PDA

View Full Version : CS4 with Epson D120 Rotech profile suddenly grainy images

barryslip
04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi

This one is really puzzling me...

I've been using my Epson D120 with Rotech ink and the correct ICC Profile with Photoshop CS4 for a few months now. So far I've had pretty good results printing on most items.

All of a sudden I'm getting blurry/grainy images when printing via CS4 using the "Photoshop manages colours" option. I'm overcoming the issue by increasing the brightness of my image in CS4 by approx +70 and selecting "Printer manages colours" when printing - this produces a nice crisp image (just like I used to get using the "Photoshop manages colours" option). Although this method seems to be working fine, it is a bit hit and miss as I don't always get the brightness correct.

Using the "Colour management" tool in Windows Vista's Control Panel, I removed and re-installed the Rotech Profile, but still no joy.

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm wondering if Microsoft has recenlty released a Windows Update which may be affecting the way CS4 is interacting with the Profile? Perhaps a re-install of CS4 may also help - I'll give that a go soon.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks
Barry

bms
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Does the grainy image print occur if you print the same image from, say Word or a different package? Just trying to rule out the software as the issue...

barryslip
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Good thought Martin. I'll give that a go and post back soon.

barryslip
05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Update...

Printing from Word and Powerpoint are fine. I've un-installed CS4 and re-installed it. Printing via CS4 using the Rotech profile still produces the grainy/blurry images.

I've attached 2 photos (sorry about the poor photo quality) which are tiny sections of an A4 picture.

"Bad Photo" was printed via CS4 using the Rotech profile.
"Goof Photo" was printed via Word 2007 with brightness altered +40.

Any advice greatly received....

[attachment=1:3qwhda1f]Good photo.JPG[/attachment:3qwhda1f]

[attachment=0:3qwhda1f]Bad photo.JPG[/attachment:3qwhda1f]

Barry

John G
05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I've never used photoshop to print, but you said "Photoshop to manage colours"

I thought that was what the profile was for - might be wrong though! :oops:

Justin
05-11-2010, 09:30 PM
That's right according to the setup guide.....

http://sawgrasseurope.indigofiles.com/t ... 4_D120.pdf (http://sawgrasseurope.indigofiles.com/technical_support/artainium/graphics/windows/d120/Photoshop_CS4_D120.pdf)

bms
06-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Have you checked to make sure the D120 printer is configured okay in the control panel? Check as per the instalation CD for the correct settings, especially in relation to colour management on the right hand side of the control panel section of the printer preferences.
When you selected the profile did you also re-install this from the CD or use the existing one already installed? Might be worth removing the old one and using the original from the CD just in case there is some form of corruption.

barryslip
09-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts...

I've checked and double-checked the settings in CS4 and in the D120's control panel setup.

And I've also removed and re-installed CS4 and the ICC profile from CD (It's not an original CD as I bought the printer, CIS and ink from an eBayer seller back in March - all working fine up until now).

From what I can tell, the profile is version 2.0.0. Looking on the Sawgrass website (http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical ... c-profiles (http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical-support/rotech/icc-profiles)) version 2.5 is available. I've downloaded this, but haven't installed it yet as it's asking me for the retailer I purchased it from (eBay - see above!). Does anyone have version 2.5 (for Windows Vista 32bit)? If so, please PM me and I'll contact you via email.

I can get good prints using the brightness control in CS4, but I need a different setting for each image I print - mostly A4 jigsaws at the moment.

Barry

bms
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
The profiles are specific to a particular version, but if you want the latest version please pm me with your email address and I'll forward it to you.

barryslip
09-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks Martin - PM sent.

Regards
Barry