PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh 7000GX Won't Switch On!

Stitch Up
11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Haven't used our Ricoh for quite some time. During the period of non-use, the printer was left switched on. I understand it does some sort of automatic nozzle clean using some ink. It's likely our inks have run dry during this auto process.

When I switch the Ricoh on, the LED illuminates but several secounds later, it goes off. Maybe this is intended when inks are run out?

Any ideas? I'm loathed to purchase more inks if the printer is bust!

John

JSR
11-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't have the printer in question, but Googling for the problem suggests it might be terminal.

Here's a typical link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/47tsp-ricoh-gx-7000-printer-will-not-turn-on-power-light.html in which someone asked the question and then came back to say that they found a similar situation online stating that the power board had gone.

This link lists a number of unsolved questions which sound like the same problem that you're getting, suggesting that this isn't an isolated case: http://www.fixya.com/support/t5682604-power_not_stay

Another link suggested that Ricoh won't support a printer that's been used with other inks besides their own "gel" ink, so you're only really going to get help from your supplier and/or Sawgrass.

For such an expensive printer, I hope you can get it fixed.

bms
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I think I have to agree with JSR on this one. We have had a GX7000 reported with the same fault and it was terminal. Ricoh engineers won't touch it as soon as you mention sublimation ink and the catch 22 here is that you can't just put in the genuine carts as this mixes the inks in the tubes and this can take lots of head purges to clean the inks through. If it is less than 12 months old contact your sublimation supplier and ask them to contact Sawgrass about the problem.

Ian M
12-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Jonathan, should I say 'Oh Brother' ;)

John I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Will be interesting to hear what Sawgrass have to say & do.

Ian :D

bms
12-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Is the printer less than a year old?

JSR
13-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Jonathan, should I say 'Oh Brother' ;)
I'm certainly not going to miss throwing away £300+ printers, I can tell you that! ;)

Will be interesting to hear what Sawgrass have to say & do.
Yes, I hope John posts back here when Sawgrass has fixed his printer. It'll be a good thing to let newbies know that they have something to fall back on when things go wrong.

Stitch Up
16-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still not getting any notifications from the forum when a reply has been made!

Regrettably my Ricoh 7000 GX is over a year old :( Fortunately I got it at a good price before the big price hike. Having said that, I still paid £300 +!

I will contact Sawgrass for their opinion/reaction. I would imagine they'd be concerned about this too and, if they just brush the matter aside, people, take note .......

I'll keep you posted.

John

JSR
16-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Regrettably my Ricoh 7000 GX is over a year old :( Fortunately I got it at a good price before the big price hike. Having said that, I still paid £300 +!
The year is just the length of the warranty (check your smallprint) but that has nothing to do with your statutory rights which, under the Sale of Goods Act, could be as much as 6 years.

If a circuit board has burned out (or some other manufacturing fault) then it may be possible to prove it was an inherent fault - particularly if you haven't used the printer for a few months.

That said, if the special price was second hand or as some kind of b-grade sale, you may not have the same rights.

Given that a new printer might be several hundred pounds, it might be worth asking Ricoh what they'd charge to get it fixed (if you don't get any joy from Sawgrass).

bms
16-12-2010, 07:40 PM
it might be worth asking Ricoh what they'd charge to get it fixed (if you don't get any joy from Sawgrass).

I believe Ricoh charge a call out of £150 before they start plus the cost of parts thereafter!

Of all the Ricoh's we've sold that have developed a fault within 12 months of supply then Sawgrass have stepped in and sorted the problems out (with new printers).

JSR
16-12-2010, 07:54 PM
it might be worth asking Ricoh what they'd charge to get it fixed (if you don't get any joy from Sawgrass).
I believe Ricoh charge a call out of £150 before they start plus the cost of parts thereafter!
That doesn't surprise me. When I had a problem with an Epson laser printer they quoted £140. It was a nice printer but I could have got the newer version for just £200, so I did. Manufacturers seem to want us to treat printers as throwaway items. How green is that?

Of all the Ricoh's we've sold that have developed a fault within 12 months of supply then Sawgrass have stepped in and sorted the problems out (with new printers).
So John's probably out of luck, then. Given that a new Ricoh 7000 GX costs £700 (£820 inc VAT) according to your website, the repair option might be worth investigating. Rather spend £300 on repair than £800 on a new one.

Stitch Up
16-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Okay, I'm now getting notifications - thanks Justin.

I purchased the printer July 2009 and, we haven't yet used up the first Sawgrass inks! So you can see, it's had very little use - perhaps this has contributed to the failure.

When the printers were first launched, they were considerably cheaper than they are now. In the good 'ole US of A, Conde Systems realised the potential of the printers and bought up the whole stock from Ricoh. At least, this is what I was told by the mand from Conde when I met him at FESPA in Munich. The price of the printers shot up.

I haven't yet spent anytime with the printer, other than trying to switch it on, I've done nothing. I hope to have more time this weekend.

Cheers

John

bms
16-12-2010, 10:20 PM
a new Ricoh 7000 GX costs £700 (£820 inc VAT) according to your website

That includes a full set of SubliJetR cartridges (value £240 +vat) so the printer is considerably cheaper by itself.

JSR
16-12-2010, 11:43 PM
a new Ricoh 7000 GX costs £700 (£820 inc VAT) according to your website

That includes a full set of SubliJetR cartridges (value £240 +vat) so the printer is considerably cheaper by itself.
Oh, my mistake. :lol: