PDA

View Full Version : A Salutary Lesson for newbies..

leethesign
23-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I've seen several posts from newbies here asking for advice on equipment, supplies and suppliers and so I thought I'd share my experience with those who are looking at setting up a sub business.

(I'm based in Spain, and all sub stuff is far more expensive here than in the U.K., so this is why I investgated other sources - I must point out that I hadn't known about this site when I started - wish I had, though! - but had some knowledge of the system from a previous business venture some years ago)

1) Printer & inks - I saw an E-bay listing for an Espon D21 printer with a CISS at a very reasonable price. The vendor also had sub inks at a good price, so went for that. PROBLEMS - No profile for the inks, so the colour matching screen to print is crap. Martin kindly helped me out with a profile, but the right one isn't available, so not too successful there. Then had a (self made) problem with the CISS - I laid a hot soldering iron on the tubing and melted it (pillock) and asked the supplier for a replacement. No problem with a replacement, but what a bloody rude reply when I asked him for fitting instructions. The answer was simply "No- take photographs" one of the shortest sentences to a customer on record I reckon!.Also when I paid I got another curt request for more money for carriage - "You might have told me you live in Spain". I thought most decent suppliers know where their customers are based! Anyway that's the sort of reply you get from "Intelli-inks"I'll not be doing business with them again.

2) Press - Once again E-bay.....a mug press at 85 quid from Germany - good oh I thought. It arrived quickly but didn't work properly - there's no way of setting the temperature - only the time. When I checked the temp the thermostat was switching the blanket off at 270ºC. A tad on the warm side! They sent me another blanket to be fair, but that was the same. They then sent me another press (minus the blanket) and that one doesn't go above 130º before cutting out. Result - I'm fed up with that and will probably sling the whole lot in the bin.

3) Mugs -I saw some mugs advertised with coloured inners (I'd had a request for these from a prospective customer). T'riffic price (about 70 pence each) from some cowboy in the U.K. Bought four boxes assorted colours. Printed some - looked O.K. (Given the problems with the inks etc), but the prints come off even when the mugs are rinsed by hand! Result 140 odd more mugs to use at home.

So there you go, about 400 quids worth to be slung in the bin. I'm old enough and experienced enough to know better, and IT'S NOBODY ELSE'S FAULT BUT MINE......but please, please, take note all those who ask about buying cheap stuff on E-bay. There are, no doubt, some bargains to be had from time to time, but generally speaking "if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is". Spend your dosh wisely and only once!

AJLA
23-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Oh dear you really haven't had much luck Lee.
Were you planning on doing this from home or opening a business?
Off topic I know but where abouts in Spain are you?

leethesign
23-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Hiya Mandy,

I'm living in a place called Chiclana de la Frontera, near Cadiz in S.W. Spain. Very Spanish but with a reasonable number of Brit residents and businesses.. I run a small sign company from home and decided to go into other stuff as well - hence the subby stuff.
It's only to stop me getting too bored really - we have a little holiday letting house here as well....if you fancy a break ,have a look at this site: http://www.casitalimonares.com

Oddly enough, we moved here from Cornwall where we lived for 25 odd years - whereabouts are you based?

Blimey, talk about going off topic!!!! 8-)
Lee

bms
23-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Spend your dosh wisely and only once!

Very wise words Lee.

leethesign
23-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah Martin........
Pity I'm crap at taking my own advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AJLA
23-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I'M based in Saltash just outside England but came here from Spain where i lived for 10 years ish, In Altea, Alicante. My brother is still there too. I did ponder going back a few years ago as my family had properties there and my bro had a position in his business for me. I love every thing about Spain but won't go back now as i'm a "ya ya" and my grandson is the love of my life, I just couldn't bear to be away from him. I do envy you tho.

John G
23-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Whats a Ya Ya ?

