PDA

View Full Version : What process/papers would be best?

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Hi fellow forum readers and members.
I have been asked to provide 20-30 tshirts in white and black for a local blues and rock band.
I currently have a sub printer (Ricoh) and a beat up old inkjet printer. I have seen what looks like a good deal from TMT for the OKI C612 laser printer and am thinking about purchasing this to do this order and then I have another option for other works.
I have seen the post about the Yolo papers that can be used with sub ink but obviously this, I am guessing , wouldn't do the black t shirts.
This is the bands artwork that they want printing.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170520/0dec6b2897982f019687fba0b5d5afda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Yolo Jet-Opaque II is for darks a it has a white base layer to take the ink. The paper isn't self-weeding though, so you'd either need a cutter or a steady cutting hand!

Personally, I wouldn't want to be cutting out 20-30 of that design by hand.

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 03:31 PM
I have a cutter but not an optical one to follow cut marks. That is why I was looking at the TMT offer but not sure of the lighter parts of this image would need a white printer.

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 03:56 PM
From the Yolo site for the JET-opaque II paper:

A soft inkjet transfer paper with a white background to hide the colour of the fabric
Suitable for transferring all types of images onto bright or dark coloured cotton or polyester fabrics
Compatible with virtually any inkjet printer - print with dye-based, pigment or sublimation inks
No need to mirror or reverse your image before printing
Transfers a thin white film background behind the image
Use a hand iron or heat press for application
Size(s) available: A4 and A3 sheets

I would imagine that image would need a white background if pressed to a dark garment.

The act of pressing releases the sublimation inks into the white backing layer so that you retain vivid colours, just as if pressing any other sublimation item.

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 03:57 PM
As you say I don't fancy trying to cut out 20-30 of that design

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 04:01 PM
As you say I don't fancy trying to cut out 20-30 of that design

Question is: What would be more useful to you in the future? The Oki laser printer, or a contour cutter?

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 04:34 PM
I have a Graphtec cutter for my signage work up to 750 wide but it has no optical eye. Have no need for one as I don't have a wide format printer. If I did I wouldn't even be asking the question as I would be printing it on garment vinyl and cutting it.
I am happy to get someone to print these on a Roland and send them to me to press but am looking at the other options and how I can expand my range of products. I am not looking at spending the 4-5K on a solvent/latex printer as I do not currently have the workload to keep these kind of machines going.
Is the laser print better than ink jet/sublimation?

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Is the laser print better than ink jet/sublimation?

Sorry, I wouldn't know as I don't have a laser printer. I can vouch for the inkjet/ sublimation prints looking great, but haven't wash-tested them to any extent.

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 04:59 PM
I have been following your other post with interest and that is why I have asked the question. I noticed you said that you were away at the moment or something along those lines.

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Yes, been looking after me old Dad while the rest of the family were on holiday, but I'm back home now.

I really need to get a print or two pressed on a t-shirt and give it good few washes, not that I'm into garment printing myself, but I like to know the limits of whatever materials I use. I'm thinking of printing the same design on both my Canon inkjet and Ricoh sublimation printers to compare them after washing. There's no discernable difference in the prints straight after pressing.

BTW, I see you use an A4 Ricoh printer and a Chinese press. Near enough the same as what I'm using myself (not sure if it's Chinese though) and I'm getting good results on cotton Tote bags (which probably never get washed anyway).

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 05:38 PM
A few, admittedly not the best :biggrin:, photos of a design I lashed up in Photoshop, on the JetPro SS paper, printed with sublimation inks, and pressed onto a Tote bag -

[Right-click and View Image for a larger view]

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4638&stc=1

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4639&stc=1

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4640&stc=1

If you look very closely, you may be able to see the parts of the transparent backing which I left in place to connect the whole design together, rather than messing about with application tape. Look between the 'B' and 'and.' Also between the 'B' and 'e' of Beauty. It's hardly noticeable on the actual bag and wouldn't detract from the final result, but does save time (and application tape!).

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Nice. My press has been upgraded to a Korean one I think? The HP 3805 from BMS. Though I got mine as a 2nd user.

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 05:43 PM
I should say that this design was cut right through and not 'kiss-cut,' hence the need to link it all together with 'bridges' of transparent backing. The backing is, in fact, white when cut but turns transparent when heat-pressed.

webtrekker
20-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Apologies again for the poor pictures. The bags are, in fact, a light cream colour and not brown!!!

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 05:50 PM
would be interested to see if the dark papers would leave a white or transparent background?

Found my answer, no it has a white background.

logobear
20-05-2017, 06:03 PM
magic touch products are great, but their laser products wont work without a really good heat press - think Adkins ....
The Oci won't do you any good unless you have a good high pressure press to partner it

Quinsfan
20-05-2017, 06:10 PM
What about the YOLO laser products? I was only asking as the laser printer seems a good deal.
I have to say when I visited the TMT stand at print and promotion they were very negative and didn't really want to give me any time explaining their products unless I would commit to purchasing a new press to use with their products. Seemed to me that it was all about the commission on the press rather than the product. Who says that a press isn't strong enough? How can I check the pressure that my press gives out?

logobear
22-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Hi Quinsfan,
Laser transfere products just wont work withour really high pressure ... and cheap chineese presses, - while fine for sub & vinyl, .... will just fail to produce consistant results with laser paper.
TMT are a really great 7 conscientious company, with great technical support. they wouldn't sell you somthing that wouldn't work!

Re commission, - I don't think any of the suppliers make much on hardware, its all about the media!

Quinsfan
27-05-2017, 05:04 PM
I have now got some of the Yolo papers and will have a play. I have also had a thought about pressing onto darks. I know that the dark garment papers would leave a white edge if not trimmed correctly if you don't have a contour cut facility. . I wondered if laying down a white vinyl a couple of mm smaller first and then laying the light/clear paper over the top, this way it would leave a clear border but the white vinyl already laid down would act as the white background for dark garments. I hope that makes sense.

Quinsfan
03-06-2017, 03:11 PM
An update on the Yolo transfers with sublimation ink. The one on the right has not been washed and the one on the left 1 wash at 30%. Not impressed I am afraid.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/65f5f5b95175d1bf2a8cc3b9f6d4ffd4.jpg