PDA

View Full Version : Update PC

JMugs
21-12-2018, 04:13 PM
OK my PC is an early windows 7 and is getting rather old!
Thinking ahead I'll need to update. BUT I am a complete dork with computers!

So
I use Coreldraw X6, Photoshop CC, Powerdriver with Ricoh SG3100 For mugs, Zebra GK420d for Royal mail, and Epson 1500w for T's.

Before I go and explore the world of PC's and windows 10..... is there anything I need to be aware of / avoid / need as essential?

Janners

pisquee
21-12-2018, 07:55 PM
What make/model is it?
What RAM is in it?
What Hard Drive type is in it? - disk or SSD
What CPU is in it?
What graphics card is in it?
Likely you may be able to just upgrade some bits and have a better performing computer
You should also be able to upgrade to Windows 10
When was the last time you reformatted your hard disc and reinstalled Windows? - this alone can make a huge difference to performance

logobear
22-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Before you start, WHY?
Corel X6 will not work on windows 10

Is there anything really wrong with your existing PC ?

You could just get it upgraded - add some RAM and a SSD - perhaps £100 and you will have the same but better.

If you only run a single PC - concider adding a second one, - then you still have old that works as you migrate across.

Pretty much and half decent PC will run all your software, you don't even need an i processor, but for a bit of future proofing,
look for an i5
ideally 16m RAM
SSD of 128 min - 256 better, with second HDD for data
Ability to run 2 monitors

JMugs
22-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Why? Because I like to change out things before I have an issue and hit a "SHIT!" situation. Running a second PC to allow me to migrate across was also my plan, then the current one stays as the back up if problems occur.

Corel X6 not running on Windows 10.... now that was something I had wondered about, hence more cost!

Hmm my homework may have produced a machine that would have been a bit of overkill!

Janners

StellaD
22-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Corel X6 not running on Windows 10.... now that was something I had wondered about, hence more cost!
Janners

Maybe worth a bit more investigation as I have Corel X5 running happily on Windows 10.

JMugs
22-12-2018, 03:52 PM
StellaD, I have been looking at that...it appears to be a bit of pot luck, which doesn't really make sense.

Janners

logobear
22-12-2018, 05:01 PM
I have it running on 1 win 10 pc, and it won't on another.
Corel says it won't .....
I tried the hacks, - didn't make it work ....

StellaD
22-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Must have been lucky then.

We used to have Corel X5 on Win 7 but that computer failed and we were forced, reluctantly, to buy a Win 10 replacement.

Had lots of files in Corel format which we used to cut vinyl on a Graphtec via Cutting Master (couldn't get on with Illustrator at the time) and we also exported mostly as eps to drive our wide format printer via Versaworks.

Luckily, it just installed and worked and we have since also printed sub files to our Epson 1500W.

We mostly print sub stuff from either Illy or Photoshop now (having made friends with Illy) but still use Corel for vinyl cutting. Was expecting problems with Win 10 but, touch wood, it has all been surprisingly painless!