PDA

View Full Version : wall transfers

smitch6
24-01-2011, 11:40 PM
i've just been asked if i can make some wall transfers
that stick on the wall :confused:

this type of thing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAPPINESS-IS-BATHROOM-WALL-STICKER-ART-DECALS-QUOTE-/350341308666?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Wallpaper&var=&hash=item905b016f81#ht_1981wt_1113
but it would want to be Christian verses etc as we are a Christian site :)

Justin
24-01-2011, 11:44 PM
So are you wanting to know what type of vinyl is best for this?

smitch6
24-01-2011, 11:47 PM
is it done using vinyl? lol

all i know is its sticky and sticks to the wall and you peel the backing paper off lol

Stitch Up
25-01-2011, 12:18 AM
all i know is its sticky and sticks to the wall and you peel the backing paper off lol

If only life was that simple!!! There are hundreds of different types and brands of vinyls each designed for different purposes, there's even one designed for wall mounting.

You're moving into the realm of sign making and this has a forum all of its own http://www.uksignboards.com/ Be aware, this forum is for the pros as well as the beginners and is strictly moderated.

smitch6
25-01-2011, 08:11 AM
it sounds hard lol

mrs maggot
25-01-2011, 08:39 AM
with a new business, sometimes the temptation is there to say "YES" to everything, and then turn your self in knots trying to do it. Its always better to stick to what you are starting with, sub-out any business you cannot do - or simply say "NO at the moment we are not doing those but they are great arn't they - we put similar slogans onto mousemats, plaques you know" and turn the business back to what you do

smitch6
25-01-2011, 09:26 AM
yes i haven't said yes or no
i said i would find out some info about them

but ready the replies i won't be going down that route just yet lol

i'll have to see if i can find someone who does them

Andrew
25-01-2011, 10:05 AM
We have used exterior sign vinyl on various different surfaces...... cupboards, metal doors, glass, painted walls etc. Non-porous I would have thought to be essential and very clean surface. Don't clean with anything that leaves a residue i.e. polish. This is basically what we have done but we are far from experienced. UKSignboards does have the info but can't say I find them a friendly bunch over there.

You could always trial a piece of exterior vinyl on the wall in question, all depends on how well you know the people the job is for and explain to them you are testing it out.

Having said all of that......... have you got a vinyl cutter?

smitch6
25-01-2011, 10:33 AM
nope i haven't got a cutter lol

that is something i am looking into but not 100% sure yet as to wether the cost is worth the profit etc.

i've only just started doing sub work so business is really slow
altho i did sell 3 mugs last night :D

just emailed the proofs to the ppl

as for trilling it i'm in norfolk and the person who enquired is in inverness so not really an option lol

chongsta
25-02-2011, 08:35 PM
You're moving into the realm of sign making and this has a forum all of its own http://www.uksignboards.com/ Be aware, this forum is for the pros as well as the beginners and is strictly moderated.

yeh beware the wrath of Rob, the owner!

The board is full of advice (from the right people) but the main stuff is locked away to paying members in the Gold section. Some members will happily 'roll' their eyes at you for asking n00bie questions, unlike here who are only to happy to help.

I once made a very polite request to ask how much my printer was still worth, it was removed within 2 minutes because "you cant ask questions like that!" ... on a sign/print forum!!!

I dont visit anymore

chongsta
25-02-2011, 08:36 PM
lol..btw...

whats the name of the vinyl especially for wall coverings? I do them but i use normal printable or coloured vinyl. It works fine but if there's proper stuff out there...any idea the name?

cheers
D.

Justin
25-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I dont visit anymore

I'm quite happy to start a sign section here. My initial intention was to keep the DSF just for Dye Sub related issues but it quickly became apparant that we needed to branch out into associated areas so sign making etc. would seem to be a fair addition. Interested to hear who currently does sign work or has an interest.

