PDA

View Full Version : Which Mug Press?!

ilmf44
01-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to invest in a mug press, I have read about some of the ebay and higher end mug presses. I can see there are various different models.

Why is it a better choice to go for something like a geo knight press when there are plenty of ebay models which seem to offer a very large price difference?

Any reccomendations for models and websites too would be a great help...

Justin
02-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Biggest difference you'll find is build quality and durability. I have a cheaper Chinese machine that works perfectly well but is nowhere near as substantial as my Adkins Studio Press. Reliability is a key factor, you don't want to be replacing heat blankets every five minutes. How close they print to the handle is another, the Chinese presses don't get quite as close but still acceptable.

If you're starting out and want to dip your toe in the water then the chaper press may well be the way to go. Give this a go, and 'when' it takes off for you, upgrade to a better press.

I've had the Geo Knight press before and whilst it's described as the 'rolls royce' I didn't get on well with it. It was a refurb from a well know supplier and I think this was where the problem lay.

ilmf44
02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Justin.

I think I will stick to the cheaper one to try this one out for the moment. With the WOW mugs is the sublimation process the same? I was thinking that if you print onto them while heated this will show the image all the time?

bms
02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
The WOW mugs print exactly the same as ordinary mugs and when the mug cools then it returns back to the original colour, so you will see the image on the mug when it comes out of the press as it will be hot.

One of the better ways of investing in the equipment is to read the reviews from others on this forum or ask about a particular model. There are cheap deals on Ebay (but beware about buying cheap and buying twice). There is a supplier list on the forum so you can check out deals from these and several suppliers have startup deals that provide you with the printer, inks, mugs press, mugs, paper and heat tape so you get everything you need at a discounted price - with VAT increasing on Tuesday though you've only got a couple of days if you want to beat the VAT price rise.