PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl for car stickers/decals ...

webtrekker
16-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Can anyone give me advice on the correct type of vinyl to use for ...

Car window stickers (black or white) and inside or out
Car bodywork stickers (black or white) that are reasonably durable but can be removed without damaging the paintwork.

I've used sign vinyl before, but on a small scale, and HTV, but have never produced car stickers. (Stickers? Decals? What's the difference?).

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

StellaD
16-09-2018, 03:36 PM
(Stickers? Decals? What's the difference?).

Stickers -British ......... Decals - American Same thing but different worlds.

Vinyl depends on what you are trying to produce. A decent grade CAD/cut vinyl for solid colour text or shapes, mirror image if fitting to inside of glass.

For printed images a vehicle grade vinyl which needs to be laminated for outside use or printed onto clear in mirror image and then backed up with white for inside glass, in both cases bear in mind that glass "sounds" as though it is clear but is not in reality. It is often viewed at an angle and reflections and the glass itself will reduce vibrance making it more difficult to read.

What sort of printer would you use for printed items? It needs to be a proper sign vinyl printer, not dye sub or domestic.

Stickers will bond more aggressively to the surface over time but can be removed more easily with the aid of a heat gun or hot water from a kettle, either of which will soften the adhesive. Any remaining adhesive may need removal with a proprietary cleaner.

Tell us how you are intending to produce them and I'll see if I can recommend suitable vinyls.

webtrekker
16-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Hi StellaD. Thanks for that.

I'm not intending printing on the vinyl. Just wanted a solid black or white colour to contour cut some designs from. I've already got some MDP gloss sign vinyl in black and white but haven't tried any on a vehicle yet - https://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/ritramaoseries.asp

I realise I can reverse my image and cut vinyl for application to the inside of a car rear window but would you see where the adhesive contacted the glass when viewing from outside, or would a static-cling vinyl be best?

StellaD
16-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Never had that problem but tend to fit to the outside of the glass where possible because the colour in even supposedly clear glass together with the angle does tend to reduce visibility. It is not going to be a problem from viewing distance anyway.

Have a look at any stickers in parked cars next time you are out. Don't think visible adhesive will be a problem. Static cling is OK for windscreen prices on dealers forecourts where they will be quickly removed for test drives but usually proper stickers are applied for advertising, etc. in the back and you still have adhesive on the glass.

StellaD
16-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Oh! and black on glass is not a great idea. Stick to white or bright yellow, lime green, etc.

webtrekker
16-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Thanks again Stella. I'm probably overthinking the whole thing again, as usual, but wasn't sure whether there was a particular type of vinyl that had to be used for car sticjers other than normal sign vinyl.

Good point about using brighter colours for the glass. When my wife comes back with the car I'll have to do a few tests on some inconspicuous parts of the car paintwork and make sure I can remove them at a later date without taking the paint off!

Quinsfan
16-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Normal sign vinyl is perfectly fine for vehicles and glass.
If the stickers are to go around substantial curves or recesses then you may need to get a good cast vinyl and look at wrapping them by pre heating and post heating.
If I know you webtrekker you will be onto this in a shot looking a the difference between the monomeric/polymeric calendar vinyl and cast vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin
17-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Moving this into the 'new' vehicle section :-)

p3ngu
11-12-2019, 07:12 PM
I have used the mdp vinyl on a vehicle before and had no problem with removing the vinyl. In the past I have found is that when you remove the vinyl sticker it has been protecting the paint underneath and so you can still see where it has been. A bit of t-cut or wax should solve that though.

p3ngu
11-12-2019, 07:15 PM
If you are interested I have some cast white vinyl and lamo30 from Grafityp that I never used. feel free to email me for details at artistic2go@gmail.com

Braaaaap Graphics
15-12-2019, 07:09 AM
i use orical 651 easy cut weed and good life on paint and glass