PDA

View Full Version : Placemats & things .....

AdamB
31-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I have been doing a variety of demos for the shop and encountered a 'few' problems on the way. Some are rectified and will be sorted with experience (with everything), but others still give me worries (I just want to be perfect!).

Anyway, can anyone help with .................

Hardboard Pacemats - tried a few, image didn't come through and was patchy so remembered the 'pre press post for moisture'. Tried this and it worked but the placemats seemed to have warped a little. Is this because of the 'type' they are, or is it not normal?

Carboard Jigsaws - image transfers brilliantly but the layers seem to peel apart after a few hours pressing and get a slight warp. Is this because they are 'cardboard' and not wood??

Worktop Chopping Board - pressed for the correct time and temp, but looking at the image from the font it seems like it has a white area dead centre like the image hasn't transfered. But looking at the back you can see the image has ............ ?

Misc - I saw a video on 'pimpashirt' and they use a teflon cushion type thingymebob to pad out areas and raise them for pressing away from zips etc .............. anyone know where I can get one from?

Many thanks guys,

Adam

bms
31-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Placemats & Jigsaws - place something heavy on top of them whilst they are cooling as this will stop the warping. They do they because they soak up the moisture in the air whilst cooling so a 5kg weight on top (or something similar) will keep them flat. Same for the jigsaws - I suspect the delamiation might be because of the glue getting hot so place under a weight to cool to keep flat and ensure the glue resticks fully.

AdamB
31-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Placemats & Jigsaws - place something heavy on top of them whilst they are cooling as this will stop the warping. They do they because they soak up the moisture in the air whilst cooling so a 5kg weight on top (or something similar) will keep them flat. Same for the jigsaws - I suspect the delamiation might be because of the glue getting hot so place under a weight to cool to keep flat and ensure the glue resticks fully.

Thanks Martin, works a treat!

:D

Also, I did a few demo ones that split so I heated them again and pressed under a heavy weight and they re-stuck!

"Jobs a good un!" - many thanks mate, really appreciated!

Kaz
01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I put 2 of my old next directories on top of the jigsaws when they are cooling to keep them in shape :lol:

JSR
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
When doing placemats, I put them between two planks of wood (old shelves) and put a box of mugs on top. That flattens 'em!