PDA

View Full Version : transfer printing for china mugs

Whispered Spirit
16-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Guys, I really hope someone can assist here. :roll: Does anyone know where I can get a template for fluted china Mugs (BMS) I've been doing straight forward 10oz european Bms mugs up until now and a guy now wants 3 dozen china mugs. I bought them and it seems they start to curve in from just over an inch up from the bottom so not straight sided. I have tried laying my straight cut transfers on 4 of them and the transfer obviously starts to lift at the bottom. If I tape it up it then has trapped air between the transfer and the mug. (Only printed 1 as I dont want to risk a whole batch) Although the image is showing it fades considerabley towards the bottom due to lack of contack with the mug! :?: Cant make the design any smaller as its wording (A full prayer) . Anyone got any ideas as to how to get around this? Many thanks in advance.

JSR
16-12-2010, 03:20 PM
All China mugs are a little barrel-shaped from what I've found.

I tried half a dozen of the BMS ones a little bit back in the hope of replacing the ones I currently use. Unfortunately, the BMS ones are even less straight than the ones I use. I'm sure they'd be fine for a single print on each side of the mug, but not for wrap-type printing.

I currently buy my china mugs from Listawood - http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.co.uk/products.php?category=2&section=47&product=3.

They have the same kind of curve, so you won't be able to achieve top-to-bottom printing, but its far less pronounced so you may get away with it more. You may want to try them before struggling through the BMS ones.

Whispered Spirit
16-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Cheers for that. :D I've taken a few out the box to look at now and held them to a dark background. They aren't straight at all. The curve is very gradual throughout the full height below the lip. It does need to be a wrap around as the writing is quite extensive.

JSR
16-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Don't be tempted into Listawood's "Fine China" ones. They're a good budget china mug but they're about as straight as a beer barrel. Wrap printing can only be done if your print is quite short but, otherwise, forget it.

The Bone China ones are much straighter, or as straight as a china mug seems to get. I'm sure you could get a sample off them to try out.

Whispered Spirit
16-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Just been on to Bms. Sending them back tomorrow. Real nice guy to talk to and very co-operative. Bug thumbs up! :D
I will order some bone china 1s from Listawood tomorrow so thanks for the heads up on that.
I'm totally wrapped (pardon the pun) :D on The Bms European mugs as they are the straightest and technically best packaged I've used by far. Never had any real problems with them. Just typical that some guy wants china mugs. Oh well to suit all tastes isnt it! :lol:

JSR
16-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Just typical that some guy wants china mugs. Oh well to suit all tastes isnt it! :lol:
I don't do too many of them but, then, I put a high price on them because they're more awkward to do than regular 10oz mugs.

Whispered Spirit
16-12-2010, 04:21 PM
what sort of price is a high price if you dont mind me asking? This is quite new to me but I've managed to get into a place that has regular visitors and a gift shop thats totally bespoke to that organisation. I'm charging £6 a mug with a min order of 1 case. Then they put them in the shop at £9.99. Is that to low do you think? (Not that I can change now I've agreed but maybe for future ref) :lol:

JSR
16-12-2010, 04:39 PM
what sort of price is a high price if you dont mind me asking? This is quite new to me but I've managed to get into a place that has regular visitors and a gift shop thats totally bespoke to that organisation. I'm charging £6 a mug with a min order of 1 case. Then they put them in the shop at £9.99. Is that to low do you think? (Not that I can change now I've agreed but maybe for future ref) :lol:
Well, you can see my prices on my website so I don't mind you asking... ;) I do them for £9.99 for a single one. I'd probably be down to around £6 if I was to do a box load so I think you're in the right ballpark.

When you're selling to a reseller, you have to take into account that they need to make something. If you put your price up by £1, they'll put their's up by £3 (or more). They won't sell any, and neither would you.

It's best to work out a minimum price you're happy to sell them at, and then work out price breaks above that to suit the quantity you're selling. If you overprice, you don't sell; if you underprice, you'll be an unhappy worker.