PDA

View Full Version : ebay shop worth it ?

hannahvidler
15-01-2017, 11:48 AM
is it worth having a ebay shop nowadays with the volume of clothing products already on there or am I looking at it wrong

GoonerGary
15-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Many people assume that selling online will just get them sales. Ebay won't send customers to your shop from within an ebay search, your products will not be visible to every ebay customer 24/7. You need to use social media and advertising to bring customers to your ebay shop. You also need to use language which helps customers find the product they might want to buy. It's a learning curve.

hannahvidler
15-01-2017, 12:42 PM
ah I see my partner runs a successful property maintenance company so sadly he has no clue in the advertising for this side of things but that's certainly food for thought gary just ebay seems overwhelmed with personalised clothing

viccar
15-01-2017, 06:26 PM
You dont have to have a shop you can sell without one, i think it breaks even at 66 listings if i remember correctly.
So if you were to use less that that then its not worth it.
Also ebay/paypal take about 15% in fees.

froggy
15-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Have you already got an eBay account which you have been selling from?

hannahvidler
15-01-2017, 09:52 PM
oh yea nothing is easy esp advertising even my partner still has to plow £££££ to keep him in listings after 15 years but he does come up with onsite seo work etc sounds like I may have to do the same

sinGN
16-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Hi,
yes its really worthy. ebay shop nowadays is more common.

bigj2552
16-01-2017, 03:00 PM
go try and view/find a sellers ebay shop on the mobile app.......:rolleyes:

cleo333
30-05-2017, 09:41 AM
yes, it is definitely worthy!

webtrekker
30-05-2017, 10:30 AM
As your only source of income then selling on ebay won't perhaps bring the riches you imagined, but it's certainly worthwhile whrn combined with other sources as previously mentioned.

Using facebook to point to your ebay shop is a good idea, but using facebook as a selling platform isn't so good, you get so many time-wasters, people who don't pay, people who don't turn up when you've waited in all day, etc ..........

Having your own online site, whilst avoiding selling fees, isn't so good either, unless you can vigorously advertise it, which often boils down to forking out more cash.

Of course, there's always the old tried and tested method, which is to get off your butt and actually go out and sell your stuff! :wink: (That's intended to be general, not personal!).

James990
30-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Hum, I wonder if it is going to be worth it especially for those who are not registered for VAT!

As from 1st August Ebay will be charging UK VAT on top of the fees already charged, so it is going to put everything up!!

James

Smart Mart
06-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Hum, I wonder if it is going to be worth it especially for those who are not registered for VAT!

As from 1st August Ebay will be charging UK VAT on top of the fees already charged, so it is going to put everything up!!

James

Only if your turnover is over £85,000, if your turnover is under that you pay the vat on eBay fees already

James990
06-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Incorrect, eBay are going to charge VAT on TOP of the current fees, so when you get the bill, it will be what you used to pay, then the VAT. I asked eBay about it and that is what they have said. Yes if you are registered for VAT, and you can even if you are not reaching the threshold they will be doing it differently, but it does mean that all the bills will go up by 20%.

UK Printed Mugs
06-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I think that's only fair. We all moan about large companies in this country not paying their share of taxes and although it will hit us all (those with eBay shops I mean) it will bring in millions of pounds to spend on, umm, welfare hand outs :-)

James990
06-06-2017, 08:32 AM
I must get in front of the que for the welfare handouts then. I don't think it is fair, especially as eBay rake in millions of pounds already and could quite easily keep our prices the same and pay the VAT out of what they already well over charge us for!

Customprintwales
06-06-2017, 09:28 AM
It only means that you put your prices up to cover the increase in fees.

If you are registered for VAT then you can reclaim it, if not you increase your price to cover the VAT, it's a legitimate business expense you need to take into account when working out your costings.

I'm about to increase my prices on Amazon because of their increase fees for FBA this month.

webtrekker
06-06-2017, 10:10 AM
If you are registered for VAT then you can reclaim it,

True, but not if you're on the Flat Rate scheme, which many small businesses are on eBay.

Smart Mart
06-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Are amazon doing the same thing? i can see someone put here FBA fees are going up,what about fulfilled by seller rates,are they staying the same or going up?

Customprintwales
06-06-2017, 12:08 PM
FBM rates are staying the same. It is just FBA rates going up.

It's not a vast amount but it's an opportunity to look again at my FBA prices bearing in mind other cost increases recently and coming through the line. I'll probably add on 50p onto a £10 item. which is I think 5% if I have my math correct.

James990
07-06-2017, 12:26 AM
If I try and pass on the price increase from eBay then it would be 50p on a £2.50 item making it £3.00, quite a hike, and I doubt that the customer would buy with such a hike!

UK Printed Mugs
07-06-2017, 09:24 AM
I think some people are getting confused on this eBay VAT. It is NOT against your products but against the fee you pay eBay. So it is not 50p on a £2.50 item. It affects business sellers who are not VAT registered only (and those flat rate) but paying VAT on a service is standard. You pay VAT on web site hosting, you pay VAT on blank substrates, you pay VAT on practically everything. For those that are VAT registered and are not flat-rate then you can claim it all back. For those flat-rate and non VAT registered then it is a hit but then again pre-2015 you use to pay VAT so it is only in the last couple of years things changed.

James990
07-06-2017, 10:20 AM
No confusion here. My bill will rise by 20% full stop. It doesn't matter how you try and explain it away, dress it up etc the bottom line is that it will go up 20%!! Yes those who are registerd for VAT can claim it back, but they alkso have to charge VAt on what they sell, those who are not registered like those who are will have to pay it. Non registered will not be able to claim it back.

You mention about paying VAT on practically everything, yes, but the mojority of items I buy includes the VAT, and that is then in the price passed onto the customer, it is still 50 on top of the £2.50.

UK Printed Mugs
07-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Hi chap. You stated "50p on a £2.50 item" which I was just correcting as you don't pay an extra 20% on an item you pay it on the eBay fee for the £2.50 item (probably an extra 7p).

James990
07-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Yep, sorry my mistook. it is a mine field though and still an increase!!