BTW....I was removed/banned, call it what you will, from 'that' site as I failed to complete personal information. I was told that I had to enter in my full name, home address, telephone number and so on. I didn't think this was fair as there is no need to retain such personal information....unless you have other ideas on its use? I was a regular contributor but it really is moderated with a rod of iron, as others will testify!

Stitch Up
25-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm a paying member of UKSB & I have to say, it's been more than worthwhile. Not only have I picked up business from the members (easily covering membership costs) I've learned an enormous amount.

When you first join that forum, it is a bit like a 'ritual' - make a mistake and you get a warning, make another and get bashed any more and you're banned!!! Pass the initiation and you're made to feel welcome.

Justin
25-02-2011, 09:06 PM
When you first join that forum, it is a bit like a 'ritual' - make a mistake and you get a warning, make another and get bashed any more and you're banned!!! Pass the initiation and you're made to feel welcome.

What a friendly way to gain and retain new members, I'm glad I no longer visit. I have no desire personally for such power trips....but I do have the relavant buttons! :wink:

chongsta
25-02-2011, 09:07 PM
yes indeed...a rod of iron is a good description.

Shame really coz there's some good people there but everyone's under the wrath of the owner. I found a decent enough thread was quickly hijacked!

I'll help as much as i can with signs, ive done a few, small scale but none the less - signs.

DREAMGLASS
25-02-2011, 09:34 PM
The board is full of advice (from the right people) but the main stuff is locked away to paying members in the Gold section.
I won't join closed forums like that, as I like to know what a site offers. One of my other ventures has several open forums and one closed forum which is a paid forum, that won't let you take a peek, refuses to divulge how many members it has, or what sections lie within.

smitch6
25-02-2011, 09:36 PM
thats no good for me then is it lol
i'm always asking stupid questions lol :~

i figure we all started at the beginning and without the help of others we'll never get better

smitch6
25-02-2011, 09:37 PM
maybe change the embroidery section to the sign bit Justin ;)

jennywren
25-02-2011, 10:13 PM
i think that's a good idea , not enough members with the experience to help, although we do embroidery I have no idea how to convey that to paper to be any help to any one, if anything I need help but instead I go online and read and keep reading till I make sense of it..

John G
25-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I produce signs and vehicle livery - and am also a member of the UKSB, found it a fantastic well moderated site. Fantastic depth of knowledge on the site and I've learned loads over the years - if you're just doing signs, cash in hand, or for beer money, you won't get far on the site though!

They are all professionals, most run their own companies, and, as they should, they guard their knowledge and their trade well.

chongsta
25-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I agree that there's a huge wealth of info there and the majority of members are very helpful indeed. I did have some questions there that i felt were for the 'accomplished' members but when your thread gets replies like - check the Gold Section, it kinda deflates you. Im sure the gold section is just that: gold. but for me the atmosphere was all wrong. i actually thought twice about making some threads for fear of it getting removed or useless replies. I also PM'd the owner on several occasions to see what I was doing wrong but never got replies and from reading some threads there, it seems a few other members got a little peeved too. Ive not been there for a while so maybe things have changed, i'm not bashing the place, just giving my account of my time there, which wasnt very nice.

Oh well...lets move on...;)

chongsta
25-02-2011, 11:07 PM
lol...!

Just realised that ive hijacked this thread....oh the irony of it all :)

DREAMGLASS
26-02-2011, 09:43 AM
The main problem with selling wall decals or ANY user applied vinyl product, is that you will always get the inevitable buyer that doesn't bother to read the directions, then blames the seller for providing an inferior product.

I did consider offering custom car decals a couple of years ago, but reading a lot of feedback comments that sellers had on eBay, you just knew folks had tried to apply their products to unwashed cars, or in force ten gales. I am guessing you would also encounter similar problems with folks trying to apply wall decals to woodchip or other embossed papers or onto powdery painted surfaces?

With mugs and tees etc customers can just use the product 'out of the box' but with any type of customer applied product, you are dependant on that customer having some common sense about surface preparation, planning and application.