PDA

View Full Version : Help for a newbie switching to sublimation

roj62
21-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi All

We've been producing printed garments etc for a few years using The Magic Touch's method using an inkjet printer and their paper range on their heat press, its worked really well for us.

We decided to add sublimation printing to what we do as we were interested in an inexpensive way of producing caps, plates and mugs. We found a system on Ebay sold by Coralgraph that had an 8 in 1 heat press with attachements, we then bought a decent inkjet printer, CISS ink system and sublimation paper.

To get us started we also bought from them a box of mugs and some money boxes.

Everything came the other day so we decided to do some test runs, we printed out some simple flat colour images and attempted to print a mug following the instructions (translated from chinese) after a few attempts nothing was transferring onto the mug - we tried again today and still nothing. The instructions say 180 degrees for 5 minutes which we have tried, also trying a fresh mug in case maybe our early attempts had somehow rendered it unprintable.

I've spoken to Coralgraph people who just fob me off with the manufacturers who are so far not answering emails.

It feels like there is a fundamental thing we've not done but I cant see it and with the lack of clear instructions its not obvious.

Have we missed something?

roj62
21-01-2011, 08:56 PM
sorry meant to say Laser Printer not Inkjet on the Magic Touch system

Justin
21-01-2011, 09:00 PM
That really doesn't sound like Coralgraph, they're members here so hopefully will respond to this thread. 5 minutes for a mug sounds a little excessive, 3 mins usually is the average. Is the mug blanket getting hot? Are the inks definitely dye sub?

THE METAL MAN
21-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Might sound daft but have you got sublimation ink

accdave
21-01-2011, 09:21 PM
What printer is it ? Which inks are they. Are you certain you are printing on the right side of the paper ?

Paul
21-01-2011, 09:31 PM
i put fiver on that it's not subli ink! ;)

Kaz
21-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Or sub paper

accdave
21-01-2011, 09:36 PM
i put fiver on that it's not subli ink! ;)

A real one or one of those you post on here :)

bms
21-01-2011, 09:39 PM
That really doesn't sound like Coralgraph, they're members here so hopefully will respond to this thread. 5 minutes for a mug sounds a little excessive, 3 mins usually is the average. Is the mug blanket getting hot? Are the inks definitely dye sub?

Do Coral Graph sell sublimation ink (anymore?). It doesn't appear on their site now.

Seems strange that a company that supposedly supplies into the sublimation trade is unable to tell a customer how to print a mug! Whilst they are a member on here, does anyone know much about the company? I see they've been a member for 3 weeks and made 1 post and are classified as a junior member, not supplier (under their username of Coralgraph):confused:

Paul
21-01-2011, 09:40 PM

real one mate :) will donate it to dsf account if it is subli ink :)

Or sub paper
i think is not much about paper. I am sure subli ink would transfer even when used normal copying/ink jet printing paper :)

Ian M
21-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Most probably the one he posted on here last week..........lol.

Paul
21-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Do Coral Graph sell sublimation ink (anymore?). It doesn't appear on their site now.

Seems strange that a company that supposedly supplies into the sublimation trade is unable to tell a customer how to print a mug! Whilst they are a member on here, does anyone know much about the company? I see they've been a member for 3 weeks and made 1 post and are classified as a junior member, not supplier (under their username of Coralgraph):confused:
all i know is every time I order from them got fantastic customer service and quick delivery.

Justin
21-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Second that, bought a few things from them now, first class service and support which I why I was so surprised to hear the above.

bms
21-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Second that, bought a few things from them now, first class service and support which I why I was so surprised to hear the above.

Let's hope they can resolve this issue then, but it sounds strange.

Kaz
21-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Maybe you got the office junior who was having a bad day to get that kind of response?

Paul
21-01-2011, 09:54 PM
we have a member who bought ciss system with ink from lovecut and had this same problem. nothing transfered on the mug. he find out that he bought normal ink :D

some people look for cheap stuff so they buying without reading...

roj62
21-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses - everything I bought (with the exception of the Epson printer they recommended) came from them I can post links to them all on Ebay if thats allowed.

The paper is supposed to be sublimation paper for mugs, the inks are sublimation inks all pre loaded into 5 tanks and connected to the new printer via tubes, the mugs also came from them and of course the press.

If it was a feint image then i'd think we were getting somewhere but so far all its transferred was a bit of gunge that had got one to one test sheet of paper, I thought that maybe my early attempts on the first mug had somehow destroyed the mug coating or maybe the same with the paper maybe sealing the ink onto the paper so we tried it today with clean paper and a fresh mug, nothing!

Here is what we bought:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220722470507&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370453673669&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_5234wt_991

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370444583878&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4099wt_991

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220721527193&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3876wt_989

Paul
21-01-2011, 10:00 PM
no subli ink :)

whatever time and temp you try it wont transfer mate. you need sublimation ink.

roj62
21-01-2011, 10:01 PM
you know after looking again it may be that they have sold me normal ink but what is frustrating is I had an email conversation with them and they sent me the link to this product so I just assumed it was correct - i've been at them a few times and asked these questions and no one has said it was not sublimation ink id bought, why have so many of these CISS systems on their site if they are not compatible with just about everything else they sell

Justin
21-01-2011, 10:02 PM
...and there lies your answer, the CIS is filled with normal ink not sublimation....makes sense now.

