PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Tablet and the advantage of LTE.

Earl Smith
04-01-2021, 10:55 AM
My poor old Samsung tablet is about to die on me so Im looking to replace it. Technology has moved on since I bought the old one 6 years ago.
Im looking at the Samsung Galaxy tab S5e https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/samsung+galaxy+tab+s5e+t725n+lte+schwarz+658671
or the same tablet but without the LTE option and 50€ cheaper.
What is the advantage of the LTE option? I really have no idea what it does.

I use the tablet for browsing , watching youtube videos , Facebook and writing messages. Nothing heavy duty.
Thanks.
And a Happy and healthy New year to everyone.

UK Printed Mugs
04-01-2021, 12:42 PM
Stick with wifi only and not LTE (sim card which would need data plan). I use a Tab S5E for work/personal and it is fantastic and use Wifi only. It is hardly the case that I am not at work or at home using it so therefore in a Wifi zone and if out then I look for free wifi. The last resort to being no wifi is just to turn my smartphone into a hotspot (one button press if you have an android phone) and use my phone data plan instead. I would always recommend using a VPN (such as Nord which I use) if using free wifi out and about. So save yourself both the cost of LTE and a new data plan by sticking with the wifi version.

Earl Smith
04-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Stick with wifi only and not LTE (sim card which would need data plan). I use a Tab S5E for work/personal and it is fantastic and use Wifi only. It is hardly the case that I am not at work or at home using it so therefore in a Wifi zone and if out then I look for free wifi. The last resort to being no wifi is just to turn my smartphone into a hotspot (one button press if you have an android phone) and use my phone data plan instead. I would always recommend using a VPN (such as Nord which I use) if using free wifi out and about. So save yourself both the cost of LTE and a new data plan by sticking with the wifi version.

That is exactly how I use my tablet too but I have a pay as you go SIM in it and top it up once a year to ensure I have the use of Whatsapp on it. Its 8€ to top up for a month so it wont break the bank. The rest of the year I connect via Wifi or a hot spots with my Samsung Mobile. The mobile is on a year plan through Aldi Talk. Costs 60€ for one year which is amazing value. Calls cost extra but last year I put an extra 15€ in and that covered the calls. Most of the time my mobile is connected to Wifi too. Serious calls are made with the land line.

Looks like I shall go for the S5e without the LTE. https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/samsung+galaxy+tab+s5e+t720n+wifi+tablet+schwarz+6 58667

Thanks for your advice.

webtrekker
04-01-2021, 05:12 PM
Not particularly related to your question but just a heads-up for anyone tethering their moble to a computer (via wifi hotspot, usb tethering, or bluetooh tethering). We recently moved home for a couple of monthswhile our existing home was refurbished. This left me without internet so I planned on tehthering my phone to my pc just for surfing the net mainly, nothing dramatic.

Well, wifi hotspot was poor and kept dropping out (even though I had a 4G connection) so I used usb tethering. Results were great, no dropouts and a decent speed, HOWEVER, unknown to me Windoze 10 was doing background updates, as was Photoshop, even though I had set Win 10 to say I was using a metred connection.

Result? HALF of my monthly 10Gb data allowance disappeared in ONE SESSION!!!

So, keep an eye on your data usage when tethering unless you have unlimited, uncapped data.