PDA

View Full Version : Cotton tshirt printing on light/dark. MagicTouch, Transfer paper or Printable Flex?

jimsters
13-02-2011, 01:53 PM
hi

i know this has been talked about alot and ive read most of the posts on here.
if you are after transfering a photo or something onto a cotton tshirt which is either light or dark what is the best method if you want it to last? im not talking about a promo throw away tshirt.

first there is the magic touch. this seems quite expensive and the transfer paper TTC3.1 for light and OBM5.6 for dark work out at just over £2 per a4 sheet which seems a bit steep. The WOW7.1 work out at just over £3 per sheet! what is the actual quality of this system on tshirts? is it worth the extra and how do the transfers hold up to washing and tumble drying?

transfer paper. there is a lot of different quality and priced transfer paper on the market. if we look at something like the xpress transfer paper as being a good quality one, do these still only really last a few washes? ive seen some people post that they have tshirt transfers lasting 2 years but are these just being washed a special way, printed with certain inks, or just good quality transfers? is there any way of actually getting a good quality long lasting tshirt transfer?

printable flex. i think this is only for dark garments but im not sure. if used with the durabrite epson inks how good is this transfer and how long does it last after washing and can it go in the tumble dryer?

thanks

Bob700
13-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I use Jetpro softstretch from Yolo, washes well with a soft feel to it, if you close your eyes and run your hand over a printed t shirt you can hardly feel when the printed area starts, they sell sample packs of all their inkjet transfer paper so for a few quid you get to try a variety of papers

jimsters
13-02-2011, 05:14 PM
hi,
thanks, but ive seen another member wash these on a 40 wash and all the colours ran making the tshirt useless.
how do you wash the tshirts with these transfers on and have you had any last a good amount of time?

AdamB
13-02-2011, 05:44 PM
hi,
thanks, but ive seen another member wash these on a 40 wash and all the colours ran making the tshirt useless.
how do you wash the tshirts with these transfers on and have you had any last a good amount of time?

Were they printed with dye ink or pigment ink?

Pigment ink will (should) stay fast for the wash cycle - dye ink will wash out

jimsters
13-02-2011, 08:30 PM
no idea on the ink?
so do the yolo ones you use last a decent amount of time?

id also like to hear views on the printed flock and the magic touch system and if its really worth the difference in cost.

gstk
13-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I purchased the first version of the Magictouch Wow after seeing the results it can do. Failed miserably. £150 down the drain. Then was told the new version was a lot better - bought that, wasted about 20 t shirts, umpteen hours and near suicidal tendances (exaggeration) Failed miserably and another £150 down the pan.
I do occasionally use their OBM which is ok but just feels like a big stuck on sticker. I wish I could print pictures without weeding but refuse to throw anymore money at it.

mrs maggot
14-02-2011, 09:05 AM
gstk, have you been on magictouches training days in Luton - im sure given your expenditure with them, and feelings about the product, they will be willing to help, i have said it before i do find them a very good company to deal with and their tech dept is good (you just need the right person).

Bob700
15-02-2011, 09:39 PM
hi,

The ink I use is cheap compatible ink for a D88 and the wife bungs them into the washing machine on what setting, I do not know, all I can tell you is that they are washing very well for me