View Full Version : full mug wrap bleeding

smitch6
27-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I just done my 1st full mug wrap today
i made the image slightly oversized so it filled the mug completely

trouble was the ink bled onto the top and inside of the mug slightly

it really spoils the look as its a lovely image as well

any ideas how to stop this
or is it just having to trim the image right back so it doesn't overlap the mug?

Andrew
27-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, the easiest way is just having the paper cut to the exact size of the image that you want to appear....... or print to the exact size. If your mug is 90 high then print/cut the image 88 or 89. This allows for the curve of the top of the mug and will leave a crisp line right around the top. Trial and error really.

Good luck,

Andrew

smitch6
27-01-2011, 12:14 PM
thanks for that
i just did another one and the top came out brill like that
but........ haha always a but isn't there

annoyingly the bottom didn't quite take so i've just had a mug on the heater for 5 mins to warm it's bum
it's in the press now as i'm typing so hopefully this one will come out ok 3rd time lucky (altho i don't believe in luck)

smitch6
27-01-2011, 12:18 PM
well after the bottom of the mug was warm it still didn't take very well at the very bottom
looks better than the other one

so maybe i need to really heat the bottom up before i do it

Andrew
27-01-2011, 12:42 PM
The bottoms are a whole different problem. If you run a straight edge along the mug you will probably see that the bottom tapers in from about 6/7mm off the base. Some mugs are worse than others. Many people keep the print off the bottom as this taper can create a flaming effect where the heat element doesn't make decent contact due to the taper. If it is just 1 or 2 mugs you are doing and this is an issue, you could just insert the bottom of the mug back into the press after the initial print to allow more pressure and heat to be put into the base.

Again, trial and error as with most things in sublimation. What works for one person might not always be the answer for another.

smitch6
27-01-2011, 01:00 PM
yes i think i'll have to leave a small white strip on any future mugs

as i heated up quite a lot on the heater 1st oh well we learn :)

jennywren
27-01-2011, 10:50 PM
To avoid this I leave a small gap top and bottom and don't have a bleed problem, I already have mugs in my cupboard that I have done and still go wrong, when people say the need mugs and don't care wants on them, I make them my best friends in cast they want more.

smitch6
27-01-2011, 11:02 PM
yes i have a few of them now lol
no doubt as i learn more there will be more available as well
i'm already 2/3 of the way through my 1st box and am having a 2nd box delivered tomorrow