AJLA
23-10-2010, 02:19 PM
That's Spanish for grannie John

John G
23-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Grassy arse :D

AJLA
23-10-2010, 02:52 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Terrible condition, You ought to start talking something for it :lol:

leethesign
23-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I posted a reply earlier, but it must have got lost in the post.....

Paul - whoa there......I have never blamed anyone but myself for the wasted money I only mentioned E-bay, because the name has become synonymous with looking for bargains. As purely a buying portal, they cannot be held to blame for some of the people who sell through them, and I in no way inferred it was their fault.
Secondly with regard to printing mugs that are no good, wherever did you get the idea I would supply supply stuff to a customer
that was not up to standard? - no way Jose.....I had to print some mugs to find out they were crap.
Your comments with regard to research and investigation are, of course, totally relevant and, as I said before, it was my fault that I ended up with junk. Also, I have found that, in practise, it's quite easy to ask for a sample for testing purposes, but when I have to ship my goods a thousand miles, it's not always practical from a financial and time point of view.

That's that then - on to nicer things.......I see Mandy you're in Saltash - I know it well, I'm a Liskeard boy (well, old bloke). Lovely part of the country, but too damn cold and wet for my tastes now. At the moment, it's about 23º and sunny and I've been in the pool today! Sorry, couldn't resist that - I've seen the U.K. weather today 8-) ........ Anyway luv to all you Cornish buggers -proper job my bird! On a competely different note - I'm compiling a Cornish joke book, so if you've got any favourite Cornish jokes (not too naughty) I'd love to see 'em and consider them for inclusion.

Seem to have wandered off topic again.........................

Justin
23-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Sorry to hear about all the problems Lee :cry: It can be a big learning curve and being based out of Spain can't make it any easier. As for being based in Spain....my heart bleeds for you! LOL :lol: I'm just ordering in my snow tyres as we've had several blizzards already this week. Went out to work this morning and it was below freezing, suns out so it's lovely and bright....bleddy cold though! Back on subject....please let us know if we can help to source anything and ship it to you. I work for a local transport company who work internationally so could get a few 1000 mugs over to you ;)

leethesign
23-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Justin B.L.I.Z.Z...A...R...D... wot's that then???? :lol:

I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'm off mugs for a minute as I've just copped for a nice order for a big range of t-shirts
so I'm gonna concentrate on that for a while.

I appreciate the sympathy as well, but I got what I deserved!!!!

AJLA
23-10-2010, 04:53 PM
As for being based in Spain....my heart bleeds for you! LOL :lol: DITTO!!

Well Liskeard, fancy that what a small world it is.
I do have some Cornish jokes which I will endeavour to dig up dreckly and send to you. Bear in mind you have to say them in a Cornish accent or they don't work.

AJLA
23-10-2010, 05:05 PM
PM SENT. GOING HOME FOR A VINO NOW. :)

Paul
23-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Please accept my appology. i just read your post again and you right! i am going to delete my post as it not puting anything in to this subiect.

sorry again Lee.

Paul

leethesign
23-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Paul,

Thanks
but no apology neccessary.........

Mandy - saying jokes in a Cornish accent bain't too 'ard - -writin' the buggers is though!

Oi looks foward to gerrin' 'em.

AJLA
25-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Did you not get the pm Lee?

leethesign
25-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes Mandy, just opened it..................proper job, thanks a million, there's some good stuff there for me to use.
Your input is appreciated.

GoldRapt
25-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Lee, are you going to bin those mugs please?

leethesign
25-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Yep Tony - already done it!

GoldRapt
25-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Damn, too late.
I would have offered some cash for them dud mugs :(

leethesign
25-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh never mind - I'll probably cock something else up before too long and have to get rid of something! :D

AJLA
25-10-2010, 12:28 PM
No probs Lee.

GoldRapt
25-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Never mind Lee, 140 dye sub mugs with coloured inners that wont dye sub would have done me fine though.
Back to the G&T's for you me dear :D