PDA

View Full Version : time and temp for mug machine

Angie-Stitch-Up
29-11-2009, 12:30 PM
your welcome Paul, pleased you liked them.

I would like to ask a question if anyone can help.? I recently bought a JML Halogen oven and have successfully pressed pictures onto ceramic money boxes, but I have only been doing one mug at a time for 12 mins if I had 2 or 3 would anyone know how long I would need to do them for?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Angie :D

John G
29-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi Angie, I haven't got a mug oven but saw these oven settings on another website - don't know how accurate they are but worth a try:

1 mug 12 mins
2 mugs 14 mins
3 mugs 16 mins
4 mugs 18 mins

Cheers John

Justin
29-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Pretty much how long I used to cook them for when I had an oven. I settled on 20 mins for 4 mugs.

Justin :-)

Angie-Stitch-Up
29-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advise. Really helpful, John my patner suggested I come along to the forums if I needed help. Hope you won't get fed up with me. :)

Justin
29-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Not at all, we're all at different levels with sublimation and enjoy helping each other along the way. I've been doing it for a long time but I'm still learning ;-)

Paul
29-11-2009, 02:48 PM
lol if they not fed up with me you should be fine :)

http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_cheers.png

Justin
29-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Just about to print my first money box so you're ahead of me!!!

Angie-Stitch-Up
29-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Hope it turns out as good as mine Justin I was so pleased, I have a mug press thats quite old I bought from ebay ages ago, and I must have cracked more mugs than I made and was so disapointed I gave up. And when John told me I could use my halogen oven I went onto a web and bought the new clamps and the outcome was brilliant. I put the money box in luke water not cold just to prevent any cracks, it just took a bit longer to cool.

Geesh this is quite addictive I will be looking at my computer all day now.

Justin
29-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Hehe, welcome to addiction!

I've never done the boxes so it'll be interesting. I use a DF10 mug press.

Angie-Stitch-Up
29-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Did it turn out Justin?

Justin
29-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Not done it yet. Just running a few other samples for a new customer....keyrings and keepsake boxes first!

Paul
29-11-2009, 04:38 PM
if we start new topic about time and temps for mug machine it would be nice if somone would post some picture of stuff you made. so any one who will read this topic in future will know how those settings work :)

just my tought :P

Stitch Up
29-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Angie's been very busy :) and pleased with her first attempt using the JML Oven

Just one at a time to start with! Do you use the rack?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/datasafe/Printing%20and%20Dye%20Sub/Finished%20Products/JMLMugOven1.jpg

and here's the first results
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/datasafe/Printing%20and%20Dye%20Sub/Finished%20Products/Moneybox1stAttempt2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/datasafe/Printing%20and%20Dye%20Sub/Finished%20Products/Moneybox1stAttempt.jpg

Someone mentioned using the JML extender. Has anyone used this successfully?

John

John G
29-11-2009, 05:16 PM
They look fantastic, well done. Where did you get the clamps from and are they easy to apply and take off.

Cheers John

Justin
29-11-2009, 05:18 PM
They look great !

I notice you did the photos with a small gap top and bottom and not fuill wrap, personally I prefer it with the gap, especially as you can'y print all the way around.

I always used the rack to ensure good airflow. I read that the press doesn't work as well for sublimation with the extender ring. I bought a second oven when I had mine, that can speed things up but obv. you need more wraps.

Great work!

Stitch Up
29-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Angie's really pleased John especially as this was the first attempt. One usually expects to chuck the first lot in the bin!

We used the Ricoh GX7000 Gels Printer with Sawgrass gels. The printing was done using the printer as a share on the network with Powerdriver. The printer was NOT connected to the computer doing the printing.

The mugs were cooked in a JML oven for 12mins (Seems longer, I think the timer is slow) and at 200 deg Cels.

The mug wraps were from The Transfer Press (http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/acatalog/wraps.html) Ref: 04WRP00800 they look a lot better in the hand than in the picture - really well made and easy to put on and take off.

John

John G
29-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for that John - i'm quite happy with my mug press but there's no way it would print top to bottom like yours. Might purchase an oven and wraps in the future depending how the mugs sell.

Cheers John

Angie-Stitch-Up
29-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Guys the clamps are so easy even for me an absoulute breeze to get on and off unlike my other clamps, they were £22 each from a company called TTP and my oven was from Argos. On offer at the moment think that was about 48.00.

Am I allowed to mention companies sorry if I'm not I can put the web page on if I am allowed.

Thanks for the advice Justin about the extender I was going to look into that.

Angie

Justin
29-11-2009, 06:25 PM
No problem mentioning suppliers, it's always useful.

JSR
29-11-2009, 06:36 PM
The mugs were cooked in a JML oven for 12mins (Seems longer, I think the timer is slow) and at 200 deg Cels.
I think I must have a different JML oven to you guys. Out of curiosity, I did a 10oz mug in an adjustable wrap in my JML oven for 12mins at 210C earlier today and it had barely even started sublimating. I have a sublimated line around the bottom of the print (nearest the heat element) and the rest of the mug is still white!

Strange. I seem to need twice as long to press a mug in my oven as everyone else.

Paul
29-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Well done Angie!!! http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_bounce.gif very good!

Angie-Stitch-Up
29-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks Paul,

The clamps I bought from www.thetransferpress.co.uk (http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk) along with the money boxes and canvas which has been one of the best quality canvas's I have had.

JSR mine is a new oven, I wonder if it's worth you getting an oven tempreture gauge I put my money box on it's side for 12 mins at 200.

I am rushing around down my garage doing embroidery orders cooking a roast dinner and enjoying replying on the forum I did type back a moment ago but it's gone so forgive me if it turns up on another thread. Another blonde moment. :D

JSR
29-11-2009, 07:22 PM
JSR mine is a new oven, I wonder if it's worth you getting an oven tempreture gauge I put my money box on it's side for 12 mins at 200.
I think I may have some temperature strips around here somewhere, so I may just do that.

I don't think my oven is under-temperature because I have to turn the temperature *right down* to do colour change mugs - otherwise they scorch and turn yellow. And the time is right because I don't rely on the timer, I use the stopwatch on my watch.

I do use the standoff ring, though. Perhaps I'll try it without that the next time I do some tests and see if that makes a difference. It's possible that it could be acting as a heat-sink (although I wouldn't have throught the effect would be that dramatic).

John G
29-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi JSR, I've heard that people sing the extend ring have to up the times.

Cheers John