PDA

View Full Version : Mug press problem

KAD
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Hello all, I new to the forum as well as sublimation, I have a Epson B40W printer, mac using adobe Illustrator, I can't seem to print black onto mugs, have tried a number of times and temps but still having no joy, coming out brown, the longer it's in the press the darker it gets but never black, the best I get is at 200 degrees for 340 seconds which seems too high for too long, I'm brand new to this so I'm sure it's just a school boy error! Many thanks

Justin
07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
340 seconds seems a long time, I cook for around 180 secs at 180 degrees, have you tried going that low on time? I believe the Ricoh inks need less time and can brown if overcooked, what inks are you using?

KAD
07-01-2011, 06:39 PM
The inks are from Coralgraph, I've tried a number of ways ranging from 180d & 180 secs unto 205d & 350 secs, I'm now trying harder pressures, my paper and mugs are from Xpress. I seem to get the black ok on mouse mats on my 15x15, that's at 175 for 50 secs! It may also be that the printer profiles not right as I'm on mac & the installation instructions are for windows, I've just been testing & trying the profiles that are already on Adobe, I'm guessing this is my problem, if anyone does know of these for mac, would love to hear from you, thanks again. This is the first forum I've ever joined & I can't believe how much people still actually help each other out without any benefit to themselves, Brill!

bms
07-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I think you're way too hot for too long.

Can you let us know what printer your using and what inks? Is it a Ricoh printer? If so then you need to take your temp down to around 170 and the time back to around 120-150 seconds.
You should have a colour correction profile for the inks which work with the Mac and with PhotoShop/ Corel Draw. Certainly the Ricoh SubliJetR inks and the Epson Artainium inks have full instructions for configuring the software in the Mac environment. As you mention Coralgraph - I don't think they sell a licensed sublimation ink, but rather an imported Chinese brand (although I'd be surprised if they would be allowed to continue to sell this!). Have they provided you with support for the ink?

Dave S
07-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I also press Mugs at 180 degrees for 180 seconds and have had very few problems

KAD
07-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm using an Epsom b40w and adobe illustrator, color correction profile was only given at my request but he cant supply me installion details for mac, just windows, bit stuck really, will try droping heat & time on Monday just in case it is burning but when I first tried the press at 180 for 180, the black was a very light brown.

Paul
07-01-2011, 09:00 PM
give JSR (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/member.php?29-JSR) a shout ;) he will supply you with the profile! he use this same printer so you should be alright!

KAD
07-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up Paul, hopefully be printing black by Monday lunch time...

bms
07-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm using an Epsom b40w and adobe illustrator

In that case then it's not the same situation as the Ricoh printers. The blacks only go brown with the Ricoh printers when you're too hot for too long. This isn't the same with the Epson printers and the Sawgrass Artainium/Rotech/SubliJet inks.