PDA

View Full Version : USB to serial????

Flash
27-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Guy's,
I could use some help here, please.
I have been running a Foison Vinyl Cutter quite happily for over 3 years now, but recently during operation I have heard a few strange 'grinding' noises coming from the machine :shock:
I have aquired a DGI New Star OM-60 Vinyl Cutter to replace the Foison when it finally decides to die!
The problem, the DGI came supplied with a Serial -Serial cable and my computer does not have a Serial output!
I assumed that I needed a USB - Serial cable but it appears that there are different types for different applications :roll: For example: A USB - Serial cable for a printer would be different to that needed for a Vinyl Cutter. It sounds like different manufacturers 'cross-over' wires within the cable, if this makes sense.
Can anyone on here shed any light on my situation as I could really use some help with this before my Foison dies!!!!
Many thanks in advance.

Phil

thespringonion
27-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Foison in fact is a serial device, it does have a built-in usb to serial convertor, but strictly speaking it's not hot plug n play.

Something like this should do the trick http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-RS232-SER ... 19bfef4983 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-ADAPTER-CABLE-GPS-NEW-/110594312579?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item19bfef4983)

The serial output is controlled by software on the PC (driver) and should be compliant with standard RS232, hence there shouldn't be any wiring problems. Might have to tinker with baudrates.etc. to get it running sweet.

Flash
28-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Foison in fact is a serial device, it does have a built-in usb to serial convertor, but strictly speaking it's not hot plug n play.

Something like this should do the trick http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-RS232-SER ... 19bfef4983 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-ADAPTER-CABLE-GPS-NEW-/110594312579?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item19bfef4983)

The serial output is controlled by software on the PC (driver) and should be compliant with standard RS232, hence there shouldn't be any wiring problems. Might have to tinker with baudrates.etc. to get it running sweet.

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for your reply, yep, I got me one of those exact leads ;) Still no joy!
I think the main problem is here is that I do not have the Driver/s required for the DGI New Star OM-60 :( I have tried a couple of the generic drivers in my Cutting Software ( FlexiSign 8 Ver:8.1 ) but that did not appear to work either :(
Looks like I am going to need the proper Drivers for my machine.
Now where do I get that?
Help still needed it seems :?

Phil

John G
28-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Can't be certain but I think years ago when I set my plotter up I used a graphtec driver even though my plotter was a dingtec. You could do a search for graphtec drivers and use the one thats compatible with the size of plotter your using.

Might be worth a try

Cheers John

Reg
28-10-2010, 04:30 PM
If that is a Dom Global cutter the driver in your cutting software you could use is Refine 720 and you probably need to change the baud rate setting if using the adapter default setting is 9600 you change this to 4800 , you'll need to do this every time you switch the cutter on. Reg

Flash
31-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi all, thanks for all the replies and sorry for not getting back sooner.
I'm having another 'crack' at this problem today to see if I can get closer to a resolution.
The main problem here as I see it is, all these devices are run by serial cables but 'new' computers don't have serial outputs, they are all USB.
This creates the first problem as you need a way of converting your serial device to a USB output!
Now, I have purchased the converting cable provided in the link above and installed the software that came with it. I have allocated an output 'Port' on my computer for the Vinyl Cutter and used the correct Driver within my cutting software for the machine.
I have set the 'Baudrate' within the software to the same as on the machine, but nothing!
When I do a 'Test Cut' on the machine, all is well :D
There seems to be a communication issue here somewhere, it cannot be the software as my exact model of Vinyl Cutter is listed and selected, so I can only assume that the 'breakdown' in communication is something to do with all these leads and convertors!
I should have also mentioned here that RS-232-C cables are 9-Pin male to female whereas my Vinyl Cutter is a 25-Pin connection so another adapter is used on this end of the cable!
It's all a bit of a nightmare really!

Phil

Reg
31-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi according to my hand book the baud rate in software is set at 9600 @ the port setting then changed to 4800 @ device set-up & on the cutter when using USB to serial also I had a problem with commands set because my cutter is set to use DMPL or HPGL I found it would only work correctly with HPGL when using the adapter. Reg

Flash
31-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi according to my hand book the baud rate in software is set at 9600 @ the port setting then changed to 4800 @ device set-up & on the cutter when using USB to serial also I had a problem with commands set because my cutter is set to use DMPL or HPGL I found it would only work correctly with HPGL when using the adapter. Reg

Hi Reg,
All useful information, thank you.
I have now ordered another cable which 'should' eliminate a few connections and adaptors!
It is a: USB to Parallel 25 DB 25DB Serial Adapter Cable Lead. This will get rid of the 9-Pin to 25-Pin adaptor on the Vinyl Cutter end!
I will commence once I have received this cable. I have paid the extra cost for First Class delivery so should get it quite soon.
The Foison is still cutting thank goodness ;)

Phil

Flash
03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Ok, got it working :D .......but it was quite a journey!

For starters I found a 9-Pin serial output on the back of my desktop computer. Now I needed a serial cable with a 9-Pin Female for the computer end and a 25-Pin Male plug on the Vinyl Cutter end. Simple I hear you say, you can get them 'off the shelf'! WRONG!
Now you need the correct 'Pin Out' configuration, it IS true, all serial cables are NOT the same!

Luckily I have the Owners Handbook for the Vinyl Cutter as all the info. I needed was in there ;) I then set about making up the cable :roll: It was like being back at college!

I then plugged in the Vinyl Cutter and bingo, instant action!

Persistance pays!

Phil