PDA

View Full Version : Is the Epson S21 any good for sublimation printing???

barryslip
20-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Hello all

I've recently posted regarding my issues with 2 Epson D120s - see link below... and am thinking of getting a new printer with little cost as possible...

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?1703

I've read some comments regarding the S21 and it seems that it is a nice cheap printer and produces good results but I will need to use the D88 profile. I have Rotech ink, Photoshop CS4 and a laptop running Windows Vista.

A lot of my printing is for A4 jigsaws of customers photos, so I'm looking at a high quality photo from the printer.

So my questions..... Is anyone using the S21? What ink are you using? What profile are you using?

Many thanks in advance
Barry

smitch6
20-01-2011, 06:27 PM
i can't comment on the profile
but i have the s21 and i will say its the most nosiest printer i have ever heard in my life lol

failing that it prints a good quality image
the ciss always seems to play up though, it is always reading ink empty after 1/2 dozen sheets have been printed

but hey it is cheap :)

bms
20-01-2011, 06:48 PM
You'll find posts on here at both ends of the debate on the printer. Some are happy with the quality/ colours and others have tried it, got the t-shirt and thrown it away. You pay your money and you take your chances! The S21 isn't supported by Sawgrass so there's no profile dedicated to it whether you try Artainium or Rotech ink. If your willing to give it a go and prepared to go into this with your eyes open then you may as well give it a go, but only invest as much money as you would be prepared to throw away.

Justin
20-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I have an S21 here that I run with refil. carts. Agree with above statement, noisiest printer I've ever heard. Build quality is very basic but it does provide a very decent print for such a cheap printer. Don't expect and frills bells or whistles though ;-) I use the D88 profile at the moment.

As I've said before though, my weapon of choice for A4 would be the P50, far better build quality and a better print but it is a 6 colour printer.

Ian M
20-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I might start selling ear plugs..........lol

Kaz
20-01-2011, 10:02 PM
You going to sub dye them Ian, lol

Ian M
21-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Kaz, you just never know with me.........lol.........I do know a way where you can personilse them, wonder if Epson might be interested.

barryslip
27-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi all

Well, I took the plunge and picked up an S21 from Argos for £34! They've stopped selling this ans now sell the S22 which looks pretty similar and is £40.

So far so good - I'm using the D88 profile with Rotech inks and the results are pretty good. For a couple of photos I've had to select "Best Photo" mode as the original image was quite grainy but all-in-all I'm happy with it. I'm using the £25 CISS from LoveCut which also seems to be working fine too.

Thanks to everyone for the useful comments.

Barry

smitch6
27-01-2011, 11:10 AM
yes i use the S21 and the ciss from lovecut as it came together

i don't use a profile though and have only had 1 problem so far but that was the photo itself that was the problem
i ended up printing it in B+W rather than colour and it came out ok

i actually spoke to a photographer about it and he advised me to do B+W

bikertec
06-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Only problem I had with my S21 was photos which I avoided like the plague if I could.

barryslip
17-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Only problem I had with my S21 was photos which I avoided like the plague if I could.

Interesting comment about photos Bikertec! What were the issues you were finding with them? I've a couple of photos which are coming out too dark or too bluey/greeny when put onto mouse mats or jigsaws. For graphics, I can't fault it at all.

Barry

bikertec
17-02-2011, 09:24 PM
It was the mugs that were coming out in all shades of wierd colors, just didn't look right. TBH I bought a B1100 out of desperation which ended up being the same. It wasn't until Paul sorted a profile for me It finally got it right. Mine was due to the inks I used Lyson inks.

barryslip
17-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks. I guess you are all sorted now? I'll PM Paul to see if he can help. Cheers.

smitch6
17-02-2011, 10:56 PM
i had an S21 and had probs so bought the B1100 also and still had the same probs
actually it was worse
my problem turned out to be the ink also
swapped it for some that was recommended by a trusted member on here and hey presto all sorted perfect prints everytime now

bikertec
20-02-2011, 03:56 PM
i had an S21 and had probs so bought the B1100 also and still had the same probs
actually it was worse
my problem turned out to be the ink also
swapped it for some that was recommended by a trusted member on here and hey presto all sorted perfect prints everytime nowI don't know about a learning curve more like a learning sphere just keep going around and around. ;)

DREAMGLASS
20-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Whilst it won't solve problems with specific printers or profiles, I always add text to my descriptions for subli items stating actual colours may vary due to different monitor manufacturers. At least customers have some guidance to keep them pacified then.

bikertec
20-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Errrr is that telling little porkies.

DREAMGLASS
21-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Actually no its not :-) The only monitor that gives a reasonable representation of colour is one that has been calibrated for professional use.

I can take a printed colour swatch to the screen on my main tower, match it up then take it to my laptop, my partners laptop and my other tower and the colour is different on all four screens.

Pointing out that colours may vary from what is displayed on the screen, is generally far better than being forced to accept a return from customers that don't understand that their cheap LCD monitor from Argos doesn't represent the colours of the real world that accurately.