PDA

View Full Version : Market Stall tips and advice ...

webtrekker
24-03-2017, 10:44 AM
[User Deleted]

James990
24-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Well as a seasoned market trader of many, many, many years standing I would echo most of what you are saying, except the putting of things in the walkway, so punters fall over them. You leave youself wide open to injury claims and if your market trading insurance find out, you will not be covered. Also you are liable to have the organisers down on your neck as well and could be chucked of the pitch!

GoonerGary
24-03-2017, 01:20 PM
"I was at the market today mum, some idiot couldn't spell coaster, and I near broke my neck because the idiot left a mess everywhere. But he's a soft touch, you can ask for any price you want."

"Poundland is much warmer and cheaper son, the guy who started that is a multi millionaire, he must be smart, you won't learn anything in life being around idiots."

webtrekker
24-03-2017, 01:50 PM
[User Deleted]

webtrekker
24-03-2017, 01:55 PM
[User Deleted]

James990
24-03-2017, 01:59 PM
It has naff all to do with the nanny state, just common sense, you do not want customers falling all over your stock, perhaps injuring themselves, or worse still damaging your stock so you cannot sell it!!

GoonerGary
24-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Haha! I take it you don't sell on the market then? :wink:

I'm trying to flog my designs to a market trader at present! Hope they don't read this.

webtrekker
24-03-2017, 02:40 PM
[User Deleted]

GoonerGary
24-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Have you got any designer jeans around the back mate? (wink wink)

Callunna
24-03-2017, 07:05 PM
I started off on a market stall and stuck it out for a year. It got me established and was a low cost introduction to the business. In summer it was fun. In winter, sheer hell. I didn't know the human skeleton could actually freeze. Couldn't sell t-shirts as no matter how you try you can't stop the rain getting at them. And loading/unloading caused the packaging to get grubby and unsellable.
No, I don't regret packing it in and getting a bricks & mortar shop!

logobear
24-03-2017, 09:06 PM
and here is my new one, - we opened yesterday!http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4542&stc=1
Finally moved OUT of a market after near 10 years, - not to personally avoid the cold, but to protect our machines from it! (and more space)

webtrekker
24-03-2017, 11:03 PM
[User Deleted]

logobear
25-03-2017, 01:55 PM
yes, - it is a big step up, - but I need a challange! Rent & rates about treble market stall, but I can swing a cat .... in each arm now!

pisquee
25-03-2017, 04:16 PM
trying to work out/remember which unit that is/who used to be there!

pisquee
25-03-2017, 04:18 PM
remember to register for small business rates relief, is 100% off upto £12k rateable value, which should be good chunk off.

James990
25-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Sorry mate, but you're not a market trader. If you were, you'd have seen traders with goods out in front of their stalls an many, many, many occasions.

(Beginning to wish I'd never started this thread now!).

I am beginning to wish you didn't as well, because you know naff all.

I have spent about 30 years as a Market trader, standing on the market in ALL weathers, not just when it is nice, or just when it is the season to sell a lot. Some weeks not even taking the rent, I am a member of the NMTF and have trained countless number of people on the running of their own business which includes working on the Markets. So your naff comment about can't have been a market trader shows me that you obviously know naff all about it at all!!

James990
25-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Yes you might have seen goods in front of stalls, but if anything I have witnessed in the 30 odd years I have been a trader, if the stuff was causing any problems they would have been told off, also if they didn't keep it within the boundaries of the space that they are supposed to be renting they will get into trouble, and I have seen market superintendents charge the trader for doing just that.

Health and safety is very strict these days on the markets and they do jump on those idiot 5 minute traders who just want to make a quick buck and don't want to abide by the rules and regulations.

Oh and I forgot to say, I have just come back in from obviously not standing on my local market, according to you as I am not a market trader!!!

webtrekker
25-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Yawn......

James990
25-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Yawn......

Surprise surprise you are yawning, you must have encountered this many many times before, mind you it is only to be expected from someone who doesn't read fiction, but writes it and advocates illegal activities!!

webtrekker
25-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Get a life mate.

Paul
25-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Surely we are all adults here fellas? :rolleyes:

James990
25-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Get a life mate.

I have a very full one thanks, without fiction as well!!!!!!! Also thankfully I am not your mate!

James990
25-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Surely we are all adults here fellas? :rolleyes:

Asbsolutly Paul, but sadly I cannot allow, even if the moderators do, the advocating of illegal activity to go on on the forum!

webtrekker
26-03-2017, 12:10 AM
[User Deleted]

James990
26-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Right then, getting back on topic, do you find most indoor markets are geared more towards food and bric-a-brac? I personally find people love browsing but not buying when it comes to sublimation items.

Nope, You must be going to the wrong markets could be all that clutter in front! I have an uncluttered front to my walkin 20ft by 20ft stall so people can browse to their heart's content, mind you I have been sooo very busy today I have only just got in.I couldn't even get the stall up before customers wanted to buy from me.

froggy
27-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Nope, You must be going to the wrong markets could be all that clutter in front! I have an uncluttered front to my walkin 20ft by 20ft stall so people can browse to their heart's content, mind you I have been sooo very busy today I have only just got in.I couldn't even get the stall up before customers wanted to buy from me.

:smile: Oh message too short...........I'll do another :smile:

Sedgewick
07-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Right then, getting back on topic, do you find most indoor markets are geared more towards food and bric-a-brac? I personally find people love browsing but not buying when it comes to sublimation items.

Just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience of trading on market stalls. Really helpful tips, which people can choose to use or not use.

I've never had a market stall but hope to do so in the near future. In the meantime I wanted to check if car boot sales are worth doing or a waste of time for mugs priced at £8.99?

James990
07-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Many of the car boots that I have seen state that you are not allowed to sell new items, don't know how or if they police that or not though!

Customprintwales
08-11-2017, 09:38 AM
"Poundland is much warmer and cheaper son, the guy who started that is a multi millionaire, he must be smart, you won't learn anything in life being around idiots."

Of course Poundland started as a market stall, let us not forget :)