight away as it never dries unless heated (properly cured). Check your hands after every other print until you get the hang of printing - mistakes can be costly if you keep getting ink all over the shirts.

Well done on your 1st t'shirt. :D

AJLA
21-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Dad is going to take the shirts home for a wash test tonught, fingers crossed, thanks for all your advice John.

Paul
21-10-2010, 08:52 PM
well done mandy!!! but... ...where is the pic??? :twisted:

AJLA
22-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi guys,

It's Dad here, Mandy is off today and we didn't have chance to take pics cos we had break down on the digital photo printing lab!
But we will do it cos its hilarious.

Personally I am a little disappointed, I know we had a big challenge on with white on black but have been encouraged with various youtube links we have watched (thousands) it could be achieved and as Mandy has explained we can still see the fibres through the ink slightly and if we compare to the vinyl its a no brainer.

Any you guys want a holiday just outside England down here in Cornwall free hotel as much grub as you can eat plus all your usual beverages, may even go to a free special Cornish t shirt, lol?

Mandy's dad (Darryle)

John G
22-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Darryle,
I'd love to come down but have a little too much work on at the mo. The amount of ink that goes through the screen is controlled by the blade angle and pressure you use when printing. Have the squeegie at too high an angle from the screen and you'll get a thin layer of ink - have a small angle - as in your thumbs are near to the screen/ink and you'll get heavy coverage.

If your using a 43t screen, or thereabouts, you should be getting really good coverage so its down to your print technique, squeegie or thickness of ink.

Cheers John

Paul
22-10-2010, 05:20 PM
i love to see the Cornwall!!! :P

hope to see the "first" baby ;) you produce ;)

btw... nice to meat you Darryle! Why not to register and have your own account??? we friendly bunch on here :)