PDA

View Full Version : jigsaws

valentine rhodes
14-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I`m trying to print some jigsaws.I`m using Tru-Pix sublimation paper, heat press at 190, for 55 seconds. With medium pressure, when i open the press and take the paper from the jigsaw it is leaving an image on the paper, most of the ink looks like it is still on the paper.Am i using the wrong paper? The jigsaw is wooden.

Val rhodes

Justin
14-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Are you printing with the paper on top?

Kaz
14-02-2011, 10:57 PM
I use trupix with jigsaws.

I find there is a lot of ink left on the paper, but it's irrelevant as the image looks amazing.

I also find that I have the jigsaw pieces shape left on the removed paper aswell.

How does your jigsaw look?

valentine rhodes
14-02-2011, 11:14 PM
The print is very feint, i have the jigsaw pieces shape left on the removed paper as well. I`m putting the jigsaw on the press, paper on top, then heat proof paper on top, then shut press, and fire.

Kaz
14-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't put heatproof paper on top of mine.

Are you sure youre printing on the right side of the paper?

Kaz
14-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Oh, and it's a good idea to put a heavy book or such like on top once printed so that the glue within the jigsaw sets again without the jigsaw warping.

Justin
14-02-2011, 11:51 PM
then heat proof paper on top, then shut press, and fire.

Is this just teflon or similar?

JSR
14-02-2011, 11:55 PM
I sandwich mine in between greaseproof paper and a teflon sheet.

Mind you, my pressing times are always a lot higher than everyone else's. I think my press is a bit old. :wink:

bms
15-02-2011, 08:13 PM
it's a good idea to put a heavy book or such like on top once printed so that the glue within the jigsaw sets again without the jigsaw warping

The wooden jigsaws don't have a glue holding the sublimation coating to the backing as these now use the UniSub board. You shouldn't have jigsaw pieces warping as they are so small, but the cardboard backing will warp if not layed flat afterwards!

Assuming your press is getting to 190 degrees then you should get a good transfer at that temp. What printer are you using though and what does the image look like? If you have a Ricoh printer and the image looks light brown in colour then this is because you are too hot for too long!

valentine rhodes
15-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Martin, i`m using an epsom d88, the image is excellant, but it is very feint on the jigsaw, and when i have fired it and open the press i pull the paper off, it looks as if the print is still on the paper, as if it wants more pressure to push the ink onto the jigsaw.

Andrew
15-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Sounds like more heat is needed to me. Have you increased the temp to see is that helps? Just because your press reads 190 doesn't mean that is correct.

bms
15-02-2011, 09:19 PM
as if it wants more pressure to push the ink onto the jigsaw

I doubt it is pressure related. If you have imprints of the jigsaw pieces then the paper is in good contact with the substrate and that's all that's needed. The ink gases off the paper and into the surface so as long as the paper is in good flat contact with the jigsaw then the image will transfer (with adequate heat and temperature). Use one of your used jigsaws and press again at 200 degrees for 75 seconds. That should be too much, but it will demonstrate the quality that you should be getting.

valentine rhodes
21-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Martin, i put the heat up to 200, for 75 seconds, the same result, feint print on jigsaw,lovely print still on paper. The jigsaws i bought as a job lot, from somebody from the forum.Could the jigsaws have a shelf life. I think i will buy some new ones and start again, i dont like being beaten, on something i think i can do.

Kaz
21-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Are you printing on the right side of the paper?

AdamB
21-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Are you printing on the right side of the paper?

if not - you'll have some great transfers on the bottom of your press!

don't think 'you've' mentioned - are the jigsaws you are trying to press wood, plastic or cardboard?

bms
21-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Might be worth checking the original source of these wooden jigsaws. I think TMT used to have some made for their laser printing process so sublimation wouldn't work on them. These, as well as the sublimation ones, look identical but only the sublimation ones have polyester coating - the laser versions don't. That might explain it. Worthwhile buying a small cheap sublimation one (the small 15 piece versions are the cheapest) to test this theory.