PDA

View Full Version : More than 2 monitors?

Justin
04-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I've been running with 2 monitors for a while now and wonder how I managed with just 1 for so long!

Managed to get my hands on another that matches one of my existing monitors and despite looking good on the desk would be very useful to run alongside (Yep, 3!)

I don't have 2 pci-e sockets on this motherboard so was looking at upgrading. Is it a simple matter of using a mobo with 2 graphics cards installed? I like to use Asus boards if I can and they have a few with twin pci-e sockets and mention this Crosshair setup where you can run 2 for gaming etc. Not sure if this would help with general graphics work.

Anyone any experience of running multiple monitors?

bms
04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Connecting 2 monitors isn't a problem as Windows manages the desktop. Does Windows support more than 2 monitors? Would you have to use a switch box (or something similar) to run more than 1 set of dual monitors?

Justin
04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
From what I gather you can run more than 2 monitors hence the twin pci-e slots, not sure if WinXP supports or if you have to go to Win7 though.

Ian M
05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Justin, when I worked in the banks a few of us had 2 monitors on our desks & we used XP Pro. I haven't a clue how the IT guys did it but hope it helps.

Justin
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Got 2 running fine, just the third I need. Looks like a new mobo and an extra matching graphics card needed.

Ian M
05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Whoops! sorry misread the post.

JSR
11-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Couldn't you just use USB-to-VGA adapters? Or don't they work like that?

(I don't have space on my desk for more than one monitor, but I do occasionally open up the netbook to use that as well as the monitor.)

Justin
11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Need to have the screen displaying 3 different programs/images etc. so it'll have to be dual graphics cards. Not going to be just yet though ;-)

Paul Richards
07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Justin, Hope you have all your screens calibrated to the same colours and printer otherwise it will be like Jacobs Coat

Justin
07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Recently profiled both monitors. Just running with the 2 right now, DVi port on my main monitor gave out so I'm using a DVi-VGA cable to keep me going. Still keen to get 3 monitors running but intention is to upgrade later to a mobo with 2 pci express slots and run 2 seperate cards, that or run a video card with 3 outputs :-)

phoenixalpha
07-05-2011, 06:23 PM
there are a number of *cheapish* video cards with multiple ports - I have an ATI 5700 series video card with twin DVI *and* twin HDMI ports supporting up to 4 monitors. Currently I have two paired 23" widescreen monitors at the moment and couldnt even think about going back to a single monitor - running photoshop and quark and email and word at the same time is a godsend -the ability to switch easily between programs on different monitors is amazing - have email and word open at the same time for doing admin and quark and photoshop/illustrator open on the other.

on the other hand... 4 monitors I think would see me getting divorced :)

Justin
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Less than £100 for a 3/4 output card seems very good....better add one to my Xmas list!

I really felt it going back to a single monitor, makes a huge difference running 2. I'd really like a triple setup on a snazzy stand (as seen on eBay!) Nothing huge, 19" in the middle and a couple of 17" on each side :-) Maybe just buy a whopping big monitor instead!

phoenixalpha
07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
go big and you'll never go back...

4 would be good though, set up in a 2x2 formation - two is my minimum now I *really* dont think I could use a single monitor again. even when sufring the web its invaluable - atm I have the starworld excel sheet open on my righthand monitor along with ebay and I'm typing this on my front monitor, so I can see what exactly is happening and I can refer to all three without switching programs etc.

Matt Quinn
07-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I think you can run up to about 8 monitors with the standard control panel applet - Video edit systems are often built with multiple monitors as the software is timeline based... I'm sure this was supported as far back as W98!

With the arrival of HDTV the programme monitor these days is often driven from the PC - where years ago it was driven via other hardware. So twin system monitors plus a programme monitor ( effectively three, as you require) isn't unusual. I've see at least one system with triple ultra-slim-framed system monitors side-by-side to give a wide extended timeline, and the fourth configured as a 1080i programme output feeding a large wall mounted HDTV.

dj_doubler
07-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Less than £100 for a 3/4 output card seems very good....better add one to my Xmas list!

I really felt it going back to a single monitor, makes a huge difference running 2. I'd really like a triple setup on a snazzy stand (as seen on eBay!) Nothing huge, 19" in the middle and a couple of 17" on each side :-) Maybe just buy a whopping big monitor instead!

You need a monitor like mine @Justin... Samsung 46" 3D LCD does the perfect job :-)

JSR
08-05-2011, 12:24 AM
For those who can't afford 20 monitors plus graphics cards with so many ports you'd need to take out a mortgage just for the cables, the software alternative is virtual desktops using software such as this: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/virtuawin_portable (other software is available from others).

:biggrin:

phoenixalpha
08-05-2011, 10:42 AM
there are lots of cheap video card with double monitor ports and a 21"+ lcd monitor costs less than £100. Not much of an expense to increase productivity I think. Also it impresses everyone :)

JSR
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
there are lots of cheap video card with double monitor ports and a 21"+ lcd monitor costs less than £100. Not much of an expense to increase productivity I think. Also it impresses everyone :)

A bit tough to squeeze into my netbook, though... :biggrin: (Makes it a tiny bit less portable, too.)