PDA

View Full Version : engraving system

Paul
23-10-2010, 01:29 PM
hi! I wonder if any one can do it. I looked at metaza system but there is no way I can affordit right now... specialy if my existing hobby is already expensive (I do photography) So Can any one do it?
is there customers for this sort of things? I wish to do some engraved lighters but dont know where to go so maybe any of you can help ;)

Paul

Justin
23-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Fancied a Metaza myself a while back, they've improved over the years and work quicker now I believe. I was told that early models didn't engrave particularly deep and the image could wear off but I've never seen it. Got samples from P&P a few years back and they were very impressive.

AJLA
23-10-2010, 05:09 PM
No you're right Justin I didn't think they were very good either, they exhibited next to us at the NEC where we were asked if we wanted to become agents for it. Don't think I could sell something I didn't think was up to scratch. Would be interesting to see a sample from a newer version.

Stitch Up
23-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Was it the Printwear show you exhibited at? Sort of thinking about it :mrgreen:

AJLA
23-10-2010, 05:39 PM
No until very recently we exhibited at the Focus exhibition selling/demonstrating photo processing minilabs, kiosks etc.
I'm sure there use to be a printwear exhibit on at the same time until the Focus on imaging dates were changed.

bms
23-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Don't think I could sell something I didn't think was up to scratch
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DREAMGLASS
24-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I had one of those Metaza engraving machines a couple of years back. The problem is the image is created by hundreds of little 'dings' into the surface of the coating of the item and the image is only viewable from certain angles. Tilt the item slightly and the image all but disappears. Amost like a hologram.

The other problem is that some of the Rhodium plated coatings turn brown when in contact with personal care products, meaning things like pendants can discolour quite badly after just a few weeks of wear. The concept is nice, but the results just look shoddy compared to 'proper' engraving, or sublimation.