Paul
21-01-2011, 10:03 PM
why have so many of these CISS systems on their site if they are not compatible with just about everything else they sell

becouse they ink company. they sell cheap refils like cityink express and similar company.

you know after looking again it may be that they have sold me normal ink
they did not sold it to you. you clicked it on buy it now :) sorry for the harsh answer but this is true... :(

I dont hink they treat you on that one mate :) subli ink cost about £80 so there would be more earnings for them ;)

Paul
21-01-2011, 10:25 PM
sorry guys! just by mistake closed this tread. is now reopen so you can carry on :)

bms
21-01-2011, 10:27 PM
you know after looking again it may be that they have sold me normal ink but what is frustrating is I had an email conversation with them and they sent me the link to this product so I just assumed it was correct - i've been at them a few times and asked these questions and no one has said it was not sublimation ink id bought, why have so many of these CISS systems on their site if they are not compatible with just about everything else they sell

Do they sell sublimation ink? I can't see it on their site anymore:confused:

roj62
21-01-2011, 10:38 PM
phew - I thought you were doing a 'case closed now sod off' sort of thing on me :smile:

I take your point about the fact that they didn't sell it to me i clicked on the link and bought it - yep get all the 'Caveat Emptor' bit - we are retailers too and we know how frustrating it is when people buy the wrong thing then blame you for it somehow.

The problem was that I was having a back and forward email conversation with what appeared to be one person and asked them about the press and the ink and the paper and a compatible printer to use, I mentioned the printer model I was going to buy and they sent me the link to the ink system, I naturally assumed knowing naff all about sublimation ink that this must be the right thing, why else send me link to it.

lesson learned there - hate the CISS system anyway and it makes our desk look like something from Alien.

So final question then, anyone know where I can get refillable cartridges for an Epson PX650 and some bottles of SUBLIMATION ink?

bms
21-01-2011, 10:48 PM
So final question then, anyone know where I can get refillable cartridges for an Epson PX650 and some bottles of SUBLIMATION ink?

I wouldn't recommend spending money on sublimation ink for this printer as it's not a supported printer. You will need profiles to get the colours right and there are no profiles for that printer.

The only printers that are officially supported for sublimation printing are the Ricoh GXe3300, Epson B40W, Epson B1100, Epson 1400 or Ricoh GX7000. If you're new to sublimation and don't need bigger than A4 then you should look at the GXe3300 - easy to set up and use, comes with PowerDriver software for colour management and from the sublimation suppliers it will come with a full set of SubliJetR ink cartridges.

Justin
21-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Coralgraph have been invited to reply to this post and have indicated that they will do so.

Paul
21-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I mentioned the printer model I was going to buy and they sent me the link to the ink system, I naturally assumed knowing naff all about sublimation ink that this must be the right thing, why else send me link to it.

because as Martin said. this is not suported printer and they propobly never thought you want to use it as sublimation printer.

Also when you talk about heat press maybe they was thinking that you want to use it for transfers??? I dont realy know. lets wait for henrys post.

roj62
21-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys - so ill do a bit of digging and see if i can find someone that sells the Ricoh with the proper inks. anyone know if this works on mac though as were pretty much all on mac os apart from a few old pc's

Paul
21-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I dont know much about ricoh but I think they called gel printers. coz they use gel instad of ink??? don know... but i know that you can not refill the carts...

accdave
21-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys - so ill do a bit of digging and see if i can find someone that sells the Ricoh with the proper inks. anyone know if this works on mac though as were pretty much all on mac os apart from a few old pc's

The one who told you about the Ricoh is probably the first place to dig :)

Coralgraph
22-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Hello Guys,sorry for the late reply ,just informed regarding this thread .Contacted roj62 and we will rectify this problem shortly.Regarding the sublimation ink we will sell them on our site and ebay once we finished the work on the site .We are working on the website this week adding new products every day .

bms
22-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Our offering of the Ricoh GXe3300 with SubliJetR inks is at the following link:
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/489/ricoh-sublimation-printers.htm

You won't be able to use PowerDriver on the Mac so you will need to install the ICC profile for colour management into PhotoShop/ PhotoShop Elements or Corel Draw ( you will need one of these graphic packages with the Mac regardless of whether you use Epson or Ricoh).

bms
22-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Regarding the sublimation ink we will sell them on our site and ebay once we finished the work on the site

Just a friendly word from the wise:smile:. In the UK only authorised suppliers are permitted to sell sublimation ink into the small format market which is controlled by Sawgrass. These brands of ink include Artainium, Rotech, SubliJetR and SubliJetIQ. Any other brand of sublimation ink cannot be sold in the UK without risking the wrath of Sawgrass and very expensive legal action.

There are a number of suppliers listed on this Forum but the official list of suppliers of such inks can be found from the Sawgrass website at http://www.sawgrasseurope.com by clicking on Find a Dealer.