PDA

View Full Version : 10oz and 11oz mugs

John G
21-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi All,
Could someone tell me what the difference is between these mugs apart from 1oz. Is the circumference the same but they are taller? I'm interested as I am using 10oz from xpres and need to know whether 11oz fit in my press.

Cheers John

jennywren
21-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I use the 10oz because they fit into a acetate box and will fit into my mugs stands, Both mugs fit into my press and the mug machine. The 10oz is ligher and cheaper to post. 11oz are slighter taller and circumerence is bigger. I had to have two templates when I did both. But the 10oz just works for me and the packageing.

John G
21-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Cheers Jennywren,
I do like the 10oz xpres mugs but have seen some cheaper 11oz ones at "lovecut". I haven't bought from them before but the price is very good - i'll probably by a box to test before buying in bulk.

The mug size difference won't matter as the postal boxes I use are quite large - just checking to make sure they fitted my mug press.
Cheers John,

bms
21-11-2009, 08:46 PM
The 11oz and 10oz mugs should be the same diameter as each other - 80mm or there abouts. The 11oz mugs normally stand 95mm tall and have a quite chunky feel to them with quite large handles and normally a thicker ceramic.

Going back a while, most sublimation mugs used to come from TAMS in the UK (the most popular being called the Durham style). When they no longer produced mugs the chinese stepped in with a mug and this became known in the industry as the 11oz mug. The chinese also started producing mug presses for the 11oz mugs and the 11oz mugs started becoming very popular.

The Durham style mug is much more similar to the 10oz mug and tends to have a thinner ceramic and smaller handle style.

Just be careful about price on mugs as often the coating of the mug drives the price. A good quality coating is expensive. Anyone can buy container loads of mugs cheaply with what are supposed to be dishwasher safe coatings. The chinese will give absolute guarantees of dishwasher proof, but they don't have dishwashers like we have in Europe. Give the cheaper ones a go, but before you give any personal guarantees of dishwasher safety put them through the paces of your own dishwasher for a few months. Sometimes the coating will flake off, the image might run, the image might start to fade at the top where the water hits it hardest.

John G
21-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Good info there Martin, maybe the cheaper mugs are not always the best choice then. :D I'll use my xpres stock then when I need more I'll give the BMS ones a go.

Cheers John

jennywren
21-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Is the duraglaze the same as durham or are they both the same

JSR
22-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Is the duraglaze the same as durham or are they both the same
Durham is a style, Duraglaze is a coating. Listawood sell Duraglaze coated mugs (10oz, 15oz, China, etc).

bms
22-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes Duraglaze is the coating, but I believe this is Listawoods own brand name for their coating, which I think is the RN coating. The Xpres mugs and BMS European are the same height/ diameter - it's just the coating that is different as the BMS ones are RN coated.

The Listawood 10oz mugs are similar to the Durham style that used to be made by TAMS. These are around 92/93mm tall and 80mm diameter (both the Xpres mugs and BMS mugs are 90mm tall and 80mm diameter). All these styles fit into the poly boxes for sending by post. The 11oz versions are usually a too large and cause the poly boxes to break when they are squeezed in.

Calypso Bay
30-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Martin

On your mug press machine which is on offer, will any 10oz mugs also fit or is the bare minimum the 11oz mugs and higher??

cheers

Calypso

bms
30-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Just about any 11oz/ 10oz version will fit. I've used it for our European mugs and beer steins so this will cater for the vast majority of mugs.