PDA

View Full Version : Mug Ovens

Andrew
02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Anyone use an oven bigger than the standard JML oven? Looking at going to the dark side ( well be adding ovens to our presses) but need to produce volume. Does an oven need to be fan assisted or will one without suffice?

My conveyor thread has failed so looking at the static before looking at going down that route. I guess we need to learn the basics but it can be more fun to jump in the deep end...... aslong as you don't drown.

Jacko
03-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I have a JML oven plus 4 mug clamps that I want to sell. Haven't decided on the price yet though. The clamps are the ones sold by Subli Supplies. Also, there's 4 silicone sheets for a tighter fit and a brand new pair of Heat Resistant Gloves. I will work out a price and post it in the for sale section...

Andrew
05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm looking for the bigger ovens really. Probably worth posting it in the 4sale section if you haven't already done so.

bms
05-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a good way of getting an Aga paid for out of the business!

Andrew
05-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd have to also buy a new kitchen then to fit it in. My accountant my have problem squeezing that through as well.

baz
17-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi

Do a search for household "convection ovens". I have been subbing since 2002 and have never used anything else. I never liked mug presses because you cannot print close enough to the handle for my liking. Do some research and look for "sharp" fan assisted convection ovens, I am on my third one in nearly 9 years. I have always bought a "sharp" because they tend to have the largest volume 40 litres. I can cook 9 at a time on the revolving platter (on 2 levels) takes about 25mins. This is what I use www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sharp-r959slm-900w-microwave-oven-black-silver-01063025-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1-[Awin]&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1. These can be had for as little as £170 which is about what I have paid in the past, my present one is a slightly older model but the same.

Hope this helps, any further info help just shout.

Kevin.

Andrew
17-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the advice Kevin. I'm looking at the bigger industrial ovens really and after a meeting yesterday probably heading toward the conveyor type again. I need to get volume through. I did look at buying the desktop ovens and having a row of them but think I would soon get fed up of all that.

I haven't found a oven wrap'clamp that I like yet though. They are all fiddley and over engineered imo. The latte styles with just the silicone wrap and metal edges will do the job. Just need to find a better securing system with the silicone.

Reg
17-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Is this what you want.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/screen-and-transfer-print-mugs-kiln-printer-mug-/190502032433?pt=UK_Crafts_Ceramic_PotteryMaking_SM&hash=item2c5ace5431#ht_500wt_947

Andrew
17-02-2011, 04:31 PM
That's certainly more like it Reg. I wasn't really looking at the screen print option but it has been a consideration lately. If it was just for subli I was looking at 2 which would be slightly smaller so you can swap clamps over and alternate.

Confused me now as I went to see a conveyor in action yesterday.

jennywren
17-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Baz silly questions how do you two levels, and do you use clamps to hold the image on, but loving the concept, jut don't understand how you do it.

baz
19-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi Jenny,

By two levels I simply meant stacking one layer of mugs on top of each other in the oven. What I do is evenly space 5 mugs on the rotating plater, put a circular wire 'baking thing' on top and then put the remaining 4 mugs on top of this. Make sure all mugs are evenly spaced to allow for the air to circulate. Note: any more than 9 mugs will be too heavy and cause the revolving platter to stop which is no good, you want it moving. Reference clamps I use 'cactus wraps' (supplied by Martin @ BMS). I cook 9 mugs at a time for approx 25-27 mins @ 220 degrees, bingo works a treat! I have never used a mug press and have been subbing mugs this way for nearly 9 years without problem.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards
kevin.

baz
19-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Sorry should also have mentioned you are 'oven cooking' and not 'microwave cooking' just to clear up any confusion.

Kevin.

benwilliamson
19-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm looking at the bigger industrial ovens really and after a meeting yesterday probably heading toward the conveyor type again.

Which conveyor oven are you looking at, Hix?