PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh OR Epson ??? New Printer Which to Buy?

munk3y
09-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi guys, newbie on the forum, but been doing sublimation a few years.
Over the years i have used epson printers and have probably gone through 3 in last 30 months, started with C46, D92 and currently using D120 with ciss. the c46 & d92 were used using refillables and d120 a ciss, teh first 2 printers stopped working after about 8-9 month due to clogging and head cleaning wasnt enough, dont get me wrong they were only cheap printers and they did quite a few prints, the d120 cost me a little more and has done 2-3000 mugs (approx 1200 full colour pages) and this morning decided just not to turn on. (ive tried everything, new fuse in plug, new printer lead, but it just wont turn on) so i have to buy a new printer and not sure which to go for...

Shall i buy a Ricoh GXe3300N or another epson with ciss kit?

I have read a few reviews on the ricoh and the majority is good but there are a few negative storys, with only having knowledge of using epson printers i have found them pretty easy to set up and print etc, not having to install profiles and still getting perfect prints, but i'm fed up of the blockages every other day and the paper waste with miscoloured prints.

Is the ricoh as easy to setup and does how does the print quality compare to epson printers? i print mainly mugs but the occassional mousemat and t shirt.

Sorry the post has gone on for a while but your comments and advice are very much apprieciated.

Thanks

Munk3y

bikertec
10-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Never had a Ricoh so I would have to pick an Epson.

bms
10-02-2011, 09:49 AM
If you are thinking of a replacement A4 printer then your options are going to be limited to the Ricoh GXe3300 VERY soon. The B40W is now discontinued by Epson and unless suppliers are holding stock of that printer then it will soon become very difficult to source.

munk3y
10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Yes its A4 printer i require, ive been looking at the Ricoh GXe3300, and that would probably be the one i go for, unfortuanatly i need to order this today, and i just wanted the replacement to be as easy to use as the epson D120 i currently used.

Martin, i'll be calling shortly for a quick chat before i place the order if thats ok.

From reading the forums, am i right in saying that the ricoh's dont get their heads blocked like the epson's? as that was my biggest bug bare having to clean the heads every other day.

JSR
10-02-2011, 01:28 PM
If you are thinking of a replacement A4 printer then your options are going to be limited to the Ricoh GXe3300 VERY soon. The B40W is now discontinued by Epson and unless suppliers are holding stock of that printer then it will soon become very difficult to source.

Out of curiosity, do you know how long it'll take Sawgrass to support the replacement model? I take it they're just going to go with the B42WD and not look at any of the other possibilities?

Kaz
10-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I've got a Ricoh, never had an Epson, so I'd be going for another Ricoh :)

munk3y
10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
just ordered the Ricoh GXe3300N from BMS, fingers crossed will be here in the morning, will let you know how i get on.

Ian M
10-02-2011, 09:15 PM
From reading the forums, am i right in saying that the ricoh's dont get their heads blocked like the epson's? as that was my biggest bug bare having to clean the heads every other day.

I use an Epson S21 & never had a blockage since buying it.

JSR
11-02-2011, 12:09 AM
I use three Epson A3s and a Brother A4. Each have their quirks but, like all equipment, you learn to work with them. If you expect to buy equipment that will never develop an issue, then you're going to be disappointed at some stage. After all, all dye-sublimation printers require you to put third-party ink into a printer that was never designed for it. Square peg in round hole.

If going for a supported option today, I'd imagine that the best printers to go for would be the Ricoh for A4 and Epson for A3 (because Ricoh A4 is similarly priced to the supported Epson A4, but the Epson A3 is significantly cheaper than the Ricoh A3 and the Epson A3 supports larger paper size than Ricoh A3).

That said, if you don't want to be restricted to the supported options, the world's your oyster.

gstk
11-02-2011, 01:03 AM
I had a D88 setup whch was pretty good. It died, so got a D120 - worse thing i ever did. More trouble than it was worth, ditched it after 9 months due to blockages and all that ciss hassle. Bought the Ricoh and it is brilliant. No mess. It has jammed once in 8 months. Never had to do anything else to it. They are faster by a mile. I think it probably works out about 20% dearer to run. I would never never go back.

munk3y
11-02-2011, 02:22 PM
cheers gstk.
ordered the ricoh GXe3300 at 3.45 yesterday, delivered before 9.30am this morning (thanks BMS) not had time set it up yet, but will give it a go this evening.

so got a D120 - worse thing i ever did
yes had a few issues with the D120, blockages all the time and the CISS never auto reset, so half way through prints it would stop asking for cartridge replacement wasting more paper ink and time.

will keep you posted.

Ian M
11-02-2011, 08:51 PM
yes had a few issues with the D120, blockages all the time and the CISS never auto reset, so half way through prints it would stop asking for cartridge replacement wasting more paper ink and time.

