PDA

View Full Version : Replacement or repair A3 flatbed press

barryslip
05-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi all

I have a combi-press (looks just like the one in the attached picture) but have a problem with the large A3 flat-bed. Everytime I switch the machine on with the flat-bed connected, it trips the RCD in the house! All the other attachments work fine (mug, plate etc).

I've taken the flat-bed apart and it only contains a couple of insulated wires, but one of them looks very black, kind of singed (?). I moved som of the fluffy insulation around the wires and it kinda worked, but the temperature was reading incorrectly - it melted all the pieces of a cardboard jigsaw together (not much point in a 1-piece jigsaw methinks!!)

So, my question - does anyone know where I can get a replacement flat-bed from, or know how to repair it properly? I'll speak to an electrician next week but not sure he'll know much about them.

The connection is the round connector with the 3-pins.

Thanks in advance...........
Barry

mrs maggot
05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
how old is it ?
did you buy it new ?
what steps have you taken with who you bought it from ?

i would contact an importer or similar machines and see what price they would offer a replacement part for - then you will have an idea if its worth repairing or not. as you have taken it apart now, you will not be able to have any recall to the retailer you bought it from if you bought it new

barryslip
05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry - I forgot to add.... I bought it second hand from eBay about 8 months ago and it's worked perfectly until now. It's probably a few years old too.

Mugsman
05-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Barry has it got a senko timer box ? if it has mine has gone the same way

barryslip
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi Mugsman

I can't see any writing on the timer unit at all! I've attached a photo of it, but doubt whether anyone recognises it!

bms
05-02-2011, 07:29 PM
If it is the control box that needs replacing then these can be purhased separately. We have spares of these for our combination press and I wouldn't have thought the heat plates/ mug press attachments are that different in terms of electrical consumption. The problem may be in how the electrics have been connected to the four pins in the quick connectors. I've not seen that particular control box before, but I would have thought that it would be worth contact other suppliers of combo presses to see if they have the same part available.

barryslip
17-02-2011, 09:23 PM
If it is the control box that needs replacing then these can be purhased separately. We have spares of these for our combination press and I wouldn't have thought the heat plates/ mug press attachments are that different in terms of electrical consumption. The problem may be in how the electrics have been connected to the four pins in the quick connectors. I've not seen that particular control box before, but I would have thought that it would be worth contact other suppliers of combo presses to see if they have the same part available.

Sorry the delay in my response... Thanks Martin, I will try some suppliers.

Regards
Barry

DREAMGLASS
18-02-2011, 10:10 AM
If your flat bed attachment is tripping the RCD, that is caused by an imbalance between the live and neutral wires, usually caused by one of the currents leaking to earth. Essentially the equipment is not safe to use in that condition.

Most platens will have four wires, the two heavier ones going to the heating element and the two smaller ones going to a heat sensor. Sensors are easy to replace, but if the heating element has gone, it is unlikely to be a cost effective repair.

barryslip
18-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Dreamglass - it's exactly as you've described. So are the heat sensors inside the platen itself?

DREAMGLASS
18-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Yep the heat sensor is a small device at the end of the wires called a thermistor. It varies the resistance of the circuit depending on its ambient temperature, which is what gives feeback to the control circuits to maintain the temperature of the platen.

barryslip
18-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Brill - I'll have a look into that!

DREAMGLASS
18-02-2011, 10:32 AM
A faulty thermistor wouldn't blow the RCD though as that is on the separate low voltage side of the control circuit. Only an imbalance in the AC mains circuits will trip the RCD out, most probably caused by a chafed cable coming into contact with earthed metalwork.

Coralgraph
20-02-2011, 01:24 AM
We use to sell similar model 2 years ago,if you drop us a email with some pictures of the connectors and some details i might contact one of our manufacturer to help you with the replacement attachment