PDA

View Full Version : cut printed image ?

strandville
25-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Hi, I would like to print images to transfer paper and cut out the image using the Silhouette plotter is this possible and is so how ? I have searched but can only find information on using the image in silhouette studio which isn't what I would like.

webtrekker
25-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Yes, it's possible, and yes, you need to cut from Silhouette Studio (or other compatible software). Why are you thinking you wouldn't like to do this? You need to vectorise the outline of your image before any software can cut it.

strandville
25-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Hi webtracker, I have some intricate celtic images I want to transfer to cotton but would like to cut them out from the transfer paper after print I am just wondering if it is possible to print the image to transfer paper, then somehow get the silhouette to recognise the image on the paper and cut it, I'm likely asking too much of the silhouette lol

webtrekker
25-06-2017, 10:59 AM
It's called 'Print & Cut' and you'll find lots of info on youtube. You need to print corner 'registration marks' along with your design to enable the Cameo to accurately determine where the outline should be cut around your image.

However, I'm not sure if Silhouette Studio can handle printing using an ICC profile, which is what you'd need if printing with sublimation inks. I use Sure Cuts A Lot software for my cutter, which also can't use ICC's, but I output the print to a PDF file which I can then print directly from Photoshop, which DOES handle ICC profiles. I then cut that as if it had been printed from my cutting software.

For cutting designs from a sheet without using registration marks then you need to look up the 'Hinge method.' Here's a video for the Cricut cutter explaining how to do that ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptrF5U4kfU

strandville
25-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Brilliant, many thanks.

Paul
25-06-2017, 02:30 PM
contour cut :rolleyes:
not print and cut :)

webtrekker
25-06-2017, 04:49 PM
contour cut :rolleyes:
not print and cut :)

It's called 'print & cut' Paul amongst all crafters that use these machines, even though the printing isn't done on the same machine, like the BN-20. The job is still printed with reg marks and cut.

Paul
25-06-2017, 04:58 PM
So is called contour cut among crafters and printers i know. But i do understand why people call it print & cut even if its not correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strandville
25-06-2017, 04:59 PM
semantics regardless, thanks for the video, haven't tried it yet but will do shortly.