PDA

View Full Version : First mug success (ish)

Power_cosmic
09-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi, Ive spent most of this evening setting up my printer for CISS (Phew!), installing ink and ICC profiles and have pressed my first mug :D
It looks pretty good, for my first :? attempt, but it's not quite right.
It is to be a Christmas present for my Step dad.
I'm not sure if I am being super fussy, possibly because of who it's for, but the image seems a little wonky.
Has anyone got any tips or ideas how to make sure the picture lines up straight and doesn't crease or blur out at the edges.
Is there a tool you can buy?
Or is it just down to eyesight?
Thank you in advance.

F

I'll let you know how I get on.

AJLA
09-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Well done Frankie!

The lining up...well when I print three to a sheet I cut them with a gullotine so they are nice and straight and then yep all dow to your eyes you may fiddle with a few and think your eyes aren't straight but it'll soon become soo easy.
Good luck.

Mugsman
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi how are you holding the paper/ image in place ?? you shouldnt get any creases in it ??

jennywren
09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
To cut my paper I use craft knife and use a metal ruler, it cuts the time down and is quicker. A plastic ruler gets nicks in it. I also use a Stanly knife, you know the ones where you get about six for a pound. It works a treat. Try it.

Mugsman
09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
To cut my paper I use craft knife and use a metal ruler, it cuts the time down and is quicker. A plastic ruler gets nicks in it. I also use a Stanly knife, you know the ones where you get about six for a pound. It works a treat. Try it.
i mean what tape are you useing to hold paper on the mug in the press ? or am i not reading the problem properly ???

jennywren
09-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I use heat press tape, I meant the when I cut before i put on mug I cut with a Stanly knife when i line up it up on the mug I use the handle as my middle point and that generally takes care of the problem of putting it straight up on a mug. hope that explains it or have I got the question wrong :oops:

Mugsman
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
I use heat press tape, I meant the when I cut before i put on mug I cut with a Stanly knife when i line up it up on the mug I use the handle as my middle point and that generally takes care of the problem of putting it straight up on a mug. hope that explains it or have I got the question wrong :oops:
lol Nope not your fault jenny mine i use the handel as a middle point and print a line @ the bottom of the mug up 5mm below it see pic as might explaine it better lol[attachment=0:137pszaa]temp1.jpg[/attachment:137pszaa]

AdamB
10-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't print lines on any templates as there may be a 'risk' of the line transfering onto the mug, the blanket or whatever when it's cooking.

At the start of my adventures I created a template that would work on a mug (as rectangle). I use the same template for mugs I create and then cut them out with a 2-5mm border (depending on what design is being used). I always use the top of the mug as a guide and then look at the handle to make sure there's the same distance on each side of it to the paper (that way you know it's in the middle).

If I want a little border (white rim) around the mug I mive the paper so it's online with the rim of the mug - if I want a full colour image I move it further so the image overlaps the mug (I have allowed for this in the design).

Then I tape it with a few strips of heat resistant tape making sure the paper is tight and straight - then press.

It always works for me :-)

JSR
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I cut with a ruler and Stanley knife.

If the design has an edge (like a photo) then I use the gradations on the ruler to cut parallel to the design. If the design doesn't have an edge, then I print with a border line and then cut the paper just within that line (so it's not on the paper when stuck to the mug).

I then line up the cut-out sheet to the edge of the mug using my ruler to ensure the paper is aligned parallel to the top and bottom of the mug.

I use a plastic ruler because it's transparent and so I can see the edge of the paper/mug through the ruler, which makes it easier to line up with the gradations.

Some mugs aren't straight enough to print this way and you end up with the paper/print not being parallel to the edge of the mug - so I don't buy in those ones.

Power_cosmic
11-12-2010, 12:42 AM
A big thank you to everyone for all of your fantastic help and advice.

Well done Frankie!

The lining up...well when I print three to a sheet I cut them with a gullotine so they are nice and straight and then yep all dow to your eyes you may fiddle with a few and think your eyes aren't straight but it'll soon become soo easy.
Good luck.

Cheers, I've now got a guillotine and the outline lines are much straighter.

Hi how are you holding the paper/ image in place ?? you shouldnt get any creases in it ??

Hi, I'm using heat tape, I think the (minor) creasing was down to trying to put an image that was too big for the press, so it got a bit squished.
Thanks for your bottom line template idea, I'll be giving that a try!

Hi Jenny, I did consider the ruler Stanley knife idea, but I ended up going with a guillotine because I play guitar in a band. I can't see that working so well with a few less fingers!

I don't print lines on any templates as there may be a 'risk' of the line transfering onto the mug, the blanket or whatever when it's cooking.

Hi Adam, I see, you have a point there.
What if I put heat resistant tape on the transfer (image side ) to cover the printed line?

I cut with a ruler and Stanley knife.

If the design has an edge (like a photo) then I use the gradations on the ruler to cut parallel to the design. If the design doesn't have an edge, then I print with a border line and then cut the paper just within that line (so it's not on the paper when stuck to the mug).

Some mugs aren't straight enough to print this way and you end up with the paper/print not being parallel to the edge of the mug - so I don't buy in those ones.

Thanks for this. I did think there was a very slight difference between the top and bottom. They are Coralgraph mugs though, so it's probably me!

My next question is, I seem to be getting a light coloured residue in the darker areas of the image. I am cooking for 2 mins 50 sec at 185 degrees. Is this too hot or too long? I have tried shorter times and cooler temps but the picture is faded and blurry or lightens around the edges.
Any advice is very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks again for all your helpful tips.

F

AdamB
11-12-2010, 12:47 AM
You never said which 'ink' you are using Frankie?

If you're using 'fleabay' special sublimation ink then this can have a mind of it's own (my opinion, I had problems at the start - check out one of my earlier posts .............. others find it great), plus the paper you are using which can affect the transfer from paper to gas to mug.

Then if all that's right you can then finalise the timing and temperature.

:-)

Power_cosmic
16-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Hi, sorry for not replying sooner.
I have Artainium+ ink with the correct ICC profile installed.
I the paper is from Coralgraph, where I got my mugs.

The white residue or 'dusting' cleans off when wiped with a baby wipe, though not with a dry finger.
I still don't know what it is though!

Any ideas would be welcome.

F