PDA

View Full Version : Printers capable of printing on card

barryslip
22-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi all

Not really a sublimation printer question, but I've been asked to make some personalised wedding invitations. The easiest way I can think of is to find a printer which can print on card or very thick paper (otherwise the option would be to print onto photo paper and stick onto the card). I've got a couple of Epson printers for every day use (SX200 and S21) but they refuse to feed the card in.

Any advice/experience greatly received...

Thanks in advance
Barry

JSR
22-01-2011, 02:54 PM
It'll probably depend on how thick your card is, how many you're going to print, and how much you're prepared to spend.

Most printers (including the Epsons) have a "thick media and envelope" setting hidden away in the printer drive which lowers the paper support to allow card through them. Sometimes you can feed thick paper/card (up to 320gsm - not usually recommended in the specs) through a regular printer, but the printer won't like it and you could end up damaging the paper feed system.

However, if you're into printing very thick media, printers such as the Epson R2400-R3000 (R3000 is the current one, I think), have a special straight-through media path capable of printing on board up to 1.3mm thick. They're not cheap, though, but they are especially designed for very thick media.

smitch6
22-01-2011, 04:59 PM
i've printed card in most of my printers with no problems
even laser ones :)