PDA

View Full Version : New PC but what?

JMugs
26-10-2019, 11:29 AM
I have no idea with actual computers. So here is my call for advice.
I looked into this a year ago, but got sidetracked!

My IBM ThinkPad T60 is struggling with Coreldraw and Photoshop when working on shower curtains at 6 foot by 6 foot and 300 dpi. I export as a png to my client (that is their requirements). It manages but the process is slow especially if I have both programs on the go combining elements. I guess I need something newer and with more power, but I don't need gaming power or anything like that. This computer would be solely for designing and emailing to client.
All pointers and examples welcome. Just one thing...not a "Mac".

It would be nice to not have to break the bank!

Cheers Janners.

JMugs
26-10-2019, 11:38 AM
I did get as far as 8GB Ram and an I3 or better processor. I don't need "Awe Inspiring Sound" or "Multi Colour Flashing Case", etc.

Janners

webtrekker
26-10-2019, 12:09 PM
I'm currently using a Win7, Intel i5, with 8Gb RAM (2Tb HDD but no SSD) and (touch wood!) everything works swimmingly. I use Photoshop CC2019 extensively, with many documents open at once, along with other intensive stuff such as 3D modellers and raytracers, sometimes all operating at once! Bought refurbished from ebay a couple of years ago for around £150.

JMugs
26-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Webtrekker, that's the idea! That fits in with what I had in mind then. Nice to know I am in the right ball park.

Janners.

Justin
26-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Putting an ssd into an older machine can give it a new leash of life, I've done this a few times including a cheap laptop and it really helps.

Sometimes I feel they work so quickly they make the pc forget it's low specs before they have a chance to catch up!

GoonerGary
28-10-2019, 12:12 PM
I have 256GB SSD drive for the Windows and Photoshop CC 2017 installation only. Another 256GB SSD for Photoshop's scratch disc. Then standard disc drives for files. 16GB of RAM. £125 on motherboard and video card. Runs smoothly. Built by these guys...

https://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/

Baldy
28-10-2019, 01:22 PM
All my laptops over the years have been refurbs from Aria. Cheaper than new but with still with 12 month warranty:+)
And as pointed out already, a SSD drive for the operating system makes a big difference.
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Refurb

(https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Refurb)

JMugs
29-10-2019, 07:27 AM
Thanks all, plenty there to get my teeth into.

Janners

pisquee
30-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Def have 2nd SSD for Photoshop Scratch Disk, Adobe Bridge Cache, Windows Swap File, and your print queues
Put windows and programs on the 1st
We also keep all our actual files on a 4 bay RAID NAS, so if the computer goes down, the files are safe, and easily accessed across the network (5 computers sharing it)

We recently bought an old Dell server (T5500) for £75 and have put in 96 GB of RAM which cost about £100. If we add a riser card, it will also take another 48 GB of RAM, and a 2nd CPU

This is now our main Photoshop computer, and is a delight to use!

I think our 2nd Photoshop machine has 16 or 28GB of RAM, can't remember.

Basically you wants lots of RAM and definitely SSD drives. You say you don't want a gaming machine, but the high end graphics cards used by gamers will be useful for some photoshop work, as the extra video RAM and processor that's needed for games, Photoshop will use to speed to some operations.

webtrekker
30-10-2019, 11:52 AM
All good suggestions, but, as the OP said ...

It would be nice to not have to break the bank!

So all of this talk about SSD's, huge amounts of RAM, high-spec graphics cards etc, although perfectly correct, probably WILL break the bank (I know it would break mine anyway! :biggrin: ).

pisquee
30-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Ours didn't break the bank - old Dell server for £75 and over time spent around £100 adding RAM upto its max of 96GB - we didn't need to add that much, but patiently got it from Ebay when we could find sticks at the right price.
Old but perfectly capable graphics cards can be had used for relatively small amounts of money (£20-50)

logobear
30-10-2019, 09:14 PM
I would look for a second hand i5 or i7 tower pc
at least 8m ram, ideally 16
SSD definitely, and twin monitors
for graphics you don't need lots of grunt, but you do want it to be zippy