PDA

View Full Version : Metal Bookmark Problems

gadgetsboy
22-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi
Has anyone used the sublimation metal bookmarks from Homestogifts ? they recommend 190 degrees for 50 seconds at medium pressure
but everyone i do comes out fuzzy as if out of focus. I have tried the same picture to a subli tshirt and its sharp and clear so the image is OK I;ve played around with the pressure but still same results any ideas anyone

Mark

Justin
22-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Is the image moving when you press it? Do you have it securely taped in place?

Justin

gadgetsboy
22-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes I have it taped

Justin
22-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Is the paper moving when the press head is lifted? Timne and temp sounds about right. I've only ever used Xpres/NC metals which seemed ok.

Justin

Paul
22-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I never done them before but when i do some alluminium or ceramic tiles I do them at quite heavy preasure and always do them "up side down" so paper at the bottom and alluminum at the top. try do that I am sure it will help.

PAul

jennywren
22-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I always do mine upside down and I've found that to be better, I do all alluminium upside down but I use spay not tape to hold it

bms
22-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Shouldn't make a difference which way round you press. The issue of the paper lifting will give a ghost like image reproduction rather than fuzzy. Like the paper lifts when the press is opened, moves a fraction and then comes back into contact with the metal for a fraction of a second. A fuzzy picture might be contact related so make sure the press is tight. Temp and times sound right - you could increase to 200 for 60 seconds without any problems.

JSR
22-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Which paper are you using?

A high release paper that would do good subli T-Shirts may release too much ink too quickly for a hard item, and that may result in a fuzzy transfer. This is more likely to happen with a no-name paper rather than one of the more common ones.

Of course, you may just have badly-coated bookmarks.

NIGELG
03-12-2009, 12:38 AM
hi you may find your press is to hot or you pressing the metal to firmly, also metal heats quicker then fabric.

Also a little tip i use 3m re-positionable (make sure its the re-positionable spray)spray glue for paper you can but in any craft or art shop spray in the air above your paper print for a split second let the glue fall on the paper place on top of matal press then peel of............also its good if you don't line things up properly you just peel up and relay before pressing

gadgetsboy
12-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Tnx for all those suggestions guys, I'm just awaiting another batch of bookmarks to be delivered and ill give all your ideas a try afraid all the last batch have been re-cycled (gone to the bin man lol )

Paul
12-12-2009, 04:28 PM
let us know. please try heavy preasure as well.

bms
12-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Might be worth using a small amount of windolene type spray just in case there is some glue residue on the surface of the metal. This will remove this leaving a totally clean surface for printing.

03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
I have printed on these bookmarks.
I press with firm pressure 200 for 63 secs and they print well.

Benntec
11-01-2010, 02:22 AM
i had problem with there aluminium magnets, they said 190 at 50 seconds if i remember and the results were shockingly bad. i seemed to have paper residue and image was a bit blurry etc etc etc

i ended up pressing for 20secs on a light pressure 190 . Result = perfect.

ive stopped using hometogifts, there quality and service is to inconsistant.