PDA

View Full Version : Mug colours blurring and browning.

Shipz
12-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I have a single mug press which i got from Xpres. I am using their mugs and paper and the Ricoh GX7000.

I am pressing the mugs at 180degrees for 180 secs.

The problem appears to be at the bottom of the mug. The colours especially the darker ones are either blurring or going a brown colour or sometimes not showing at all. The pressure is farly high. I did a few mugs when i first had the press and they appeared fine but recently I have wasted more than i would like with this problem. The only way i have found to reduce the problem slightly is to make the image not overhang the bottom of the mug.

However I would like to offer full height prints and any help you can give would be much appreciated.

I have added a few pics. Sorry some are a bit blurry.

Thanks
Dave.

busybusybee
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
In my limited knowledge that look's like the press hgasn't got roud the curve right, you could try upping the pressure a bit??

bms
12-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Looking at the picture this may be due to a slight curve in the mug at the base. Does your mug press have a sponge like heat blanket? If so you can increase the pressure and it will bend around the base of the mug to get into the curve.

Andrew
12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Yep, purely down to the curve right on the base of the mug. Dark colours will always show up worse. For a start I would l lift your artwork 1 or 2 mm off the bottom as no will notice a gap like that when the mug is sat on a table. That would still be seen as full top to bottom. Increase the pressure a bit on the mug press so that the padded heat element then takes up a bit more of the curve. If you still have problems then you can always redo the base for 30 seconds in the press with just about the last 1 inch of the mug sticking in there and the rest out.

This is a reason why many leave a 5mm gap both top and bottom.

Shipz
14-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your responses.

The mug press does have a foam type insert on it.

I will follow your suggestions and hopefully that will reduce the number of items i put into my cupboard of shame. There are a few in there now. A bit new at this as you may have guessed.

Thanks