PDA

View Full Version : Buying clothes for stock - advice please

Coops
02-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on how you decide on what type of clothing and sizes you keep in stock in preparation for orders?
I know this may be difficult question to answer due to what types of clothing you actually sell but if anyone has any generic advice they would like to share it would be greatly appreciated.

I made my very first sale (very excited) over the weekend (a real sale not family/friends) which was through eBay. What I didn't consider was purchasing clothing when receiving orders. Now I've just placed an order with MDP for the clothes I need (1 adult & 1 child) but have now realised I didn't consider the cost for delivery. Ive managed to add a few extra items for my kids and some clothing vinyl to make it worth while however it still wasn't enough to qualify for free delivery. I don't really want to place orders each time I have a sale as this would be costly. I know the obvious answer would be to order a small selection of sizes in a few colours and styles but can anyone add anymore advice to it.

Thanks
Coops

Justin
02-05-2017, 05:29 PM
My advice, keep as little stock as possible! When i started out I bought one of everything in every size....I still have some of it!

It's a bit of a juggling game, you need to know what colours/sizes you'll be selling most of.....but you won't know that yet ;-)

Coops
02-05-2017, 06:03 PM
I am concerned that I will order too much, especially in the wrong sizes. I think I will go through my designs and maybe order a few large and mediums of the standard colours (worse case scenario I could give them to my family) it's just women's clothing that will be difficult.

I am finding that the sizes vary quite a lot across the different styles and brands. My wife wasn't too happy with the women's sizes of the FOTL (they make her a size bigger which she isn't too keen on lol)

mr-gobby
02-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Tricky i also have things i bought first time when checking things out, stuff can also go obsolete too.lack and white t shirts should be okay in moderation just choose a brand and get to know it for size feel and durability

Coops
03-05-2017, 12:31 AM
I have looked at a few other brands and so far I like the FOTL clothing range. It's not bad price wise but the sizing is a bit off. Recently I have been ordering some samples of clothing but am yet to find anything that is in the price range and quality of FOTL. I currently order from MDP and Absolute Apparel.

I received a catalogue from Ralawise, what a cool catalogue. A fantastic selection of clothing it's just a shame about the prices. Its hard to justify the prices of them when companies like Primark sell amazingly cheap clothes. Any other places I could try?

calvinabc
03-05-2017, 02:07 AM
it is difficult when you are starting out, but dont keep any stock, just allow 1-2 weeks to complete your orders and then when you have a few to start building up you can order them together. im surprised what you say about the ralawise pricing. i will have to go and investigate. you can also try prestige leisure wear. but each of the major suppliers will have some core brands that they are cheaper than the other company with.
i think its absolute apparel they will allow a 2 day delivery which is half the price for delivery over the standard which is useful if you dont need it next day.

webtrekker
03-05-2017, 10:55 AM
I received a catalogue from Ralawise, what a cool catalogue. A fantastic selection of clothing it's just a shame about the prices. Its hard to justify the prices of them when companies like Primark sell amazingly cheap clothes. Any other places I could try?

You need to forget about Primark. B&M next to me sell decent printed mugs for a little over £1, but I don't let that deter me because B&M can't produce PERSONALISED items, and that's the edge I have over all of these big outlets.

Saying that, it's possible to dyesub on pure cotton items now so maybe buy some of that cheap gear from Primark and add your own designs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :eek:

ArferMo
03-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Huh.... watch out for that so called dyesub onto cotton, the colours change sooooo much after just one or two washes. Best place for that method is hen/stag party kit which will only be used once or seaside trinket shop where you will never see the punter again.

Coops
03-05-2017, 11:28 AM
From my point of view (just starting out in this) keeping costs down is key. I know this is the same for everyone however I need to compete in an already competitive market. With the likes of eBay selling items ridiculously cheap it's hard for people (in the current economic climate) to justify paying more for a t-shirt. The cost of my items are higher because I am unable to purchase the volumes needed to reduce the cost price. It's also hard when I can purchase the same t-shirt on eBay at the price that I buy it from supposed trade suppliers. With Ralawise, the clothing looks great, but the price I am charged is higher than the costs advertised in their catalogue.

webtrekker
03-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Huh.... watch out for that so called dyesub onto cotton, the colours change sooooo much after just one or two washes. Best place for that method is hen/stag party kit which will only be used once or seaside trinket shop where you will never see the punter again.

I've not had the experience with sublimation to cotton garments that you've probably had AferMo, but the way I understand it is that the transfer paper has a polyester layer which takes the print in much the same way as sublimating on a polyester garment.

webtrekker
03-05-2017, 11:41 AM
From my point of view (just starting out in this) keeping costs down is key. I know this is the same for everyone however I need to compete in an already competitive market. With the likes of eBay selling items ridiculously cheap it's hard for people (in the current economic climate) to justify paying more for a t-shirt. The cost of my items are higher because I am unable to purchase the volumes needed to reduce the cost price. It's also hard when I can purchase the same t-shirt on eBay at the price that I buy it from supposed trade suppliers. With Ralawise, the clothing looks great, but the price I am charged is higher than the costs advertised in their catalogue.

