PDA

View Full Version : Subli t - platen marks remain after printing.

Shipz
01-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey everyone.

I'm new to all this so sorry if its ground you have covered before.

I have a Ricoh GX 7000 printer and a 15" x 20" heat press which i bought from Xpres. I also use their sub paper too.

I am starting out offering various types of t - shirt printing (amongst other things ) and would love to be able to offer printing onto sub t-shirts. The thing is although i have the equipment i am stuggling to get results i like, so as a result i don't feel confident in offering this printing method to my customers.

The images themselves are acceptable but each time i press i am left with the footprint of the top platen on the shirt surface. I initially thought it would disappear but this is not the case. I have also tried reducing the pressure, to the extent where it is minimal but i am still getting the same results.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dave

R.Prints
01-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I always get the same when doing clothing, don't worry it will dissapear in the first wash, or you could iron the item to minimize marking.

Shipz
01-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the response.

I'm afraid i have already tried this.Because the marks didnt disappear i tried washing the shirts a couple of times but the marks are still there. I haven't tried ironing though.

i did read somewhere that you can buy some foam that you insert into the shirt underneath the transfer you are pressing and this might reduce this. As anyone heard or used this method?

TransferGraeme
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi

The first thing I would suggest is reducing the pressure - with subli printing all you need is a firm and constant contact between transfer and shirt, it's not like standard transfer printing.

You will also find that putting another t-shirt on the base of the press will help to even out the pressure.

The "foam" you mention, which is much used in the US, is basically a piece of mousemat material, although there are various rubber pads which you can buy which will have the same effect.

The other option, which one of our largest customers uses for this type of shirt, is a garment steamer which is fairly effective though quite time consuming.

Justin
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I tried everything to get rid of these marks, trawling the net for solutions years ago, came to the conclusion (and advice from Xpres) that these were to be expected and were offset by being able to offer such a good photo quality print easily.

I tried lifting the edges, different pressures, the list goes on. One supplier even suggested sanding (yes, sanding) the edges of the paper to make them thinner!

I wasn't happy supplying shirts with these obvious lines so stopped doing tee's completely.

Recently re-visited printing dye sub tee's and used the Vapour garments for the first time. Massive difference in the visibility of the line as the garment is thinner (and nicer) so I'm starting to print them again :D

accdave
01-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I do both Xpres & Vapor and although I can see the press marks I have never yet had a customer comment on them.

One thing to do is pulll the garment both ways when you take it off the press

Shipz
02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I have only used the Xpres ones up to now. Where do you guys get the Vapour ones from?

I feel a little better knowing that i'm not the only person who as experienced this problem and it gives me hope that i can get to a point where i am happy to offer this to my customers.

accdave
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Vapor shirts from http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/

TransferGraeme who posted above is the owner :D

bms
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
We also have a vapour style t-shirts and these are available in pastel blue and light olive..
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/476/pastel-coloured-sublimation-tshirts.htm

Shipz
03-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Again Thanks.

Is that the same Graeme that does the plastisol transfers from Artbrands etc.

If so then thats good. I am looking at getting some of the transfers in the near future.

I'll let you know how i get on. Might be a while but i will make a point of updating here.
:)

accdave
03-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Is that the same Graeme that does the plastisol transfers from Artbrands etc.

Yes it is. Something I've been going to order for the past 2 years, but can never make my mind up which ones to get :D

Kaz
18-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Hiya, have you tried the suggestions already mentioned on this thread?

Justin
18-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Take a look here http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?1755-Avoiding-permanent-heat-press-marks-on-shirts

Works a treat!

kris_hm
18-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Justin - I think Shipz means marks from heat plate edges, not paper edges.
I had the same problem and I'm also using xpress t-shirts. Please try to reduce temperature but extend the time. That should reduce heat press marks a little bit and then straight after pressing quick ironing with loads of steam. It works for me ;)

Justin
18-04-2011, 10:40 PM
My apols! That'll teach me to read threads quickly ;-)

mgibbs
19-04-2011, 12:06 PM
When I print tees I always use the press afterward to iron out the lines (avoiding the printed area obviously).

Doesn't get rid of them completely but it does reduce them.

Mark

Printingtshirt
27-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I think you should try this http://thetshirtman.co.uk/ .

twinsgran
06-04-2014, 05:54 PM
I realise this is an old post but I just wondered if anyone over time has perfected the art of printing t shirts without leaving the platen mark? I did a polo shirt this morning as a trial and I was careful to avoid pressing over the buttons and I ripped the edges of the paper with the image on it. I put a sheet of paper inside the shirt and then covered the lot with a large sheet of paper. [yes I know, that's a lot of paper]. Anyway the image came out fine and there were no paper edge marks, but the platen marks were definitely there. I pressed at 185 for 60 secs. I used a steam iron on it immediately after but you can still see it. Any suggestions please?