PDA

View Full Version : data base problems :(

Paul
28-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi! is anyone having problem with sending/recieving PM's??? I am geting data base error. So whoever send me a PM (I got 3 in my inbox) please accept my appology for no answering as I can not access it :(

John G
28-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Paul, Haven't got any problems with pm's lately but if you click on the Gallery tab, then "Picture Gallery" it comes up with a problem or missing link/page.

Cheers John

Justin
28-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Yes, there is a server problem that i've just found out about, may well need to take the forum offline for a while, I'll try and let everyone know in advance but I may have to move quickly on this.

jennywren
28-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I did try to pm you will try later

DS Designs
28-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Mine is the same, one PM....Database error

Dave

Ian M
28-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm having the same problem too.

Does anyone else find that when you add to a post & you go back to new posts the thread you just added to disappears?

Ian

Justin
28-01-2011, 09:05 PM
As above, there is a server issue that I'm working on right now.

smitch6
28-01-2011, 10:27 PM
sorry Justin i don't know anything about Vbulletin only SMF

Justin
29-01-2011, 12:11 AM
All in hand but will take some worting, please do not post in the meantime as this may corrupt databases, many thanks.

Mugsman
31-01-2011, 10:14 AM
anyone else still getting database error message ??

Dave S
31-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Yep, still having problems, can't search etc

Justin
31-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm hoping all is now back to normal. Please carry on using the forum and let me know of any problems if you get any. There was a small problem on the host server that has taken them a few days to locate. This was quickly rectified but in the meantime every time we searched/posted etc. the tables became more and more corrupt.

smitch6
31-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Well done Justing
even though i'm still fairly new here
i really missed this place lol

Ian M
31-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks Justin.

Mugsman
31-01-2011, 09:51 PM
yes m8 still cant get my messages

Paul
31-01-2011, 10:01 PM
same here. 5 pm's in the inbox and can not read them :(

this is what I can see when trying to go in to my inbox:

Database error in vBulletin 4.1.0:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT pm.*, pmtext.*
, icon.title AS icontitle, icon.iconpath
FROM vb_pm AS pm
LEFT JOIN vb_pmtext AS pmtext ON(pmtext.pmtextid = pm.pmtextid)
LEFT JOIN vb_icon AS icon ON(icon.iconid = pmtext.iconid)
WHERE pm.userid=4 AND pm.folderid=0

ORDER BY pmtext.dateline DESC
LIMIT 0, 50;

MySQL Error : Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_56a7_0.MYI' (Errcode: 28)
Error Number : 1
Request Date : Monday, January 31st 2011 @ 09:18:36 PM
Error Date : Monday, January 31st 2011 @ 09:18:36 PM
Script : http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/private.php
Referrer : http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/forum.php
IP Address : 86.30.255.145
Username : Paul
Classname : vB_Database
MySQL Version : 5.0.91-community

bms
31-01-2011, 10:27 PM
When I click on any of the links at the top of the forum: Notifications, My Profile, Settings then I get a error as follows:
http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/image.php?type=dberrorDatabase errorThe DSF - The Dye Sublimation Forum database has encountered a problem.

mrs maggot
31-01-2011, 10:31 PM
yep still error on here on messages

Justin
31-01-2011, 11:14 PM
OK, looking into everything again, obviously still outstanding problems.

smitch6
31-01-2011, 11:19 PM
still getting an error when posting replies as well sorry

Justin
31-01-2011, 11:20 PM
It would appear that we are still having problems. please be aware that I may have to re-instate a previous data backup so any posts you make in the meantime may well get lost during this procedure.

Dave S
01-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi Justin,

Still having problems with searching the DB, getting the following error message when I try and search:
The DSF - The Dye Sublimation Forum database has encountered a problem.

smitch6
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
its catching Justin
my forum, chat and email has gone caput tonight
i'm having a nightmare trying to get it sorted :~

Justin
01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Must be on the same host company! I doubt it though :-) Major pain in the backside right now but we'll get there.

swimwivsquid
02-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Just been reading about this and wondered if it had any bearing? http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/01/internet-last-addresses-ipv4-ipv6

JSR
02-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Just been reading about this and wondered if it had any bearing? http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/01/internet-last-addresses-ipv4-ipv6

I wouldn't have thought so. Not every domain name has a dedicated IP address.

mrs maggot
02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
i still cant post (unless it shows up here now)

Ian M
02-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Justin, have we any idea when the problems will be resolved?

Thanks.

Ian

Ian M
02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
i still cant post (unless it shows up here now)

I can see it Laura.

Justin
02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Awaiting contact from the host company now. I've asked for a full explanation as to how this has happened, when the problems will be rectified and what will be done to avoid this happening again in the future. I would prefer not to change hosts again as other than this situation the service has been superb and downtime has been zero but if I cannot be given certain guarantees I will be forced to make changes.

This is an incredibly frustrating time for all of us, please accept my apologies on behalf of the host company and reassurance that I will be doing everything I can to get us running properly again asap!