I'm not wanting to dull your enthusiasm here but the plain fact of the matter is that, if you can't compete with other sellers, then you either need to figure out a way in which you CAN compete, or give it up as a bad job before investing too much and move on to something else.

Some of these ebay sellers are making PENNIES and there's just no way to compete. The only hope you have is if your items are better quality goods, printed to a higher quality or are more original and eye-catching. That means you can set your own price as people can't buy the same for less.

ArferMo
03-05-2017, 08:53 PM
@webtrekker yes that is correct.

From my tests the colours was out quite quickly. After one wash black goes a dark chestnut brown and gets lighter with each subsequent wash even if washed under 40C. NO WAY am I selling garments with that on and to be honest it had quite a hand :frown: very disappointing and the A4 sheets are not cheap.

bms
03-05-2017, 09:16 PM
@webtrekker yes that is correct.

From my tests the colours was out quite quickly. After one wash black goes a dark chestnut brown and gets lighter with each subsequent wash even if washed under 40C. NO WAY am I selling garments with that on and to be honest it had quite a hand :frown: very disappointing and the A4 sheets are not cheap.

What product are we talking about here? The Sublicotton can't have a 'hand' as where there is no ink there is only plain uncoated paper. The paper has nothing on it at all. There is the cheap inkjet stuff that sticks on top of a Tshirt which does leave an awful feel to the garment.

froggy
04-05-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm not wanting to dull your enthusiasm here but the plain fact of the matter is that, if you can't compete with other sellers, then you either need to figure out a way in which you CAN compete, or give it up as a bad job before investing too much and move on to something else.

Some of these ebay sellers are making PENNIES and there's just no way to compete. The only hope you have is if your items are better quality goods, printed to a higher quality or are more original and eye-catching. That means you can set your own price as people can't buy the same for less.

Thats possibly the best piece of advice you have given on the boards.

To OP
Search out product areas you have a chance of earning with, unfortunately on the internet those niches are getting few and far between.

ArferMo
04-05-2017, 07:50 PM
@bms I was talking about Reveal S papers not that messy fiddly sprinkle the powder system.

ArferMo
04-05-2017, 09:04 PM
After the previous post tonight by BMS I thought for nine quid including vat I'd give their powder sublicotton process a fair go.... 10 sheets plus a bag or polymer powder ain't going to break the bank.

Then at checkout the overcharging mechanism cut in and they want to sting you £7.14 for the privilege of a 5 day delivery schedule for something that would happily got at large letter rate and be delivered next day.... needless to say I deleted the order.

webtrekker
04-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Thats possibly the best piece of advice you have given on the boards.

To OP
Search out product areas you have a chance of earning with, unfortunately on the internet those niches are getting few and far between.

Thanks froggy. I do try my best to please.

Paul
05-05-2017, 12:01 AM
@bms I was talking about Reveal S papers not that messy fiddly sprinkle the powder system.
Have you tried Reveal S?

logobear
05-05-2017, 01:53 AM
Either
choose a stock item, - and have a good batch in house stock....
or
offer print on demand .... from a wide range of product ..... and be beholden to your suppliers.
ME ?
we have a few choice product than we carry in depth, - all else is order on demand ,..... and we use pencarrie
my 2p
Phil

Coops
05-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the info. I found Pencarrie last night and will be placing an order today for some Clothing. I have been using FOTL clothing up until now but have been a bit disappointed with their quality. Ive decided to order a few a different brands from Pencarrie to check the quality before placing an order for 'stock'. For this I will stick to standard colours and order a few of the normal sizes. I have been surprised at the vastness in sizes for different brands, a large in one brand is not a large in another. I'm also finding it hard to find women's vests and reasonably priced baby clothes.

logobear
08-05-2017, 11:38 AM
i have been v happy with pencarry for 20 years.
the ss605 softspun fruit of the loom is great, - thou slimfitted so you need to go up half a size

Coops
09-05-2017, 02:19 AM
@logobear, it's reassuring to hear that you are still using the same company after so many years so I presume problems have been few and far between.

I received my first delivery today. I was very impressed with the range of items that they sell and at a very competitive price. I like the feel of Gildan and Sol clothing. There are a nice selection of colours in both however I think I will go for Gildan as there are similar colours for adults and children (good for matching items) and it's well priced. The Sol brand was cheap and had a good range too, I think they will be my backup.

I am yet to find any good places for babies and women's vests. Any ideas on where to buy them? Thanks

mrs maggot
09-05-2017, 09:26 AM
wholesale kids clothing for kids stuff, ladies vest tops are limited size wise, FOTL and Gildan both do them, but don't get ahead of yourself, and remember you will get far more returns from women's clothes than you will from mens, women do not like to order the size that fits them, they like to order the size they think will fit them. Quite often I have held up a womans t shirt and when they have asked what size it is, I say its your size! and tear off the label.