I was having exactly the same problems with my D120 too. There were a couple of times I would take the cartridges out to reset them then a chip would decide to go so then had to buy new cartridge chips.

I still have the D120 & my old D88 if anyone wants them for spares.

Ian

valentine rhodes
11-02-2011, 10:48 PM
If you want to get rid of the d88 i`ii have it for spares
Val Rhodes

munk3y
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
right got it all set up last night and working, only downfall at the moment is the print preferences don't give the option to mirror the page to print, believe it or not i use MS Word to print all my mug templates and there is no option to mirror the page in the programme and i used to do it in epsons print prerferences, does anyone know a simple fix for this or do i have to start using CS5 to print the mugs?

gstk
12-02-2011, 05:43 PM
"yes had a few issues with the D120, blockages all the time and the CISS never auto reset, so half way through prints it would stop asking for cartridge replacement wasting more paper ink and time."

Thats exactly the fault we had. Our supplier said they hadnt heard anyone else having that problem! Seems we were not the only ones!!

You wont be disappointed. Make sure you install the powerdriver, not the standard driver. It makes printing so much easier. If you use the standard driver you will have to reverse allimages before printing and theres a risk of mistake. Oh and the first set of cartridges are virtually used up priming the printer. This comes as a bit of a shock and scares the life out of you. I have kept track of all we have printed with it and in the long run its not too bad. Not as cheap to run as a Inkjet. But wiat until you have to replace a cartridge and it takes ten seconds - goodbye CISS headaches

Ian M
12-02-2011, 10:37 PM
"yes had a few issues with the D120, blockages all the time and the CISS never auto reset, so half way through prints it would stop asking for cartridge replacement wasting more paper ink and time."

Thats exactly the fault we had. Our supplier said they hadnt heard anyone else having that problem! Seems we were not the only ones!!

I looked on the web at the time & there were a lot of people having exactly the same problems & all of a sudden Epson replaced the D120 with the B40W that looked just the same but without the extra black cartridge. I spoke to a Rotech supplier who had helped me out with my D120 as at first the red light would not go off with the cartridges he supplied. Turns out at times the chips on the 2 black cartridges would conflict with each other, it was a bit like them arguing who was boss & then they didn't want to play with each other. Epson had a very good idea with that printer just a great shame they didn't perfect it before releasing it for sale.

Ian

gstk
13-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Epson printers in general are getting worse. Its okay banging them out cheap but if they are no good it wastes everyones time. I had a sx115 (not sublimation) and it went wrong after about 4 months. I had to take it to a Epson Repair centre. They told it was knackered. It took Epson 4 weeks to replace. What are you supposed to print with for 4 weeks? Rubbish service.

skru
10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
My first post ! so hello all :) !
As I got 1400 for over year now but never instal Sub -- only problems --- decide to get Ricoh ! can You refer me to good Sub Gel supplier ??

I find this one : http://www.rasmart.co.uk/ShopRASmart/products/360/ricoh-gx-e3300n-ink-set.htm

bms
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Do you have the Ricoh printer already? If not then we have the Ricoh and SubliJetR cartridges at:

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/489/ricoh-sublimation-printers.htm

Justin
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
You'll find a list of suppliers here http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?104-UK-Suppliers, several of which may well supply what you need :-)

Mugsman
10-03-2011, 10:08 PM
i got both 7000 and a R1900 Ricoh all the way for me

smitch6
10-03-2011, 11:09 PM
welcome to the forum

skru
11-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Do you have the Ricoh printer already? If not then we have the Ricoh and SubliJetR cartridges at:

Thanks !! I will use them as I now from USA forum SubiJetR is one of the best ! Is that true that when You start it first time and placeing cartridges , filing up all pipes "charging" use 80% of gel ??

Thanks bms and Justin !!!
Hello smitch6 :)

bms
11-03-2011, 12:19 PM
You will use up around 25-40% of the ink from just 2 cartridges as the printer has 2 print heads. One print head is connected by a longer tube that the other so as the printer primes the ink for the first time some ink from 2 of the cartridges has to fill the tubes, hence the levels drop in 2 of the cartridges, but it's not by 80% and not all 4 cartridges. You don't loose the ink, it just comes out of the cartridges and into the tubes, so none is wasted, but the cartridges do drop in levels.

Kaz
11-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Martin

When I first put the subli carts in my 7000, all 4 levels dropped to about equal measures :(

skru
11-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Martin do bms going on sign&digital with stand this year ??

bms
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
When I first put the subli carts in my 7000, all 4 levels dropped to about equal measures :(
Comments below related to GXe3300 as that was what the thread was referrring to. The GX7000 also has 2 printheads, but less sure about the lengths of the tubes to each printhead on that printer.

Martin do bms going on sign&digital with stand this year ??
Sorry no, far too busy to have the luxury of time away from the office for a show!