PDA

View Full Version : help with installing colour profiles B40W

Mattie
14-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi

I am using a Epson B40W with sawgrass artainium ciss kit.

I have followed the PDF on how to install colour profiles- says right click and then click "install profile" then it say it does not confirm that profile has been installed but next time you right click it it'll say "uninstall profile" but all i get is "install profile" everytime so does this mean it's not installing.

can anyone help me please?

Paul
14-12-2010, 04:37 PM
welll. dont know who write this pdf but I run windows vista and I DONT hae uninstall when clicked again. if you instaled you profile then thats it! go to you software and hit porint. if this is photoshop then you should find your profile in drop down menu with profiles.

Mattie
14-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Managed to get profile installed but now when i print some colours are not coming out right E.G. green came out light blueish in photo.

I changed settings as per instructions on printer advanced options where it says set photo, fast print, icm, no colour change.

do i have to select a different setting when printing where you press print and can select from text, text and image, photo, best photo etc which one of these is best to select anyway?

I could do without this right now as i am trying to sort few big orders out.

Paul
14-12-2010, 08:03 PM
would be helpfull if you tell us what software you try to use.

Mattie
14-12-2010, 08:06 PM
sorry i use serif draw plus x4

never had any problems with colours just slightly different on certain prints but thought i'd try profile that came with printer and printed a image i have printed before and pressed it and colours where nothing like they should be the green came out a light grey blue colour

Paul
14-12-2010, 08:55 PM
i dont think this software is suported. so dont know how to set it up as all software is diferent....

bms
14-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I changed settings as per instructions on printer advanced options where it says set photo, fast print, icm, no colour change.

do i have to select a different setting when printing where you press print and can select from text, text and image, photo, best photo etc which one of these is best to select anyway?

There is a pdf on the CD that shows you what to do, but once you have done 'icm, no colour change' then you save this setting, e.g. Sublimation. Then when you go to print and have the printer dialogue up you have all the options like 'text, text and image etc' and the final one on the right is your custom setting - select this one.

have followed the PDF on how to install colour profiles- says right click and then click "install profile" then it say it does not confirm that profile has been installed but next time you right click it it'll say "uninstall profile" but all i get is "install profile" everytime so does this mean it's not installing.

Again, there is a pdf on the CD. I think it is the Read Me file in the route directory of the CD. There are instructions on how to copy and paste the profile to the appropriate location on the C: drive.

i use serif draw plus x4
This isn't supported so I don't know if this software has the ability to print with a profile. On the CD are instructions for setting up PhotoShop, PhotoShop Elements and Corel Draw which are the officially supported graphics packages.

JSR
15-12-2010, 12:10 AM
sorry i use serif draw plus x4

never had any problems with colours just slightly different on certain prints but thought i'd try profile that came with printer and printed a image i have printed before and pressed it and colours where nothing like they should be the green came out a light grey blue colour
I believe that DrawPlus X4 does support ICC profiles (DrawPlus 4 won't because that's ancient). Trouble is that so few people use it that almost no one will be able to tell you where to look for the right settings.

Typically, graphics software hide these things in a "colour management" section because the software is primarily designed to help create the graphics - not print it. They figure that if you go looking for advanced settings like colour management, then you should know enough to know where to look. Chicken and egg.

Most people will be more familiar with Corel, Photoshop, or (in my case) Qimage (which is a doddle for ICC and it only costs about £22 for the cheapest version - but it's completely ignored by Sawgrass in favour of the more expensive software... odd... :| ).

It is normally possible to get the printer driver to handle the Artanium profile, which will let you print from any application without hunting for obscure settings. The trouble is that Epson don't expect anyone to be doing advanced stuff with cheap-end printers. I have a B40W and it's missing the very settings that the more expensive 1400 has in the printer driver. With the 1400 you can happily print through any application, even if the app is oblivious to ICC profiles. But I've yet to find if those settings are hidden anywhere in the B40W's driver.

Mattie
15-12-2010, 09:43 AM
I've managed to get it sorted now pageplus x4 does support the profile i have altered the settings in colour management

JSR
15-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I've managed to get it sorted now pageplus x4 does support the profile i have altered the settings in colour management
I used to use PagePlus but I got so fed up with their incessant phone calls every fortnight that I went off Serif in a big way.

Mattie
15-12-2010, 12:09 PM
yeah the phone calls and emails do get annoying i bought the draw plus x5 off them to so i get double calls and emails haha

JSR
15-12-2010, 12:22 PM
yeah the phone calls and emails do get annoying i bought the draw plus x5 off them to so i get double calls and emails haha
I was alright with them when they called up every 3-6 months to let me know what was new - I always let them say their piece, then thanked them for the info and said that I would keep an eye on their website and emails if there was anything I wanted to buy. The calls always ended amiably.

But it then started to get more and more frequent.

It all came to a head one time when this over-the-top guy tried to sell me a bundle of stuff and, each time I said "no", he put more in the bundle or knocked off more money - while constantly saying "you save £300" or whatever.

I said about three times that it didn't matter how big the savings were, I just didn't have the money to buy anything right now. I mean, I was used to waiting for the upgrades to come down to £20 to buy - spending over £100 just wasn't on. He just got louder and more ratty, refusing to understand why I didn't want to spend £100+ on software I didn't need. He kept pushing the idea that I could try them out for 30 days and even when I said "it doesn't matter if I could try them out for 60 days, I still wouldn't have the money to pay for them", he still refused to take the hint - turning the conversation around as though I was an idiot for not taking him up on this "marvellous" offer. So I just said "I don't want it" and hung up.

The next time someone called, I told her of the previous call and said I don't want anymore calls from them. She must have understood because I haven't heard from them since.

A friendly informative telephone call keeps me as a customer, but pressure selling lost me as a customer. I wish more organisations would take note.

Mattie
15-12-2010, 12:28 PM
yeah i had a call like that once , i emailed the office complaining but i got a response back saying " we have listening to the recording and found no breach of standards" so i guessed they must not have any.

I get at least 4-5 emails per week saying i can have this and that and few telephone calls i just hang up now.

JSR
15-12-2010, 12:35 PM
yeah i had a call like that once , i emailed the office complaining but i got a response back saying " we have listening to the recording and found no breach of standards" so i guessed they must not have any.

I get at least 4-5 emails per week saying i can have this and that and few telephone calls i just hang up now.
Sounds like it's only got worse, then. Glad I'm out of it.

As an alternative, I've been trying to use Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/) - it's free Desktop Publishing software that you can run off a USB stick, so you can carry it around with you. Naturally it's not full of wizards, designs, and hand-holding (it's like the GIMP of DTP) but I realised I wasn't doing anything particularly advanced to justify PagePlus anyway.