Ian M
02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks Justin.

smitch6
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks Justin
i speak from experience that its hard work when it goes wrong
i've spent 2 whole days trying to get mine back
my forum is up and working ok but my chat room is still down
the software is supplied by the chinese and its their new year so they are all away

such bad support

my hosting comp have been brill helping out but they can't do the chat unfortunately
but mine just blipped the other day for no reason and the whole lot went down

well weird

JSR
03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Awaiting contact from the host company now. I've asked for a full explanation as to how this has happened, when the problems will be rectified and what will be done to avoid this happening again in the future. I would prefer not to change hosts again as other than this situation the service has been superb and downtime has been zero but if I cannot be given certain guarantees I will be forced to make changes.

This is an incredibly frustrating time for all of us, please accept my apologies on behalf of the host company and reassurance that I will be doing everything I can to get us running properly again asap!

I'm curious to know what the problem is. Unless they've upgraded something without telling you, it's hard to imagine what would cause it to suddenly play up like this - especially as it's now been a few days.

JSR
03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
same here. 5 pm's in the inbox and can not read them :(

this is what I can see when trying to go in to my inbox:

Database error in vBulletin 4.1.0:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT pm.*, pmtext.*
, icon.title AS icontitle, icon.iconpath
FROM vb_pm AS pm
LEFT JOIN vb_pmtext AS pmtext ON(pmtext.pmtextid = pm.pmtextid)
LEFT JOIN vb_icon AS icon ON(icon.iconid = pmtext.iconid)
WHERE pm.userid=4 AND pm.folderid=0

ORDER BY pmtext.dateline DESC
LIMIT 0, 50;

MySQL Error : Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_56a7_0.MYI' (Errcode: 28)
Error Number : 1
Request Date : Monday, January 31st 2011 @ 09:18:36 PM
Error Date : Monday, January 31st 2011 @ 09:18:36 PM
Script : http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/private.php
Referrer : http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/forum.php
IP Address : 86.30.255.145
Username : Paul
Classname : vB_Database
MySQL Version : 5.0.91-community

That error looks suspiciously similar to the error posted here : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/372474-vBulletin-Database-Error.

The problem in that instance appears to be caused by insufficient MySQL space, or insufficient /tmp space. I wonder if MySQL is on a different partition to the rest of the website?

Edit -

I see Justin already has this information from the same forum, re: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/371773-vBulletin-Database-Error, although the "help" he's getting is a touch on the arrogant side. It's the server's fault and "if the host don't fix it, they shouldn't be hosting". The host can't be expected to account for the flaws in every piece of software that might potentially be installed on their servers. I've run a few different forum platforms in the past (not vBulletin), and none have ever had /tmp space problems.

Justin
03-02-2011, 12:43 AM
We thought the issue was with the /tmp space but upon checking found this to be more than adequate. It then looked to be the number of inodes so this was increased greatly and the /tmp partition was formatted. All errors went away and I thought we were back to normal but it quickly appeared tables were being corrupted (as they still are) I'm expecting a full explanation from our host company and will resolve matters as quickly as I possibly can whatever this takes.
The support given on the VB forum as you've seen has been less than useful but this has always been the case no matter what platform I use.

Justin
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
All issues should now have been resolved, I am awaiting an explanation and will detail when I get this. Please let me know if you notice anything different/strange.

Justin
04-02-2011, 10:01 PM
For anyone who's interested in the techy stuff.....

It was a lack of space in the /tmp folder that was causing the problems, this was supposedly rectified some days back but it appears the changes weren't saved by a technician and had to be done again. Changes have been made to ensure this cannot happen again

JSR
04-02-2011, 11:47 PM
For anyone who's interested in the techy stuff.....

It was a lack of space in the /tmp folder that was causing the problems, this was supposedly rectified some days back but it appears the changes weren't saved by a technician and had to be done again. Changes have been made to ensure this cannot happen again

I'm curious to know what size it was and what size it was increased to.

smitch6
05-02-2011, 01:07 AM
its funny that Justin because thats what my host blamed all my problems on was lack of reserve memory

i wonder if thats a back up answer when they don't want to admit something

Justin
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
/tmp was set at 128016Kb, approx. 125Mb but has now been increased to 2Gb. I'm confident this was indeed the problem as the errors I was dealing with all referenced issues attempting to write to the /tmp file. Maybe ask your host the same question and find out the sizes?

JSR
05-02-2011, 11:31 PM
/tmp was set at 128016Kb, approx. 125Mb but has now been increased to 2Gb. I'm confident this was indeed the problem as the errors I was dealing with all referenced issues attempting to write to the /tmp file. Maybe ask your host the same question and find out the sizes?

I wonder why vBulletin needs so much /tmp space? I've just checked my server and the /tmp allocation is just 256MB with less than 40MB used. The server runs several websites and some run forums (none run vBulletin). Nothing's ever complained about lack of /tmp space.

Odd.