PDA

View Full Version : Macbook or Windows Laptop (or imac v Desktop)

mr-gobby
15-05-2018, 05:01 PM
So our Windows 7 i5 laptops 8gb and large HDD's both have a dog slowness about them loading stuff or freezing a while checking emails or loading something and it wastes so much time and causes huge annoyance, we could wipe and start again but they always clog up so I wondered does anyone favour and use Apples either macbook or imac and run Coreldraw in a windows simulator and find they have a careefree fast and untroubled time with increased productivity and happy smiles rather than expletives and pulled faces at the ever annoying Windows (PS im die hard windows never a mac has crossed my threshold but for love of god I'm frustrated here!)

Mark

webtrekker
15-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Would fitting an SSD not be a better option?

mr-gobby
15-05-2018, 06:30 PM
It might improve some elements of the speed but get loads of not responding errors and the time wasted, I know its in minutes but they add up to hours wasted stood awaiting them to sort themselves out and get on with the task, drives us nuts at times. Just wondered as never hear of mac related woes and slowdowns whether thats a better solution for productivity.

Smart Mart
15-05-2018, 10:06 PM
I have a macbook pro & it zips along without any problems, very fast too running multiple apps. I use photoshop on it not cdraw so can't help you on that side but i would highly recommend one. I have an early imac 24 inch but hardly use it-that too has been trouble free, support is still very good for it.

webtrekker
16-05-2018, 01:30 AM
So our Windows 7 i5 laptops 8gb and large HDD's

To be honest, that's the same setup I have but I'm not experiencing the issues you have.

I can run Photoshop CS5 with multiple documents open, Rhino 5, and Keyshot 6, yet still be able to surf with Firefox, print address labels from Word, or run my cutting software. My opinion is that Mac's are way overpriced and don't allow all the third party upgrades that make Windows machines so versatile.

However, it's an argument that will never be solved and, in most cases, you pays your money and makes your choice!

mr-gobby
16-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Agree Macs are overpriced and more restrictive in available software than Windows with it's greater flexibility and availability but I rarely hear people complaining their Macs gone slow or disks flaky or it's doing essential updates. From an IT background I turned my nose up a bit at the prepress dept's Macs years ago but they rarely called for help with their kit! Adobe and Mac seems a fit but we've used Coreldraw so to swap would be a task though it's being considered, more costly route but if productivity and general office karma improved it could be worth a look! Else It'll be another Windows adventure of installs and set ups then hours of tweaking and adding relevant software and drivers and probably on Windows 10 at this stage where we'll find what doesn't work with 10 that we really need so an old decrepit chunter of a Windows box is kept in service for a random essential purpose. What is required is a client server with dumb terminal access where all management is scheduled overnight and never interrupts play and users dont get to fiddle and change things for the worse, sounds like going back to the early 80's when we green screen terminals,,,, hmm.

I notice you say Firefox, interesting as we use Chrome and I do think it's got a machine overhead and run random chrome clean up software tools that also seem to slow it up, maybe a browser change worth a try first.

Smart Mart
16-05-2018, 11:44 AM
I had an old windows 7 laptop which went very slow,i did the free upgrade windows 10 offer & that runs so much better, so maybe try windows 10?

logobear
16-05-2018, 06:21 PM
if you spend the same amount on a windows PC as you would with apple ..... you will get an awesome pc!

Not fair to compare a 500 quid pc with a 1500 quid apple !

mr-gobby
16-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Ha Logo B a very true financial point and it's not lost on me either, I don't disagree but if an Apple / illustrator or simulated Corel system will spare hours of productive time then from a work generation point of view that might be a drop in the ocean. On the one hand I NEVER hear Apple users complain of problems like Windows users do but on the other I NEVER hear any one singing Apple praise, is that because they are smugley smiling at all the Windows users whilst making hand gestures under the table.

JMugs
16-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Apple /Mac joke time.....
How do you milk sheep?
Bring out a new iPhone......

OK, I'm leaving the building...

Janners

Paul
16-05-2018, 09:23 PM
I have an iMac and macbook pro and two windows machine. One win7 and one new with win10.
and i can tell you from years of experience that Macs just works!
windows not that well :)
more problematic and temperamental. Dont get me wrong, windows work too but need more atention.

and i may shock you now... if you fork out money on your pc to be like your mac, means absolutely nothing. As this will only speed it up for some time. Apple is not hardware company. It is a software company so thats why macs work so well. MacOs is designd to work on very specific hardware that is carefuly choicen to work best.
So untill windows will be like a gigantic rubish bin it will never be as smooth to work with as mac os

Justin
16-05-2018, 09:46 PM
One word for you...."Hackintosh"! iMac nowadays is just a PC inside, as Paul says it's the software that makes the difference.

You can build a PC that will run iOS.

Personally I'm a PC man. I own an iMac and a MacBook Pro. The MacBook is fantastic (should be at that price!) but is totally underused. iMac I don't get ion so well with. It has it's place.....next to my PC playing Netflix during the rare lunch break!

I like knowing how my PC was put together, knowing I can fix it, repair it, replace bits. A well built PC carefully maintained will perform as well as a Mac imo.

SSD is key to a good running PC. Many applications can's use 12 threads or 64Gb of memory but everything benefits from a good quality fast SSD.

mr-gobby
16-05-2018, 09:49 PM
jmugs, same company perhaps but different situation, least microsoft had the balls there to admit that windows phone OS died a death. I have Apple opposition opinions but there is good and bad elements in Apple as well as MS though I don't think people are fools for going with Apple, no more than everyone who rode the Nokia phone wave some years back or Blackberry. Apple bless them are pretty consistent despite loosing their company founder who together with Bill pretty much made the tech environment we all live in today.

Paul I was expecting you to contribute, had you down as an apple enthusiast. MACos is well designed but in a very limited capacity which makes it both reliable but also restrictive. Reliable however is something that when your wanting to do a job is an advantage. Apple is however a hardware company in that it determines its own specifications but I understand your point.

mr-gobby
15-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Managed to speed things up a while with a clean around but back to slowness, hdd is suspected issue it was replaced before and I think it's playing up, that or as known W7 just bogs down eventually! Anyway we have taken a adobe subscription on - full house job and so will be trying that instead of coreldraw going forward. I think we are going to replace the laptop with a Dell XPS15 with 4k screen and toss up is between two available at Dell, 16mb RAM&500SSD or 32mb RAM& 1gb SSD - difference is about £400 sort of £1650 v £2050 and then there is an option of support extra £130 all adds up, not sure but the 16mb & 500ssd sounds nicer to me but will it cut the mustard?

Randomnam3
15-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Managed to speed things up a while with a clean around but back to slowness, hdd is suspected issue it was replaced before and I think it's playing up, that or as known W7 just bogs down eventually! Anyway we have taken a adobe subscription on - full house job and so will be trying that instead of coreldraw going forward. I think we are going to replace the laptop with a Dell XPS15 with 4k screen and toss up is between two available at Dell, 16mb RAM&500SSD or 32mb RAM& 1gb SSD - difference is about £400 sort of £1650 v £2050 and then there is an option of support extra £130 all adds up, not sure but the 16mb & 500ssd sounds nicer to me but will it cut the mustard?

The way i would look at it is; Are you going to need the extra 16gb of memory in the next 6 months or so to warrant the extra £ or would you be happy to wait 6 months and see if you the extra memory would benefit you then and buy the memory seperately which may have come down in value..

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 320s I7 (8th Gen) with 8GB RAM running windows 10, i havent yet found anything that i have an issue running and it only cost me £675 7 months ago.