PDA

View Full Version : backing

jennywren
16-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Could anyone recommend a backing quite stiff to put on the back of felt after its been embroidery on. And where it can be purchased from.

draig
17-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Try gs-uk.com they do a badge backing in white or black.
Tel: 0115 844 8000
web: www.gs-uk.com
www.gs-ukdirect.com

Think the second address is more for the hobbyist though.

Sharon

djhutton
17-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Try ETC (I think they post on here Sally Ann?)
I have been using a heat applied plastic film from them which makes it nice and stiff, it's meant for subsequently ironing the badge (from the back) onto shirts, but works well as a finisher/stiffener. They also have several grades of iron on black and white stiffener, but that's really for putting on before embroidery as you'll need to overlock it if putting on after, depends which way you are doing it really.

If I'm making badges (other than using presupplied blanks) from assorted fabrics then I press on a stiff black backing, embroider and edge at the same time, cut out and then apply the press on film. A little bit long winded but you can then do any shape (as intricate as your cutting skills :) and get a decent finished badge.

Hope this helps

DJ

jennywren
17-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Is the stiffer suitable for putting on jackets, they want to use them as blazer badge. So I should image that they want to sew them on, so I need a nice finish at the back Thank you both for the replies.

djhutton
18-01-2011, 10:14 AM
If its a felt based blazer badge I'd have thought that would be fine. You'd have to try a couple of samples to see which order to do it in. You can either do the embroidery, press on, cut out and overlock, or if you are not overlocking, press on first, embroider then cut out. The finish on the back probably doesn't matter too much as it's not going to be seen.

On a felt blazer badge I generally leave a small border (say 3mm) around for sewing it onto the jacket, that's how the 'commercially available' felt badges are finished, ratther than overlocked. Probably as the felt won't fray like badge twill.

DJ

jennywren
18-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Many thanks for that, I'll have a try, I always find that I have to do it two or three times to see how it works would your recommend overlocking or can I get away it .

djhutton
19-01-2011, 12:31 PM
If its a felt blazer badge then I wouldn't bother overlocking as it isn't going to fray, just leave a border, if its badge twill then yes (or easier still, do a 3mm or so zigzag edge and cut round that carefully)

DJ