PDA

View Full Version : Epson D120 issues - I have two of them, each with different issues!

barryslip
20-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Hello all...

I had posted this on the "old" forum, but I can't find it on the “new” forum (it's title was something like "D120 suddenly grainy images" (or something like that - if anyone can find it!). In a nutshell here are my issues….

I bought a D120 from eBay last summer. All was working perfectly for a few months (using Rotech Ink and the correct ICC profile – v1.1 and printing from Photoshop CS4) until it suddenly started producing very dark and grainy images (see attached "good photo" and "bad photo"). I downloaded a new profile (v2.5) which improved things, but still not good colour re-production so I am having to do things manually – altering the Hue, Saturation, Colour and Brightness then printing without the profile in an attempt to guess how the final printed item would turn out. This is very tricky and a lot of hit-and-miss! So I decided to get a new D120 (another used one from eBay). This new one is producing very good colour re-production with V1.1 of the profile, however it’s not producing very good quality photos. I’ve set the printer up to print in "Photo" and “Best Photo” modes but it’s still quite a grainy image.

I’ve got to the point of throwing in the towel unless I can find a) a solution to the D120 problems or b) a more reliable printer!

I've read about the Epson S21 and using it with the D88 profile, so any advice on that would be gratefully received.

A lot of my sales are A4 jigsaws using customers photos, so full page printing without the need for constant nozzle checks is preferred!

I've chatted online to Epson, but they were not very helpful once they knew I wasn't using Epson inks or paper...

Cheers
Barry

bms
20-01-2011, 07:50 PM
What paper are you printing onto? Do you get a perfect nozzle check pattern before you print as one of the attachments looks like a colour isn't working through the printer. If you don't get a perfect nozzle check pattern after a few cleans then have you tried putting in the genuine cartridges to rule out the printer as a problem? There may be a problem with the cartridges in the Easyflow system - so if the printer works fine with genuine carts and not with the sublimation ink system then you could try replacing the cartridge and tube assembly with a new one (contact your original supplier).

Bluesnews
21-01-2011, 02:10 PM
that sounds like a paper issue. my son Jon had a paper issue a few months back. We tried everything to find out what it was and we could not pinpoint it and also blamed the printer. we have a d120. because we have been buying the same paper for a year we did not suspect it as the paper (too be honest didn't even think of it) after almost giving up and running out of about 30 pieces of paper we refilled and the problem was fixed in an instant because Jon had some old paper left from same supplier. we gave the guy a ring who was oblivious to the problem. He informed us that the mill he got his paper from had changed the spec and not told him, luckily he was able to ship the paper back to the mill and told us he'd not buy it again. it was 130g paper, the originalpaper he had was totally superb. paper we have now is 135g. not as good. I am also looking for some paper but at £19.95 a pop from xpres its not going to happen. i know a lot of you are businesses, my son and nephew do it as a hobby. i reckon it costs me about £1000 to £2000 a year. so finding cheap realiable and reasonable suppliers is very important to me. Thats why i try to always use Martiin at BMS. nothing is too much trouble for this guy, he's a god send

Bluesnews
21-01-2011, 02:15 PM
also i notice from the pics the colour has changed, are you sure your print profile for sub ink is still in your printer settings. This also happened to me after we printed something in black and white, the profile reverted to normal print and not the profile we had originally set.

i'm probably rambling, i'm no expert, but after setting up my son Jon i feel i know a little.

he's an idea... try setting up your printer with the profile from scratch, we did that once and it cured all our issues

worth a shot