PDA

View Full Version : Need to develop this more I think...

socialgiraffe
10-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Polydor asked me to come up with something different for a presentation to a band as a thank you for the launch of a new album. Went for simple but effective and was really impressed not only with the end result, but more importantly the quality, cost and speed with which it was all completed.

A massive nod to ALIP for running the prints for me (my A3 printer was down at the time), and a huge pat on the back to the guys at Subli Metals for the service. The idea that you can kiss cut any shape really does open up hundreds of potential avenues and you are only limited by your own imagination. Well worth the few extra pennies it costs to produce something really bespoke.

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4409&stc=1http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4410&stc=1

No prizes for guessing the band :biggrin:

Quinsfan
10-01-2017, 02:57 PM
I am guessing that is a sublimated panel as Subli Metals cut the shape. Look really nice I hope U2 liked it[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew
10-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Nice little item.

Do you know how it was cut. We tried cutting shapes from metal a while ago but slightly problematic. Laser burnt the coating around the cut area and rotary left not as neat a finish as would have liked.

socialgiraffe
10-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Do you know how it was cut. We tried cutting shapes from metal a while ago but slightly problematic. Laser burnt the coating around the cut area and rotary left not as neat a finish as would have liked.

I sent the shape to Subli Metals and they priced and cut it for me. Fantastic service and the quality of their metal is spot on. Because of the price I don't see any point in doing it myself, let the pros do it :-)

The cut was really nice, no burring and when I printed it there were no light patches or blemishes. The one you are looking at I am using as a sample, I got the pressure wrong so there is a very tiny blemish on this actual one. Had this been a bulk item I may well have let it go as it is that tiny.

Obviously if you are doing a limited run the I recommend ordering overs. But that is more for your error than any problems with quality. Give them a try Andrew as I think there is mileage in this with the sectors we are both in.

I am guessing that is a sublimated panel as Subli Metals cut the shape. Look really nice I hope U2 liked it

Correct and Yep, Mr Springsteen of U2 fame loved it :cool:

webtrekker
10-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Nice, but Mr. Jagger might have something to say about it! :biggrin:

socialgiraffe
10-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Nice, but Mr. Jagger might have something to say about it! :biggrin:

Not sure I follow. The frames were for him and the rest of the Rolling Stones (see original post), so no copyright infringement if that is what you are suggesting. :smile:

webtrekker
10-01-2017, 03:39 PM
BTW, not sublimation, but I cut this from paper with my Silver Bullet and mounted it between 2 sheets of glass.

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4411&stc=1

Another of the Silverdale Miner statue cut from black card (one sheet of glass) and added a sky background.

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4412&stc=1

Those cheap RIBBA frames from IKEA are spot on! :wink:

webtrekker
10-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Not sure I follow. The frames were for him and the rest of the Rolling Stones (see original post), so no copyright infringement if that is what you are suggesting. :smile:

Sorry SG, I should have read your post properly.

socialgiraffe
10-01-2017, 03:42 PM
They look superb.

I have used two sheets of glass before when the customer wanted mirror silver text. The best result was from a vinyl I got hold of.

Do you use a special glass (I did which was 4 times the price!!!) or do you "get away" with standard frame glass?

socialgiraffe
10-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Sorry SG, I should have read your post properly.

No worries, all good :wink:

webtrekker
10-01-2017, 04:06 PM
They look superb.

I have used two sheets of glass before when the customer wanted mirror silver text. The best result was from a vinyl I got hold of.

Do you use a special glass (I did which was 4 times the price!!!) or do you "get away" with standard frame glass?

To be honest SG I had a few of these frames spare, so I just nicked a pane from one of the other frames as a test. I had thought of using acrylic but didn't know if it would look as 'pure' as the glass.

The one cut from card doesn't need the extra glass to support it and is just jammed between the existing glass and the front of the frame. I never got around to experimenting further with these ideas. I like yours though, especially the nice glossy effect of the printed metal. Great idea.

willd
10-01-2017, 04:11 PM
BTW, not sublimation, but I cut this from paper with my Silver Bullet and mounted it between 2 sheets of glass.

(images snipped)

Another of the Silverdale Miner statue cut from black card (one sheet of glass) and added a sky background.

These look brilliant - sometimes the simple things hit the mark!