PDA

View Full Version : Large Placemat - Faded in the middle.

just4yougifts
06-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Hello,

I'm pressing large placemats ( 32 x 24cm ) in medium/high pressure at 185c for 55 seconds. The problem is that the centre is faded. It has happended as few times.

Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be?

Lynsey

John G
06-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Could be a cold spot on your heat plate.

Cheers John

bms
06-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Often this is caused by moisture in the placemat. Pre-press the item for around 40-50 seconds and it will probably steam a little. Then press the image as normal. What tends to happen is the moisture at the edges of the placemat evaporates away but it can't do so easily in the centre. So the sublimation inks hit the moisture and don't take properly.

I suspect that when you removed the placemat from the press you will have seen some moisture on the bottom of the press.

I would also tend to go for a little longer and hotter - 190 for 60-70 seconds.

just4yougifts
06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
we'll give that a go think it could be the moisture as no problems pressing other materials so far. thanks again,

Andrew
06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I would say heat is the main issue. I do coasters and placemats at 195c for 60 secs. You do need firm pressure but you have already said this is done. Don't forget to have a decent weight in place to avoid the warping after.

purpledragon
07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
heres a hot tip (please no applause for the pun) put ironing board felt on the press bed and place the item being pressed on that. it solved so many niggling problems for me includeing the one you described

just4yougifts
07-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Hello,

The heating of the placemats has sorted the problem, thanks.

I put a heavy object on to stop the 'warping' on the placement but it wasn’t heavy enough so the first few I have done are a bit 'bent'. What is the best way to straighten them out now? Will it be ok to reverse press them for a certain amount of time or will it cause problems with the image?

Thanks
Lynsey

bms
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Just place them back in your heat press and press again for 30 seconds and remove. Then place under a heavy object and leave overnight to cool. Doesn't matter what way up - just cover with a sheet of silicon to protect them.

just4yougifts
07-02-2011, 11:27 PM
OK thats great, thanks