PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh 3300n LOW INK

daniboy0812
22-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi guys

Have a 'low ink' warning that has come on pretty quickly after buying the printer new from BMS.

Heard that the inks should last for over 1000 mugs standard colour priority print.

Should i be wary of ink running out very soon or is it the manufacturer trying to get me to buy more ink sooner than i should be.

Any info will be great

cheers joel

John G
22-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Where did you here of the 1000 mugs per carts ratio ?

daniboy0812
22-11-2010, 02:20 PM
was told by martin BMS approx 300 sheets fully printed in colour - stats from epson i think

currently getting 3 to a page of A4 tru pix so approx 1000 mugs

running 29ml carts

mixture of full wrap colour & names/motifs on both sides no background

any ideas?

joel

heard you can bypass the 'low ink warning'?

JSR
22-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Where did you here of the 1000 mugs per carts ratio ?
It was mentioned on this thread: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1370 when I queried the cost/ml of Ricoh ink vs Epson ink.

I don't think it's said to be "1000 mugs per cart", rather "1000 mugs per inkset" - meaning that if you print solely black, then that one will most likely run out sooner (possibly around 200 mugs) but the others will still have loads of ink in them.

It's not known how much ink the person who quoted "1000" mugs actually used. To quote BMS -

But bear in mind there was no information about how much ink was put down on each mug transfer - I don't know how much ink coverage there was on average. Could have been 10%, could have been 40% or more.
So I don't know where the "fully printing in colour" comes from.

It's also worth considering that you won't get as many prints from the first set of Ricoh cartridges because a good proportion of it is used to fill in the ink lines (that's the same for any printer with remote-mounted cartridges). If your cartridges contain 29ml and you need 10ml (just a guess) to fill the ink lines, then you're only going to get 2/3rds of the number of prints from the first inkset (you will get more from future cartridges) - this is why you should never switch inksets in a printer with remote-mounted cartridges.

daniboy0812
22-11-2010, 03:45 PM
i shall start saving for some new inks asap!!

£48 inc delivery is my cheapest supported cartridge yet - any further discounts anywhere?

joel

John G
22-11-2010, 07:42 PM
£48 inc delivery is my cheapest supported cartridge yet

Can you get unsupported carts for a ricoh ?

Cheers John

MarkW
01-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi

I have just replaced the yellow and magenta cartridges on my 3300n, the cyan and black will be due soon. All have been on low ink for ages - dont change your cartridges until you get a message on the display saying which colours to replace.

I checked the built in counter on the display and mine has managed 286 sheets, of which 200 were A4 and the rest have been Legal. I try to use as much of the paper as possible, arranging multiple items.

I expect to get considerably more pages from the second set of cartridges as the first ones seem drop down pretty much straight away due to filling and priming the system. The replaced cartidges now show all bars full on the display.

Although my usage has been mixed items - based upon the number of sheets printed I would have got around about 750-800 mugs from the initial set (mixed artwork text/photos/full wraps the lot) and hope that the second set will probably be close to the 1000 mark.

My calcs - full set of 4 carts £160 plus vat this works out at around 16p plus vat (18.8p inc) per mug ink cost.

I really hope that I dont regret saying this but not one blocked nozzle on the Ricoh, even after I got back after a two and half week holiday - my Epson 1400 would have happily tried to drain the bulk system on head cleans if I dared to leave it alone for a week!

I hope this info helps.

gstk
12-12-2010, 12:26 AM
We bought a Ricoh 3300 a while ago and have been recording all prints. We are just about to finish our second set of cartridges and I have to say it is not as expensive as I first worked out from what I had been told. Yes the Epson Inkjets will print more per £1 but god how I dont miss the priming and clogging and hassle with them.

Will post results when I get around to it.